Confused about Dereelight dbs v3 r2

light obsessed

Newly Enlightened
Is the dbs r2 fully regulated meaning the led will produce the max amount of rated lumens until the battery 18650 can no longer provide the led with the power needed to for the amount of lumens? Will the 1SM-2(1-stage multi power) pill work with 1 18650 battery or does it require 2. Does the pill have overdischarge protection like the 1s? Are any of the comparable tiablo flahslights fully regulated?

bkumanski

Enlightened
I have this pill. The 1SM-2 is regulated on 2 cr123s, direct drive on an 18650. Even with the 18650, it is near full brightness for over an hour, then just recharge. They do have pills regulated for a single 18650, but then you can't use any other battery combinations. The "M" stands for multi voltage. The 1S only run a single voltage (hense only one battery combination) but you are fully regulated. Just depends on what batteries you need to run.

Last edited:

bkumanski

Enlightened
Flat runtime at full or near full brightness with a sudden drop to dead at the end. The 18650, however, will run nearly 2 hours before reaching 50% brightness. Its kind of a gentle slope down and you really won't notice until after about 1 1/2 hours. Also, in regulated mode, it has less runtime but constant output. Kind of a trade off. Just depends on what you will use it for. Like I said, I have the 1SM-2 pill and use the 18650. I got this pill though because I use it for work and in case I can't get to a charger, I can run CR123s in it as well. I just charge it every couple of days and I never noticed any dimming perceptible to my eyes.

Flashcrazy (Jay) knows a lot about these pills too. He sells them all at flashlightconnection.com. Shoot him an email or PM, he has all the answers about these lights.

light obsessed

Newly Enlightened
The 1s pill is probably fully regulated for an 18650. What do you think of the quality of the dbs?

bkumanski

Enlightened
Yes, the 1s is designed for the 18650 and is regulated. I like my DBS and the build quality is very good. I like that it is upgradable (I have several pills including the MCE) and can change them easily. I like its simplicity, no bells, whistles, or funny bezels or tailcaps. Sure it is plain looking, but it is a work light and I need simple. The DBS is known for being a thrower, however I use it with the MCE OP reflector because I use it at closer ranges. The MCE version isn't quite as bright as some of the other MCEs, but like I said, form is as important as function and a smooth body is important to me. Plus, you get a large choice of LEDs and color tints. Also, the 1SM-2 pill will be regulated if you use 2 18650s (with longer extension)or 2 18500s (with the shorter extension, which I prefer). Its the voltage that makes it regulated and the two batteries are needed to make it regulated. If you don't need multi modes, this is, in my opinion, the best pill, especially for tactical use.

light obsessed

Newly Enlightened
What kind of tint would be best for visibility and throw? I like the cool look of the wc. Dereelight claims it is water proof and it does have double the seals of comparable flashlights. Have you tested it in the water? The flashligh seems to be one of the most user freindly in this size as far a changing the pills. Does Dereelight update thier pills when a new led comes out?

Last edited:

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight Does an excellent job of keeping up with technology! If you need throw, you probably want a smooth reflector. Four Outdoor use, I would suggest you get the 5B Q4. I own a DBS, and I have had several pills, (3S Q5, 1S R2, 1S 5A Q3, 1SM Q5, 1SM R2, 3S 5B Q4) but my all time favorite is the 5B Q4! Excellent tint with very little sacrafice in lumens. Dereelight is underated IMHO.

light obsessed

Newly Enlightened
Do you own a vector pob? If so how does the throw compare to the dbs? Do you have the aspherical lense for the dbs? Would you say the aspherical lense is worth the price for the amount of throw it puts out? What is the difference between q4 and r2 leds?

Last edited:

jenskh

Enlightened
If you can get hold of a pill with an R2 WH led, that is what I would recommend for the DBS. I also have several other pills. Right now I am using a Q4 B5 pill in my CL1H for pleasant general lighting, and the WH pill in my DBS for maximum throw.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is wh the most visible? Is q4 the same led as the r2 just a different tint?

They are both Cree XR-E's. Q4 and R2 are flux bins (basically how efficient the LED is), WH is a tint bin. The R2 will be brighter than the Q4 when they are both driven at the same current. The WH tint is in the cool white family and has a green/yellow tint. Some people prefer this to other tint bins, like WC, which are cooler, more blue/white in tint. Some people find the WH tint to render out door colors better.

The 5B tint is a neutral white (warmer color temp than the WH which is in the cool white group) and looks more like an incan beam. Many find the 5B is even better for out door use than WH as it renders a lot of out door colors even better than the WH. So far the most efficient bin we have seen 5B available in is Q4.

Dereelight drives the Q4 and R2 at 1.2A. So if you go Q4 it will be less bright and run hotter since it is less efficient. However you can get the warmer color temp 5B tint.

light obsessed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your information. Do you use protected lithium ions in your dbs. Have they given you any problems? I am thinking about paying more for a pila charger. The pila charger is said to be the best non professional charger and can be used safely with unprotected batteries. This makes me think that it would be better to get an unprotected 18650 and use the pila charger. That way I wouldn't have to worry so much about the somewhat fragile protecion circuitry in a protected cell.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use protected AW 18650's in my DBS. I never had a problem with them. Protected cells also prevent the cells from shorting out or letting too much current flow. You're not just protecting against over discharge and over charging.

jenskh

Enlightened
I use both unprotected and protected Ultrafire and Trustfire Li-ion cells, and have not had any problems with them.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Dereelight claims it is water proof and it does have double the seals of comparable flashlights. Have you tested it in the water?

I am a caver and wear my MC-E DBS on my belt in muddy wet caves. I'm not concerned at all to crawl thorugh mud and water passages and have yet to have a problem with water entry despite the extreme conditions in caves.

In comparison, I ended up selling my Eagletac M2CX4 because it had to be dissassembled after caving to clean out condensation and mud from the control ring. Although that light performed well, it was not durable enough for my needs.

Yes, the Deerelight is not the most flashy light, but it is very solid performer and the modular upgradeable design is a real winner in my eyes!

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your information. Do you use protected lithium ions in your dbs. Have they given you any problems? I am thinking about paying more for a pila charger. The pila charger is said to be the best non professional charger and can be used safely with unprotected batteries. This makes me think that it would be better to get an unprotected 18650 and use the pila charger. That way I wouldn't have to worry so much about the somewhat fragile protecion circuitry in a protected cell.

I use AW's protected cells in all my lights including my 4 Dereelights (2 DBS's, a CL1H and a C2H). I use the charger AW sells for them (don't remember the model number right now, but he still sells them last I checked) and I haven't had a problems yet. Of course, I'm not beating people over the head with my lights either! :twak:

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
I use only protected cells in all my 18650 lights - I cannot see any reason to NOT use a protected cell.

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
The R2 WH is fantastic for outdoor use. The color rendition is absolutely wonderful.

light obsessed

Newly Enlightened
How is the 3sd pill? I heard it had some noise when switched to low mode. Is that fixed now? Im guessing that this pill is fully regulated on an 18650 am i right?