Craftman 400 lumen Bridgelux

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just came from Sears. They have a $50 400 lumen work light (bar with magnets, sit upright or hook). Looks like to me, 4 6 die Bridgelux leds. I got to pull out of package and turn on in the bright store. Tint looked blue, and it did look like you could run and charge light at same time (main deciding point for me)--though not sure if I was deceiving myself.

I didn't buy.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't see at sears.com or dorcy.com Part is dorcy 12498 I would need to buy to get a pic or lurk in store with camera.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-316-41-4225-led-rechargeable-high-power-worklight.aspx

Use coupon code FALL for a 15 percent discount :sssh:

And according to that, it uses Nichias.

If this light uses Nichias, it is definitely not same light...unless Nichia bought Bridgelux stuff and marketing them under their name. The light in store had 6 die, identical to the pics in Bridgelux thread. Then, most certainly, the person who wrote the splash probably knows nothing about leds, but has a nice BA degree and job. This is expected with packaging.

If I bought one, I would be interested in beefing up the battery pack. Or at least ability to charge and use at same time. Might make a good mower or floody handle bar bike light. But a work light that is indirect (not on head) needs to be very bright, or super long running and portable (mostly forgotten, once turned on) .

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this light uses Nichias, it is definitely not same light...unless Nichia bought Bridgelux stuff and marketing them under their name. The light in store had 6 die, identical to the pics in Bridgelux thread. Then, most certainly, the person who wrote the splash probably knows nothing about leds, but has a nice BA degree and job. This is expected with packaging.

I disagree, looking the picture on Bright Guy's site they LED's clearly have a white base (very Nichia looking), not metal looking like the Bridgelux. Maybe the Craftsman does use a different LED type, but looking at that picture and looking at Nichia's site, it looks like one of the ones below where it says Helios, which I am unable to find any more info about on the web.

EDIT: After doing some seaching around the web and on here, I found a thread on the McGizmo SunDrop and there's a little talk about the Nichia 183, just mentioning that it's multidie. I'll continue searching for a close up.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have 4 leds in the light. If same, should not some one be able to push out 800 lumens if you hacked into the power supply? They probably would be pushing the batteries at 1.2 to 1.4 amps on high. Probably 2500 AA rechargeable.

They state insert of package that if you charge longer than 8 hours, your warrantee is void! No cutoff, really their fault. My $20 6volt trickle charger has a cutoff; I wonder if that could be used to charge the NiMHs.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's alright, the specs on Nichia's site match the specs on Dorcy's site of 4 100 lumen emitters. I assume that this only has 1 mode?

Package didn't mention modes. Probably, not since it is designed for shop guys that only use in bursts. The one website says 4 hours, the insert says two hours. Hopefully some one will buy.

jtice

Flashaholic
I have been looking at the Dorcy version
was thinking of getting it from Brightguy.com
Has anyone messed with one of these yet?

~John