Upgrading my 4C MagLite

EdNemo

Newly Enlightened
I am ordering a decent flashlight now, but was wondering if anyone had any advice on increasing my 4C maglite's light.

I want to keep using C batteries as this is going to be a house light. But the more powerful the better. What are my options?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am ordering a decent flashlight now, but was wondering if anyone had any advice on increasing my 4C maglite's light.

I want to keep using C batteries as this is going to be a house light. But the more powerful the better. What are my options?
4x IMR 26500 "C" Cells + Osram HLX 64633 150W 15V.

JamisonM

Enlightened

How bright you want this thing to be?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Easiest option which retains the use of NiMH/NiCD or Alkaline C cells would be a P7 upgrade, emitter, heatsink & suitable electronics driver (or direct drive with a resistor/dummy C cell) would provide nice output for relatively little effort, additionally as you get to retain the original lens & reflector there's less $$$ outlay :thumbsup:

700~900Lm (which is the equivalent of 9 to 11 times that of a Maglite 3D output) is more than sufficient around the house for any if not all domestic applications, things like "startling" the raccoons going through your rubbish bin to fixing a blown fuse OR impromptu vehicular maintenance ;)

Runtime is respectable on Alkalines though you get a reduced output (when compared to NiMH/NiCD/Lithium) and a ongoing decline in output as the batteries discharge :cool:

Joben

Newly Enlightened
What about the Maglite brand drop in conversions you can buy at Walmart? Are those any good?
I've been looking to upgrade the old 2 D cell light that's sat beside my bed for years.

GPB

Enlightened
I've had both the mag LED and the Terralux and I'd vote for the terralux. Unless you find the magLED's at a seriously reduced price because Mag's going away from the interchangeable LED/Incan thing.....the price is about the same, but performance is considerably better with the Terralux.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah the MagLED PR style "drop in" has less heatsinking & thermal throttling (reduces output as it heats up) but with a little effort can be modded into something really special :thumbsup:

If you want to go the reversible LED modification path you're pretty much limited to LED upgrades from MagLED, Terralux, Diamond-LED, Malkoff Devices OR Nite ize

There are also generic drop ins but I would steer clear of those unless you can live with 0.5w performance (yeah I've got one), I should also mention the available Diamond-LEDs appear to everything but white LED ;)

lolzertank

Enlightened
What is a USL?

lol the first result a google search turned up was this thread.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1106096 is the index of all the threads about the USL.

In summary, it is a Mag 2D slightly bored out to take 11 high current NiMH AA cells. The plastic reflector and lens are replaced with an aluminum reflector and a Borofloat/Pyrex lens. The PR bulb socket and switch are replaced with a bi pin socket and a different, shorter switch. Finally, the bulb is replaced with a 100W Osram 62138 bulb. This thing produces about 3000 lumens and looks exactly like a normal 2D Mag from the outside.

I think it's also possible to stuff 12 2/3A cells and a 4/5 sub C cell into a tribored 2D as well for a 15.6V battery pack, perfect for driving a 100W 64623 bulb.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could some one elaborate on this mod? I am interested in trying it but can't find any other references to this 4C setup
Thanks
you have to bore out mag to take 26xxx cell.
I build a mag with this bulb, very bright, and very hot, you'll need some good bulb holder, I do not even know where to get 6.35 holder for C mag, you'd have to make one yourself.
also, you'll be running 10A, you want to do spring mod to lower resistance, stock switch is also I would not be using under 10A, you need high current switch, you could either make one yourself, or get tailcup switch, look into b\s\t\ section, may be someone selling or building one.

you'd also need aluminum reflector, and borosilicate glass, those things too you can find, look for member fivemega, he sells reflectors, and more, may be glass too.

also you do not want to run it long, this bulb will heat C mag very fast, the handle will be too hot to hold(unless in gloves), it'll also prbly damage first cell by overheating, at least with D you do not have hot tube wrapping cells, there is some space that insulates cells from hot battery tube.
still this light will run for minutes in total, and not for long in between, not practical light at all,

Last edited:

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I replaced the bulb in my 3C MagLite with a Terralux LED. It puts out a lot of light and I am very pleased with it. That light is my bed side light along with other items.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

Maybe you are looking for something brighter, but the LED bulb does everything I want, and I also use C adapters with AA eneloops since I do not use the light much and do not want the alkalines to leak. I think C size nimh are too expensive for my needs.
Jerry

Poppy

Flashaholic
Could some one elaborate on this mod? I am interested in trying it but can't find any other references to this 4C setup
Thanks

If you just want to increase the run time and output of your mag, I wouldn't waste a lot of money on it, but would get either the Rayovac 3-4 D cell LED bulb, or the equivalent Dorsey bulb. They are rated at 40 lumens currently at walmart for $4.00

That bulb doesn't make much of a difference in a three cell light, but it is a significant improvement with 6volts.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
you have to bore out mag to take 26xxx cell.

Not necessarily. Some cells are smaller in diameter than others. And some lights are larger in inside diameter than others. So sometimes, 26xxx cells can fit quite well in a C cell Mag without boring the light. The odds of 26xxx cells fitting in a Mag without boring increase if the light is an older Mag (no C in the serial number), as the older Mags have a larger inside diameter.