Does it exist? PD20-like light with red and white LEDs?

haplo

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I've been a long time reader of this forum, but I couldn't find what I was looking for today, so I decided to join and post a question.

I recently lost my Fenix P1D. I've had numerous Fenix lights over the years, and love the compact size and max brightness (180 lumens). I use the nylon belt holder for EDC, and until recently it always held the light well... However, when I reached for it recently, it wasn't there. :thumbsdow

What I've always wanted was an LED based light, that provided a red LED source, as well as a bright white LED source. The Surefire A2L looks nice (a bit longer than what I really want), but its max brightness isn't nearly as bright as the P1D was (at least in ratings). I tried a Pila G3 with a red LED tailcap, and was unimpressed in the UI. I'd much rather have a clicky tailcap, and both LEDs have a single bezel. Its also too large for EDC.

So, does such a beast exist? I like the P1D (P20D) size. I like the predefined brightness settings, and how it starts out relatively low (9 or 12 lumens), and is half-clicky to increase brightness. I also like the bezel turn to make it "turbo" right from the start, so you have a tactically bright light when it is first turned on if you want. I like all these things (and I like the CR123 batteries), but I wish I could find something with a red LED too, so I can preserve my night vision when needed.

I'd also prefer a belt holster that doesn't use velcro secure light.

Any suggestions?

And, if such a beast doesn't exist, would you buy the P20D knowing my requirements, or is there something better out there these days? I looked at the Quark 123 Tactical, and that looks decent too, but the belt holster is unappealing.

Thanks,
H.

stienke

Enlightened
I think the best option is a Fenix or Quark with a red filter, easy to carry and the best from both worlds.
Buy a holster custommade from Thors custom leather, he make it you want, spare battery holder with a room for the red filter.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, haplo. The Proton Pro has the red option. However, the white starts out on high, then you can ramp down. The red starts low and you ramp up. It's not going to have the punch of the Fenix, but it still gives plenty of light. Runs on 1 AA.

Geoff

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a light from Coleman. It's a 1 123A battery powered Coleman Cree XR-E light with red l.e.d.s as well. 115 lumens on high and has 5 3mm red l.e.d.s.. It costs $70 retail, but it's available for only $30.09 from Coleman's family site (www.coleman.com/family). The password is FAMILY. Sorry, I tried to provide the link directly to the page with the light, but when I tested it, it didn't work.

Last edited: