LD01 Vs Price

jamie.91

Enlightened
Is the LD01 worth £32.95 in english moneys ?

i dont know why but to me it looks (dare i say) a tad expensive :duh2: i have never realy been drawn to this light before but earlier today i was looking through a LD01SS thread
(here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/213368)
and fell in love with it but i cant justify the price when for another £10 or so i would have a range of 123A lights to choose from!

So what am i missing can someone please convince me this light is worth its price tag and explain any pros and cons

also i need a few things clearing up

i have seen people using a 10440 battery ( i think ) is this ok ? if this light can take the 3.7 volt battery wouldnt fenix mention it on thier site ?

is the SS version heavy compared to the standard one? (fenix website says 14 grams excluding battery for both but surely SS is heavier but it looks like a missprint because it says aluminium on them both too lol)

is the standard one only available in black ?

and whats a PWM effect ?

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: jamie

EDIT - sorry for being a newb

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
No its not worth £32.95 considering you can get a LD01 SS for under USD$50 shipped worldwide.

In fact, you might want to check out iTP's A3 EOS

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the LOD(the previous model) and I think it was worth every penny I paid for it. I've had it for a year and a half on my keychain and it still works great. However, if the price is bothering you, you should look at the itp AAA light that came out recently for half the price. I have used 10440's in my LOD with no issues, but I dont really recommend it due to how easy it is to kill 10440's since they are unprotected and also because of the reduced runtime.

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
and whats a PWM effect ?

Pulse Width Modulation.

Somebody correct me if im wrong, but its generally its where the LED's driver flashes the LED(s) very very fast (usually ony noticeable if the light is waved or moved around quickly) to conserve battey life.

geoffg

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, you , like myself, live in the wrong part of the world to buy anything at a reasonable price. When the dollar went up in relatoin to the pound, all imported goods seem to go up, but now its coming down?, I for one don't see the price coming down. (last year my tk11 cost £45, now it is £58)

I have the previous model, the LOD which i paid IIRC £29 which has strobe and SOS.If I were to loose this, I would hold out to find the same model,I cant understand why Fenix would drop a couple of (impress your family and freinds) features and charge extra for the "unoticeable" extra 5 lumens. Of course , to a non torch obsessed person this is still a huge amount of money for a keyring torch. Depends on how you look at it i suppose

paulr

Flashaholic
geoffg,

1. 4sevens (fenix-store.com) ships worldwide, I think, at US prices.

2. The stainless steel model costs extra, if you're referring to that.

3. They got rid of the strobe and SOS because a significant number of users (me included) felt that those features were useless annoyances that detracted from the light and made it feel like a schlocky toy. The L0D is still available for those who want the strobe.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
I think the price reflects what you get.

The LD01 is definately a nice light, and easily on a par with lights like the LD10 or L1T that cost slightly more, just with a slightly change in feature set to give you the smaller format and size (no clicky switch mainly). If you think the price of a LD10 is fair enough, then the LD01 just follows suit from that.
At the other end you do have cheaper options like the e01 for £13, compared to which the LD01 is obviously a higher end light and better specced - cree emitter rather than a 5mm nichia, so a much better tint and a huge leap in output, and I will also say that in hand, however practical and handy the knurling of the e01 is, the LD01's smooth facetted shape just seems nicer and more professional.

I own an LD01, which I bought after already owning the L1T and e01 - the LD01 gives me a torch superior to the e01 in terms of output and beam, that is brilliantly easy to pocket carry when I don't want the size of the L1T.
Some people will just make do with the lower ranked e01, or the bulk of the L1T, I love the LD01 as a perfect midpoint of power versus size as a pocket/backup light for EDC

benben_stone

Enlightened
I really don't think that you can go past the LD01 in stainless steel for a great EDC option.

While stainless steel usually adds to the weight, with this little powerhouse, you don't notice at all when used as a keychain light, yet the finish is tough enough not to show any marks even under rough use.

International sellers can provide pretty good deals on this item, so I would dispense with local buys in sterling & look for USD deals.

:twothumbs

Norm

Retired Administrator
geoffg,

1. 4sevens (fenix-store.com) ships worldwide, I think, at US prices.

2. The stainless steel model costs extra, if you're referring to that.

3. They got rid of the strobe and SOS because a significant number of users (me included) felt that those features were useless annoyances that detracted from the light and made it feel like a schlocky toy. The L0D is still available for those who want the strobe.
2. Been out of stock @ 4Sevens for some time as already mentioned still available on ebay.
3. Agree 100%

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
If the choice is between owning either an LD01 or a 123 light that costs a little more, you're probably better off with the 123 light. AAA batteries don't provide a lot of energy. Rechargable AAA's are not a particularly safe option. There are so many better choices in 123 lights. LD01 is great as a backup to a better EDC, but AAA as a primary EDC is pretty limiting.

Norm

Retired Administrator
LOD01 SS is the perfect keyring light, any 123 light is too big for keyring service.
Horses for courses. :)
Norm

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
Agreed, but why would you want your EDC light on a keyring? Emergency light definitely, EDC light - I'd find that pretty annoying.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Agreed, but why would you want your EDC light on a keyring? Emergency light definitely, EDC light - I'd find that pretty annoying.
It's not my edc just an extra light on my keyring, I usually have a two other lights, my edc and my backup edc. Sorry no backup for the backup :p
Norm

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the choice is between owning either an LD01 or a 123 light that costs a little more, you're probably better off with the 123 light. AAA batteries don't provide a lot of energy. Rechargable AAA's are not a particularly safe option. There are so many better choices in 123 lights. LD01 is great as a backup to a better EDC, but AAA as a primary EDC is pretty limiting.

Care to provide links that show rechargeable NiMH batteries are not safe? Or is this an opinion?

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
i havnt read this whole thread, but its an awsome light, i use it all the time at work to look in the back of lorries, took it camping in the peaks, 80 lumens high was really bright in the pitch black, actually walked to the pub and back to tent on the 27 lumen mode.
i paid ~ £20 for a non stainless from ebay.com free shipping

we do live in the wrong part of the world, im rebuilding my Pontiac Firebird and getting parts at a good price is a PITA
:)

jamie.91

Enlightened
Last edited:

spellitout

Newly Enlightened
The LD01SS is great. I carry mine every day. But if you are concerned about the price, I'd recommend an ITP A3 EOS or Maratac aaa for about 1/2 the price of the LD01.

I recommended the ITP to a friend a couple of weeks ago and finally got a chance to check it out the other night. It's a great light on par in quality and brightness with the LD01. The only differences being the maratac and itp are both half the price, a bit smaller, and have a lower low.

The maratac and itp are pretty much each the same light. ITP is a better light for a carrying on a keychain vs the maratac. Both are available in SS or Alum.

Maratac aaa http://countycomm.com/aaa

ITP A3 EOS http://www.batteryjunction.com/flashlight-key.html
5% off code: cpf2006

With that said, if you are not in a hurry for a light and are willing to spend around the same price as an LD01, I would wait to see the details on this light http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=198343 aaa from 4Sevens.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been EDCing the LD01 SS since the end of last year and its a decent little light with a couple of flaws.

If you want to save money then go for the ITP/Maratac AAA. I recently acquired 2 ITPs and they are great, I actually prefer them to the LD01.

BTW Just saw that you got the LD01, super price at $40!