Cree XP-E R2???

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
The Quark AA2 has a "Premium Cree XP-E R2". Searching past threads it appears that this led has been out for 8+(???) months.

Does this mean there is probably an upgrade sometimes soon that may be worth waiting for? :thinking:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark AA2 has a "Premium Cree XP-E R2". Searching past threads it appears that this led has been out for 8+(???) months.

Does this mean there is probably an upgrade sometimes soon that may be worth waiting for? :thinking:

Doesn't seem like 8+ months, but I guess it could be. Considering there was enough available at the time 4sevens released the Quark line and they all had XP-E R2's in them. XR-E R2's have been around even longer and we still haven't seen XR-E R4's (although the XR-E and XP-E use the same 1x1mm emitter die, they just package it differently, so if we see XR-E R4's we'd also see XP-E R4's). Who knows when we'll see XP-E or XR-E R4's, etc. There is always the XP-G R4, but it achieves the R4 status with a slightly larger die.

Hopefully we'll see some decent gains in efficiency with XP-E's as they are great little LED's, especially for small flashlights that have limited reflector size and battery capacity. Bring on the S bins! :)

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this mean that there probably won't be any Quark led upgrades in the next several months?

For those who pre-ordered the Quark Titanium lights, there will be an upgraded LED... the XP-G. We will receive ours first week of October... so if that answers your question... in about a week there will be an upgrade to the XP-E Cree. :party:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this mean that there probably won't be any Quark led upgrades in the next several months?

I know this will be the next question asked, so I will save you the effort of typing out the question... The only lights that will have the XP-G Cree will be the Quark Titaniums as of now. No other light makers / manufacturers have made an announcement of having lights with this Cree yet.

Btw you spelled California wrong on your location... just thought you might want to know... unless it is meant to be racial, then I guess you can leave it spelled that way... :whistle:

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
I know this will be the next question asked, so I will save you the effort of typing out the question... The only lights that will have the XP-G Cree will be the Quark Titaniums as of now. No other light makers / manufacturers have made an announcement of having lights with this Cree yet.

Btw you spelled California wrong on your location... just thought you might want to know... unless it is meant to be racial, then I guess you can leave it spelled that way... :whistle:

Thanks - you were right about the next question and California it is.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks - you were right about the next question and California it is.

Pardon my sarcasm above.

It shall be rather interesting receiving this new cree in a couple weeks. Everything is just hearsay at the moment, and Henry (4Sevens) just happened to get a hold of a batch of these XP-G's before everyone else. The XP-E Cree's that are in the Quark lights are very impressive alone, hopefully this will out-do it's predecessor. The only thing that sticks out to me so far is that it will be a bigger bulb, so it will not be as narrow and tight as the XP-E. Maybe it will produce a floodier beam rather than throw? It is supposedly brighter, but we still have yet to see...