How to use Cutter XPG's without reflow hardware?

sparkysko

Enlightened
Never done any modding before, but I'm looking at the XPGs that cutter is going to be selling in a week.

I want to add one to my Akoray K106. Taking apart my pill, it appears the LED is on a board that is 10x9mm which is mounted onto a 12.7 mm circle/star. The maximum size I can use is probably about 14 mm.

Looking at what's available at Cutter, they sell the LED's on a 'light engine' which I guess is an MCPCB. They only have a picture of a 10mm circle one, but they also have a 10mm 'square' one, which I imagine is what the Akoray is also using.

Looking at Cree's soldering sheets, it appears likely that this 'light engine' was reflow soldered onto this 12.7 mm 'star' on the edges, and in the center (The thermal path).

Do I have any chance of being able to slap one of these XPG's into my Akoray, or do I have to wait till some commercial outlet comes out with a suitable sized star for me?

Here is a picture of the Akoray setup, here you can see the two "MCPCBS' sitting on top of each other, with the LED sitting on top of the whole mess.

Also, I assume the dome size is the same throughout?

k106.jpg

Edit: Ah crap, thought I put this in the 'modified section'. Mods can you move this?

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you are referring to as the LED on a board is just the LED itself - the silver square is actually part of the LED.

From the pictures I have seen, the white bases that the LEDs are mounted (usually 14mm) on have always been circular.

The black ones are square with rounded off corners - square circle?
I think the one in your light may actually be a 15mm base.

sparkysko

Enlightened
Are the dome sizes the same with XP-E (&XPG) and XR-E?

Since the Akoray uses a self centering delrin piece to center the LED, as long as it fits over the LED snugly and as long as all the light goes forward, I can't see how there'd be much concern over the focus?

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the domes are different sizes.

Focus isn't just about centring the LED in the reflector, it's also about getting it the right depth into the reflector. Since the Akoray is still working, move the reflector up and down and you'll see what I mean.

sparkysko

Enlightened
No, I didn't order the XPG. You could make it fit most likely. You'd also likely want to use a thermal adhesive to keep the LED centered.

I had concerns with shorting it out against the reflector, and whether or not it would get high enough up the reflector to be of much use. No point in putting in a more powerful LED if it ends up shooting the light underneath the reflector, and not out the lens.