Replacement fo Maglite

D

**DONOTDELETE**

First thing guys, I didn't realise there was such a wide variety of quality torches so I thought I'd seek your advice.
Recently, myself or my dad lost a 3 D cell maglite of mine and I'm looking for a replacement.
I don't really want to spend a fortune (maybe $100 £65) on a new torch. I was naturally just going to buy a new replacement maglite but thought I'd ask what alternatives I could look at.

Size isn't an issue as I use it mainly for out near the back of our house so pocketability isn't a huge issue. Searching through the forums here I see the PT Surge is reasonably cheap and a few folks seem to rate it.

I'd appreciate any pointers you can give me and how they compare to my original torch. Thanks in advance.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Brian and welcome to the forum. I see you spotted the Surge. I don't know what the cost is in the UK but it can be had in the States for $23, 24 + s&h. To compare it to the Mag 3D? I have both and the Surge beats the Mag.
The switch is somewhat awkward on the Surge.
The Mag is tougher.
The Surge is lighter and much brighter.
I hope this helps.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are willing to spend $100, you might consider a rechargable like the Magcharger.

Should be much brighter than the 3D and if he liked the 3D, he'll like the Magcharger.

-john

RY3

Enlightened
Originally posted by John N:
If you are willing to spend $100, you might consider a rechargable like the Magcharger.

Should be much brighter than the 3D and if he liked the 3D, he'll like the Magcharger.

-john
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have the similar idea as John but I was thinking about the Streamlight Ultrastinger.

I recently got one and I like it. It is smaller and lighter than my 4C cells Maglite but much brighter. I don't have the Surge but from the comments here in CPF, it is brighter and throw longer distance than the Surge.

Ron

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the Streamlight Ultrastinger is brighter/better than the Surge (I have both) but the stated limit on price rules out both the Magcharger and the US. Both of these torches will cost more than $100 in the UK but by how much I do not know.
Any UKers out there know?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you for your replies folks. I'll take a look at those alternatives although I seen the Magcharger kit for £125 in the UK so it's way above my price range.
Out of interest are any US sites recommended as I've found it's often much cheaper to buy from the US than the UK and quite often theres a much better selection of products too.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Qvar. Wait until some of our UK folks get home from work and start answering your questions. There is another Irishman active on this board by the name of Arab. He may be of some help.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
But that SL6 is a spot light.... can anyone comment on it's spill light? From what I heard, the center spot is extremely focused.