Warmest Coat? Is fleece that good? I'm in need of advice.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Winter is coming and I spend a lot of time outside at my job. Some parts on the line are warm but outside is going to be cold.

I've got an Under Armour beanie and gloves that did very well last year, but I was using a borrow camo coat from Columbia I think that worked but was very heavy and thick. I'm not against getting one for myself but they cost quite a bit of money.

Galls sent me a new magazine and I found fleece coats were pretty numerous. I've never heard of people wearing them. Most people around here wear Carhartts. I planned on getting one, but wanted to see what others are finding.

What type of material is going to be the warmest?

I'm not really looking for specific coats, but what type of coat would be best.

I'm looking for something that allows me to move freely but retain warmth.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Winter is coming and I spend a lot of time outside at my job. Some parts on the line are warm but outside is going to be cold.

I've got an Under Armour beanie and gloves that did very well last year, but I was using a borrow camo coat from Columbia I think that worked but was very heavy and thick. I'm not against getting one for myself but they cost quite a bit of money.

Galls sent me a new magazine and I found fleece coats were pretty numerous. I've never heard of people wearing them. Most people around here wear Carhartts. I planned on getting one, but wanted to see what others are finding.

What type of material is going to be the warmest?

I'm not really looking for specific coats, but what type of coat would be best.

I'm looking for something that allows me to move freely but retain warmth.

Most fleece is basically polyester and rated by weights. It is not water or wind repelent so the best option is to get a mid-weight fleece and a waterproof outer (gore-tex if you've got the cash, durable water repellent [DWR] if you don't.) to go over it. I like the layering thing. If it gets really cold I'll put on merino long johns and a heavy wool coat, wool socks and top it off with a gore-tex outer and insulated boots. No pants of course, they're for sissies.

Edit: Hats and gloves are good, thats mostly a personal thing how thick/what material etc, just make sure no cotton, wet cotton is useless in the cold. It actually pulls heat away from the body.

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most fleece is basically polyester and rated by weights. It is not water or wind repelent so the best option is to get a mid-weight fleece and a waterproof outer (gore-tex if you've got the cash, durable water repellent [DWR] if you don't.) to go over it. I like the layering thing. If it gets really cold I'll put on merino long johns and a heavy wool coat, wool socks and top it off with a gore-tex outer and insulated boots. No pants of course, they're for sissies.

Looking at the prices, no I don't think gore-tex is even close to an option. I was looking to get something warm and movable in for under 100. Some of that stuff was 800 dollars :(

I'm going to start looking for a nice fleece coat and a good outer shell.

I was looking at this one, minus the varies colors. It isn't related to my main question, but seems pretty warm. I'm really just trying to get a good coat to keep me warm on a budget. Going to stores means nothing if I don't understand what's what.

Last edited:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Fleece is definitely a nice option. The advantage of fleece is that it's relatively inexpensive, and keeps you fairly warm. The disadvantage is that it's not very windproof. If you're going to be in a windy area, you'll want to add another layer, or a windbreaker. Some fleece jackets also have a windproof lining built-in; if not, you'll definitely want to add one.

That said, I'm also a huge fan of down jackets. They're incredibly warm, and also incredibly light. I have a wonderful 700-fill down jacket that I love (the North Face Nuptse, which is often on sale for around $120) and it keeps me toasty warm down to about -10 degrees. (Beyond that, I usually add another layer....though in my part of Alaska, it doesn't usually get much colder.) It also weighs just over a pound, and is very easy to maneuver in. The one catch is that it's not fully rainproof; it'll keep you dry for quite a while, but if you're going to be out in the rain all night, you'll need a rainjacket to ensure that the down doesn't get soaked and lose its insulating properties.

There are a number of great companies out there. (A few names to get you started include Columbia, The North Face, Carhartts, and Mountain Hardwear.) Feel free to post any individual jackets you find - we can help you evaluate them.

Good luck!

- FITP

Edit: I just saw RyanA's post; apparently as I was drafting my response, he was posting his! But his discussion of fleece is right on...and I didn't mean to duplicate it here. Consider mine a backup. :)

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Layers work well. A good heavy weight fleece along with something else.

Also - alot of heat is lost through your head (well some people more than most. I bought a fleece headgear from REI last year - goes over your head and has opening for face, can cinch it up. THen I wear a fleece ear wrap (goes all the way around your head) underneath the thing from REI.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've decided on getting THIS.

Later on I might buy it's counterpart, the waterproof cover.

It seems warm and it fits into my budget if I buy it now.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Layers work well. A good heavy weight fleece along with something else.
Can't reiterate this enough. Layering indeed works wonders.

Something I learned a couple of years ago is to use a neck gaiter. I went from having colds every winter, to not getting sick at all after I started using the neck gaiter.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
You might want to look into "Soft Shell" fleece because it is windproof and waterproof, it doesn't feel like "fuzzy" fleece but has a smoother texture and having pit zippers are great for ventilation if you overheat. If you search around, you may be able to find them for around 100 or so on sale, look at REI.com in the outerwear section for some ideas to start, there is a Marmot "Gravity" jacket that is made of this fabric and many others listed as well.

Basically, you want something windproof or at least wind resistant because that is what robs your heat. Other than that, insulated jackets that have Primaloft One are great and the secondary best synthetic insulation is Primaloft Sport, other than that, 650+fill Down is the best but susceptible to moisture absorbtion and heat loss, not good for wet environments.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Can't reiterate this enough. Layering indeed works wonders.

Something I learned a couple of years ago is to use a neck gaiter. I went from having colds every winter, to not getting sick at all after I started using the neck gaiter.

+10 for layering- consider purchasing a good synthetic base layer- it wicks away moisture. Surplus wool is a good insulator also-even when wet. Cotton kills when wet....base layer polypro or wool, sweater-wool light fleece jacket then a wind/waterproof shell should do most every condition.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It feels funny for me to be commenting about this considering my location and how I sweat my tail off most of the time today. Nevertheless, I work outdoors in the hot and cold and wet so my clothes are important to my comfort. Dunring the winter months I use different weights of polypropylene and polyester fleece covered with a thin WP shell that's used only when needed. The polypro feels better against my skin, and the fleece works great for warmth. The thin jacket is only for wind and water.

For late season hunting I typically use a more rugged outer shell of gor-tex or newer high tech material, with an additional layer.

I think the jacket that you picked looks really nice. Good choice. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
They're all high quality, but I'm more a layering guy. A heavy outer coat would be too warm for me unless it was at the 20F range on your scale.

Wattnot

Enlightened
+1 on layers
+1 on fleece with windbreaker type nylon exterior. Great combo. I have a fleece type "hoodie" that's very warm but the wind goes through it like it's not even there.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what I was thinking.

I have enough money to do this once and keep it around 100 dollars.

Being as I can only afford one, it has to be tough enough for the toughest environment in my life. This is work and around the farm.

So, Carhartt has been on my mind the whole time. I've had some in the past but none real thick.

Fleece probably wouldn't survive. Those North Face jackets kids always had in high school don't seem like they could survive. They just seem more fashionable than useful to me. Mine is going to get really dirty.

I really wanted the Carhartt 3 in 1 parka for layering. I could pull off however many layers for what was going on, but for 200 plus dollars I don't think so.

Back to square one. I'm going to go to Tractor Supply in a few days maybe to look some more. I just feel like that fleece I was looking at might not fit in well with where it's going.

I live about 2 minutes from this store and never realized they had a website. I'm really interested in this but wanted some input.

Last edited:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
check out some of teh 300 plus reviews on it within that link

iapyx

Enlightened
May I suggest to have a look at Arc'teryx jackets. Not cheap though, but if you consider what we spend for flashlights.... :) and they last long.

I've bought an Arc'teryx THETA AR jacket which is not insulated but still warm, light.

The details of these jackets are very beautiful.
It took me some time before I decided to buy one.
Be critical and take your time to figure out the difference in details, especially how the hood is integrated. Some close tightly (like the Theta), some wider.

At first it was the ALPHA jacket that I focused on. Then another and tried them on. In the end it appeared that the THETA AR fitted best.

I chose one size smaller than what I should the size chart advised. Just because it fits better. I did so since more people on the internet advised to do so.

You likely need a more insulated jacket.
There are some nice offers on the internet from well-trusted stores.

good luck

edit: oops, you have 100 USD to spend, forget about Arc'teryx then... sorry

Rexlion

Enlightened
If you really want that J175, caclothing.com has it for $116 (not sure what shipping rates are). A lot of the Carhartts really have a tough outer surface; I have seen more than one dairyman wear a hooded sweatshirt under a Carhartt coat in winter.

I was about to put in my 2 cents for down jackets until I saw where you wanted to wear it. :) Down is what I reach for in coldest weather, but it's not so practical for farm use.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Being as I can only afford one, it has to be tough enough for the toughest environment in my life. This is work and around the farm.

I live about 2 minutes from this store and never realized they had a website. I'm really interested in this but wanted some input.

I think you're right about a fleece outer not being up to the task for heavy farm work. Nothing wrong with a fleece liner and leather or nylon outer though. My type of outdoor work is far less likely to damage clothes and my hunting wear isn't really subjected to ranch work either so I'm afraid I can't be of much help anymore.

You're link isn't working at the moment so I can't see the choices. Carhartt does know farm, ranch, and construction clothes so I think you're on the right track.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the one I was looking at.

Carhartt lists it as a jacket and not a coat. This is confusing as hell. I thought jackets were thin for like fall and coats were thick for winter. Now they have me backwards. If this is a jacket and not a coat, is it really as warm as I want.

I like the layering idea, but that gets expensive. I need something that's around 100, doesn't need multiple layers, and is tough. We are renting a house on a farm from family and I help with tasks they do (it helps keep the rent down :) ). Work is just as hard on my clothes.

This is why I opted for Carhartt instead of the other things. They do seem nice, but I think I could destroy them quickly. No offense.

I'm very lost. I wish Carhartt would give a chart that tells you what keeps you warm in X degree weather. That would make this decision a lot easier. That or having one store that sells a lot of models instead of a lot of stores with few models in each.

Edit: Oh, I believe from a little more reading I've realized the coats are just longer but do not necessarily mean they aren't as warm. This is good because I didn't want one real long. Some thermals and blue jeans have always suited me well. It's just a lack of a decent coat have let all of the heat from my vital area get me cold quick.

I think I'm good now unless I'm missing something.

Last edited: