Using XP-E/XP-G in XR-E housing?

sparkysko

Enlightened
Seems to be some disagreement on whether or not you can put an XP-G/XP-E into an XR-E light. Google didn't help.

Anyone care to share what they think?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also wondering about whether or not XP-G LED's would be able to be used in XP-E optics. I realize they are the same external dimensions, but was wondering if, because of the larger die size, the XP-E optics would not be able to focus the light in the same way.

sparkysko

Enlightened
Dunno why I didn't notice this before. XP-E is 3.4 mm wide at the board and the XR-E is bigger at 6.8 mm wide at the reflector/dome. Would be difficult to accurately center, and you'd see the PCB.

sparkysko

Enlightened
Finally found an example of an XP-E being put into an XR-E flashlight (D10 modified for UV)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2927794

Who knows how many lumens are lost under the reflector. Maybe it's just the pictures, but it looks like alot of light is going 90 degrees out from the emitter which has me concerned.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
More room for glow epoxy. :hitit:
What he said.:twothumbs

Regarding the amount of light lost, run through the XP-E datasheet to get a rough idea. From what I've heard the XP-G has a slightly wider emission pattern, so you might be able to get an estimate of the light lost.