Angryfox        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olight M30 nabs burglar, thanks to CPF

Buttrock Olight M30 nabs burglar, thanks to CPF

Just wanted to share a quick story from last night at work.

I received a call of a burglary in progress from a concerned citizen. I entered a house under construction which had no power and was pitch black.

Another officer arrived on scene before me and had cleared the basement already.... or so he thought.

Unfortunately our department issued out the streamlight polystinger awhile ago, and most of the lights have either crapped out, or the rechargeable batteries can barely hold a charge, resulting in a dim orange light when the flashlight is turned on. The first officer that checked out the house had the above light.

Not too long ago, thanks to cpf, I purchased the Olight M30 and had it with me last night. This light lit up the house like a Christmas tree, and when I swept the basement, I easily spotted the offender hiding underneath the stairs. Everyone was impressed by the Olight and even the a-hole that broke into the house commented on its blinding brightness.

A lot of guys I work with don't really care or maintain their flashlight for whatever reason. Most of them rely on the side spotlight on the squad car or the city street/alley lights to light everything up, and in most cases thats all you need - but not all.

I just wanted to take the time and share this story with all of you, and just to thank you collectively. I wouldn't have bought the Olight M30 without the info you all expertly and freely post on cpf. I just wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate the time everyone takes to check and re-check data and the effort that it takes to test lights and submit reveiws of new lights that become available.

In short, and
    Last edited by JeffInChi; 09-15-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Default Re: Olight M30 nabs burglar, thanks the CPF

good stuff i could see you having a flashlight briefcase in the trunk and when the time calls you bust it open and have several choices for the need , tiablo aspheric for distance spotting , tk40 M30 for clearing wall of light etc.

Outer Galactic Rim Of The Coruscant Star System

Thank you for sharing that JeffInChi! And even more thankful for your service to our community.

Great story!

Flashaholic

Yes thanks for sharing that, pity the force don't issue these!!
    I have learned a lot from my short time on here, and it has saved me money not buying rubbish.
    I have a lot of respect for what you guys do, much more so in your country than mine(uk) as there are not many guns here, but slowly getting worse.
    Anyway thanks for the story, and stay safe.
    tabetha

Great story! Perhaps there might be a market there for you ( if the department wont upgrade the lights). In either case, it looks like you raised their awareness for the need.

And Tabitha,
    "...(uk) as there are not many guns here, but slowly getting worse "
    Or "better" depending on who has the guns. I believe that excessive gun control just take the guns out of the hands of the innocent/law abiding citizens and leaves them prey to the crimminals that don't follow the laws or cultural restraints.

Careful guys, this is a story about flashlights, not guns. Start another thread if you want to discuss that issue.

Bill

Sorry....it was brought up, so I responded. I'll not say another word in this thread.

Jeff, thanks so much for keeping our fine Urbs in Horto safe! ...And for a great story! Makes me happy when we get the bad guys off the street.
    Galadriel: I give you the light of Ešrendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Great story Jeff. Did you tase the offender?
    Peace!
    Sygyzy
    www.sygyzy.com | Hall of Fame: js, MrBulk, Litho123, Dark Zero, Lips, Milkyspit, StarHalo

Nice story!

to OfficerJeffInChicago --

Best of Luck (and health) to you, whilest on patrol.

Nice job. Hope the light serves you just as well in the future. Who knows, he may have snuck up behind you or your colleague and inflicted on someone an injury if you hadn't spotted him.

I hope the guy gets what he deserves, but let's not forget how fortunate we are that we don't have to resort to a life of crime.

Some people are driven by necessity, others by badness.
    www.anarkypaintball.com Constantly looking for SHINEY things
    Some people are like slinkys. They have no real good use, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face

Flashaholic*

Did the bad guy ask to see your light?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by qip View Post
    good stuff i could see you having a flashlight briefcase in the trunk and when the time calls you bust it open and have several choices for the need , tiablo aspheric for distance spotting , tk40 M30 for clearing wall of light etc.

Have you been spying on me?

I feel ashamed..I have an HID, DBS MCE, Malkoff P7 magmod as my primary, Dereelight on my vest, an ultrafire wf-1200 for a spare and my Olight I'm loaning a friend...and I'm not even in patrol anymore...

In reality, anything brighter than 100 lumens is brighter than any "police light" the departments issue. Many of my friends have purchased Eagletacs, Olights, magmods, etc and they all get the "holy S#%T!" factor from suspects, bystanders, and other cops from allied agencies when they turn them on. These lights are the future and really are worth their weight in gold to us ninjas.

I've had the same experience quite regularly. A coworker searches an area with a older, dimmer light and finds nothing. I re-search the area with whatever I'm packing and find the suspects. Beyond the comedy value, there is a significant safety factor in not walking past a suspect who could attack you from behind. It has happened.

Awesome story!

Could I ask what holster you use for it?

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

leos should have the best flashlights available purchased for them using the
    publics taxes.

and replaced every year with the latest and greatest.

id be happy to pay an extra $100 a year tax so my local leo can carry a great light.

^ my 0.2 cents.
    If and when the the big dookie hits the fan, and global chaos ensues, i want a couple of quality AA lights within reach.

JeffInChi,

That's a great story and thanks for serving the public!

It's a shame that LE department's budget contraints make it down to important gear like flashlights. It's also a shame our officers have to buy their own gear to replace what they have that is questionable.

The FBI and Law Enforcement should set standards for lights, like they do for service weapons, ammunition, and vests. Minimum lumens, minimum runtime, and even recharge time should be considered.

It's a great disservice to our fine LEOs not to see they have top notch flashlites.

Good job JeffInChi, keep up the good work! and stay safe!
    and well lit!
    'We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb" -Thomas Alva Edison

Olight is a very nice brand. There has been some confusion lately, and I wonder how they will be a year from now.
    "For every good deed, there is an equal an opposite bad deed."

Thumbs up Re: Olight M30 nabs burglar, thanks the CPF

JeffInChi

Way to go!

Unfortunately the scumbag perp didn't allow himself the experience of BOTH ends of the M30 STIKE BEZELS interacting with his skull.

That instant on strobe feature should be heplful in some situations.

I think the M30 is an ideal light for LEOs.

Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    Great story Jeff. Did you tase the offender?
    No, no tasing necessary, once I lit him up with the light, he tried the "statue approach" as if I wouldn't be able to see him and move on, which is kind of like when the ostrich would stick his head in the sand in the cartoons to avoid being seen. I convinced him it would be in his best interest to come out on his own free will rather than making me go underneath the stairs and dragging him out.

Quote Originally Posted by glockboy View Post
    Did the bad guy ask to see your light?

I think he was too blind to see it even if I wanted to let him see it

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    Awesome story!

Could I ask what holster you use for it?
    I used to carry an Inova T5-MP somewhere in between the M30 and the streamlight polystinger. The Inova is built like a tank (I even dropped it about 3 stories down onto asphalt once, still works!), but I wanted something brighter with a little less "blue" in the tint. When I bought the Inova I also bought a custom holster for it from flashlightsunlimited.com here:

http://flashlightsunlimited.com/inovat5.htm

Luckily, the Olight fit fairly well in this holster, even with the clip

Thanks for the kind words everyone

JeffInChi, you simply got what you paid for. So thank yourself
    Maglite 4D Incad., Solitaire, 3D LED Jetbeam Jet-I MKII R, Jet-III PRO Ti, Jet-Ti M, TC-R3 ,TC-10 Fenix LD01 SS Surefire C2 4Sevens Quark AA Ti, Quark Mini AA, Preon 0

Thanks for sharing a great illumination story! Another great way to spread the word about the usefullness of quality lights.
    My lights are so bright they have to wear shades

Default Re: Olight M30 nabs burglar, thanks to CPF

I think police departments should seriously consider changing their old incan flashlights for high power led, the burglar was hidden and they unable to spot him, this is no joke..

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkWerx View Post
    JeffInChi,

That's a great story and thanks for serving the public!

It's a shame that LE department's budget contraints make it down to important gear like flashlights. It's also a shame our officers have to buy their own gear to replace what they have that is questionable.

The FBI and Law Enforcement should set standards for lights, like they do for service weapons, ammunition, and vests. Minimum lumens, minimum runtime, and even recharge time should be considered.

It's a great disservice to our fine LEOs not to see they have top notch flashlites.

Good job JeffInChi, keep up the good work! and stay safe!
    and well lit!
    You know, this is sort of an interesting side topic. LE agencies don't seem to prioritize lights, including mine. Yet, it isn't a problem of insufficient money, at least for us. I think someone asked command staff about giving us a "flashlight allowance" and the answer was, "We'll see, but for now you can buy and use whatever you want." That pretty much takes the pressure off headquarters to issue us something other than an incandescent Stinger.

Another local agency allows its officers to buy and use their own weaponlights, but won't buy them for the officers. My agency only buys a few long gun weaponlights, but not handgun weaponlights, which is still being "evaluated" after we were told initially, "You don't need handgun weaponlights." Our handguns have rails, so . . .

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInChi View Post
    Unfortunately our department issued out the streamlight polystinger awhile ago, and most of the lights have either crapped out, or the rechargeable batteries can barely hold a charge, resulting in a dim orange light when the flashlight is turned on. The first officer that checked out the house had the above light.
    Sounds dangerous (and creepy). Good on ya for showing them how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by bkumanski View Post
    I feel ashamed..I have an HID, DBS MCE, Malkoff P7 magmod as my primary, Dereelight on my vest, an ultrafire wf-1200 for a spare and my Olight I'm loaning a friend...and I'm not even in patrol anymore...
    That's perfectly OK, CPF has a three-step program for that:
    1. Buy lights.
    2. Join CPF.
    3. Buy better lights. Repeat Step 3 as needed, no shame is necessary.

As someone already posted, most law enforcement agencies don't have a problem with money when it comes to buying lights for the ground pounders. They just don't understand how fast things change in the real world. Also once you promote off of the street you forget what actually happens on patrol. Many of my coworkers use the lights that my department provides without another thought. I am considered a "flashlight guy" and as soon as we are searching for someone in a dark field, they call me.

His choice of the M30 for patrol is a very good one. But, his department would probably never buy them because they are not a "Brand name". Even though it will probably last longer and work better than the lights they did buy.

Good job on taking the initiative to buy your own equipment and great job finding the burgler (don't you love it when they need to CONVINCED to come out on their own).

Flashaholic

Excellent work!

The M30 is my bed-stand light (along with a Sig P220) and having survived an armed robbery once in my house, the M30 is the type of light I want to light up the dark night!

Kudos!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast