$38 dollar shipping for a $22 led?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

Axxxxnet has an emitter for me, and another one 12-14 weeks out. I recieved an email noting they will deliver usps to america but only ups to canada. For a frieght fee of $37.58. For an item the size of a stamp that weighs less then a gram, this is really interupting my inner peace.

I know there used to be a parcel forwarding service. Anyone know of something similar? My favourite American vendor charges the price of the stamp to send me an led.

Thanx,

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
nevermind, that service is just as expensive.

You are so close to the US border...do you have any friends in upper NY state (Watertown) that you could get it sent to?

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to buy an LED from a certain website once for about a dollar. Shipping was 20 dollars.

I giggled and gave up at that exact moment.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait till you got hit with a customs brokerage fee on top of the shipping charge ($20-$50). The tax itself is USD $2.86.

both ksbman & unforgiven are no longer offering the international forwarding service.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty rediculous isn't it? I wanted to order an extra faceplate for one of my amplifiers, the price was $1. Its basically a heavy duty sticker. The place is in Canada (no offense) and they wanted 27.58 C for shipping. I emailed them and said I was interested in the part and could you ship it cheaper? Nope that was the price. I told em to shove it, I didn't need it that bad. There is alot of this on Ebay, sometimes the seller will change it if you ask.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, shipping from Canada to anywhere other than Canada is more expensive than within the US (but that is excessive).

For example, when I ordered something from 4Sevens, the shipping cost (built in) was only $2.62.

When I had to send one item back for an RMA, it cost me $6 CDN to send it back.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wonder why that is? Like I say no slam on our Canadian friends. I've never been there, is the infrastructure that much different than the US in the non Artic regions? Australia same way. Thats the place where I don't want to ship anything.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, Ebay is an aweful one for that. Someone says 'buy it now $1' with a $60 shipping charge... :) cheap eh?

*solution presented, thank-you

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Australia same way. Thats the place where I don't want to ship anything.

Not sure about Canada, but I suspect increased shipping costs to Australia might be due to the Pacific Ocean and the tyranny of distance.

The overall lower volume of mail to Australia (less people and all) probably doesn't help either.

AusPost is relatively good though, although like everyone else it has its fair share of screwups. FWIW, once I had a package shipped EMI (to Australia, USPS says normally 3-5 days) take double that time just to get from the US to Australia. Then a couple of days to go through customs and get shipped up from Melbourne to Sydney.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wonder why that is? Like I say no slam on our Canadian friends. I've never been there, is the infrastructure that much different than the US in the non Artic regions? Australia same way. Thats the place where I don't want to ship anything.

Not sure about Canada, but I suspect increased shipping costs to Australia might be due to the Pacific Ocean and the tyranny of distance.

The overall lower volume of mail to Australia (less people and all) probably doesn't help either.

AusPost is relatively good though, although like everyone else it has its fair share of screwups. FWIW, once I had a package shipped EMI (to Australia, USPS says normally 3-5 days) take double that time just to get from the US to Australia. Then a couple of days to go through customs and get shipped up from Melbourne to Sydney.
The problem are the SCAMMERS out there.
They order stuff from a different country via USPS, when they get notification it is waiting for them at customs, they wait for a while, then complain to Paypal/CC companyAmazon they did not receive the goods. The seller us not able to provide proof the goods are delivered, Paypal/CC company/Amazon withdraws the money from the sellers account. After the scammers got their money back, they go down to customs and pick up their parcel. So the seller is out both money and goods, UPS/FEDEX etc. prepays customs and delivers to the door. SIGNATURE PLEASE. Proof of delivery.

The other problem is the customs declaration. You can fill up the form online with UPS then UPS sends a truck around to pick up the parcel. With USPS you need the right account with them before you can do that. Most small vendors do not have said account, nor do they have the time to go down to the post office and wait in line. So they take the easy way out - UPS.
Bigger companies like DX have the right type of account (with HK post). Note how the address, customs, postage are all printed on the same piece of paper. And if your order is over $10 you have to sign for it.

That is also why a lot of CPF members will only ship CONUS. But that subject has its own thread.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I hate living in the Midwest, I do have to admit I'm rather blessed when it comes to getting my favorite LEDs and supplies with absurdly generous shipping.

Newark sends me Bridgelux emitters with no shipping charges in 2-3days, LEDSupply is 2-3 days for $5.00 flat, and U.S.A Heatsin is a 20minute drive.

I still want to move to a warmer climate.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thing is, LEDsupply was 3 days for $5 as well. They can send it to Canada no trouble it seems. Others...not so much (thus my original post)

Latest posts