Should I still get Nitecore D10?

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Lately I've been thinking that the Nitecore D10 R2 is the AA light to get--small with low low and good high with functional use of 14500 li-ions. However, several threads have highlighted some problems with the light not functioning properly after a short time without some careful attention.--e.g. turning on by itself because of slight shaking. It appears that the piston action is quite sensitive. I really don't like the thought of having to spend the money only to have to immediately work on it.

Is this a deal breaker or would you recommend I still get the light, and why? Would anyone know what % of these lights have these issues?

sygyzy

Enlightened
I think Nitecores are some of the best fit and finish quality lights out there but my two (D10 and EX10) are the only lights that cnosistently give me trouble. Put it this way, if I were to ever really rely on my light as a LEO or active duty military, it would not be Nitecore. It pains me to say since Nitecore is the darling of the forums and I think they are great in every way except the piston drive. I am not sure if all PD's are flawed since I don't own any other lights using them besides the Nitecores.

If the D10 is your 5th, 6th or 7th light, then get it. If you actually need a light that turns on (or off) when you tell it to, then skip it.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I have both a D10 and D20 and have had no trouble with either of them. These are amazing lights, especially the D10 which just seems to have got everything right.

The piston drive works flawlessly on both of them. I haven't had to take them apart, or clean them, or replace the lube. They have been perfect out of the box. The UI is not complicated, but will certainly reward a little bit of time reading the manual (and various reviews) to understand exactly how everything works.

It may be that I'm lucky, because certainly there are people who have had trouble - but I guess that would be the same for any light. Any design can have problems, and even a few dozen out of thousands of lights shipped means that you would see quite a few posts from people asking for help. Apart from reviews, the large number of satisfied customers just don't have a lot of reasons to post I guess.

I would not let the reported problems put you off - so long as you order through a reputable dealer, you will be sure of help in the unlikely event that you do have any trouble.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I have the D10 and I also have to report that it has worked flawlessly right out of the box. It's seen some heavy usage as an EDC for a while and as an around the house light. It's been dropped onto rocks and into the snow. Survived the waterproof test (washed off a bunch of mud using the garden hose under high pressure), still works awesome. No glitches, nothing.

gunga

Flashaholic
I have a few D10s. Most have been pretty good out of the box, tho I have seen a few that have had issues. They tend to need a bit of setup (clean, lube adjust etc). I've never had a D10 turn on or off by shaking it or dropping it. The piston drive works for most but some just don't like it.

They are still some of my favorite lights.

If you want a standard AA clicky light I'd suggest:

- Lumapower Connexion (X2)
- Quark AA
- Nitecore Defender Infinity.

All work with 14500s too.

ironhorse

Enlightened
I have an EX10 that I have used daily for almost a year and I have not had any problems with it. It is my favorite light.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a problem with my D10
When I swap out my Eneloop AA cell, I clean the edge of the piston drive on my shirt sleeve as a quick cleaning. About every 3 months I take it apart, clean it, add some lube and clean the brass contact point with alcohol. It has been in use since July 2008 and served me well with no issues.
It has some of the finish worn but after 4 months in Afghanistan, it was to be expected. Can't wait for a D10 with an XP-G LED in it, brighter, longer running and no rings in the beam sound like a keeper to me.

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
I'll echo what's already been said. I've EDCed my D10 R2 since April or so, and the first problem I had was last week, when the positive contact came off after a direct tail drop on to concrete. Mind you, the light still worked perfectly with alkalines and all my NiMHes, but the wider button top of my TrustFire 14500s wouldn't make contact. Eric at 4Sevens.ca fixed it for me without any hassle.

Despite that, I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend the light to anyone. I don't treat my light with kid gloves (nor do I abuse it), and it wears its bumps and scrapes with pride, and still works like it did on day one.

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Mine's back at 4Sevens currently. It drained batteries when off "parasitic drain" is what they called it. Apparently they knew about the issue with the circuit and are replacing the head. Good service. I really like the light too.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my first Nitecore, an EX10 has circuitry problems, sent it back and the one that came back was good.

No problems with it until I got a Ti body for it. The switch button on the head gets jammed by the Ti body initially. Jammed it a bit, and it seems to be working fine again.

So based on my experience, QC is 120% important especially with its PD design.

Konad

Newly Enlightened
My first and only Nitecore is a EX10 also. It has been in my pocket daily for four weeks without a fault, still the same battery. From what I hear if there are any problems with a D10 or EX10, 4sevens doesnt hesitate to get it right.

McLux

Newly Enlightened
I believe that a D10 or EX10 requires more maintenance than a "normal" flashlight with a clickie. I had a cheap ultrafire C3, and I didn't lube the o-rings or threads for 2 years now. Never cleaned the contacts, and still working fine. Since I have a D10, I had to buy silicone grease and contact spray to let it work flawless. It is a great light, if you take the time for maintenance a few times a year. For the real hard work, I prefer a clickie.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like an excellent value, just too many red flags for my comfort.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I have been lucky or what? Had purchased 5 pieces of D10 and 4 pieces of EX10, either in Q5 or GDP versions and have never had any problems with them. I don't really need to maintain them regularly and they still work fine. The last time I ever greased the threads was about 7 to 8 months ago.

I just love the very practical UI for practical purposes. One particular D10 (Q5 version) has been in my pocket everyday ever since I bought it early to mid last year and the anodizing looks rather worn from all those rubbing it had with my coins and keys. Other than that, it is still a very functional light with no hiccups at all.

I have only had encountered twice when the D10 turned on accidentally in my pocket under pressure from my coins as I was sitting down. Other than that, the light remains off in my pocket.

I do own the Defender Infinity in GDP version but that is another story. In terms of multistage usage and practicality, the D10 or EX10 are better. But if you need to do more of a momentary flash once in a while, get the Defender Infinity.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well during my 2 months of EDC'ing my EX10, i never lubed/maintained it in anyway, and i don't see why would anyone need to check it up few times a year.
I believe that a D10 or EX10 requires more maintenance than a "normal" flashlight with a clickie. I had a cheap ultrafire C3, and I didn't lube the o-rings or threads for 2 years now. Never cleaned the contacts, and still working fine. Since I have a D10, I had to buy silicone grease and contact spray to let it work flawless. It is a great light, if you take the time for maintenance a few times a year. For the real hard work, I prefer a clickie.

McLux

Newly Enlightened
Maybe my contact problem was a one-time event, but dirt & dust is comming in the gap of the piston and makes the grease dirty and the piston travel less smooth. (Maybe I'm just a dirty boy with greasy fingers :naughty:)

Last edited:

98k Plinker

Newly Enlightened
I've had my D10 since August 4, 2008 and use it everyday in a metal working enviroment. It was trouble free untill about May 2009 where it started experancing erratic operation it will not stop ramping down.

I sent it back to 4sevens, they cleaned it up for me. tested and came back fine from the tests. they mailed it back to me and has worked fine since. So i guess all it needed was a good cleaning, shame on me.

I certainly would recommend it , Great light it serves me very well.