Best 2 2xAA flashlight combo for under $150

Moto EMT

Newly Enlightened
Im looking to pickup 2 lights that run on AA's for under 150 for use on my emt practicum.

I've had a fenix l2d q5 before but lost it in a ditch somewhere. I found the light to work rather well up until it was lost in a snowbank trying to help someone get out.

At the moment in considering the TK20 and the new ld20 as my 2 lights, using the tk as my belt light and having the ld20 tucked away in my pocket.

I've noticed that the calgary police service just put a bid out for 2000 of the tk20 lights for issue.

I'd like some input from you the guru's on suggestions.

I had an old p60 incan ages ago but hated the fact that it ate 123's like a cookie monster.

Thankyou for your assistance in this matter

^_^

Toaster

Enlightened
I would go for the following combo:

Quark 2xAA Neutral White Tactical
Zebralight H501W

The Quark 2xAA is a thrower like the TK20 and would be your general purpose light. You can program one of the selectable levels low enough (3.5 lumens) to check pupils. The other I would leave at max ouput.

The Zebralight H501W can be used as a headlamp, clipped to a front pocket, or hung from your neck. It provides short range, hands free flood lighting.

Both of the lights I linked use neutral white LEDs which illuminate skin tones much better than standard cool white LEDs. Combined the two would cover all of your lighting needs.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a helpful review of most 2xAA lights by Selfbuilt, sans the Quark 2AA which is in his other thread under the collective Quark review.

Personally, I prefer Nitecore D20 for a floody and tough light. Or Fenix LD20 and EagleTac P20A2 (or P100A2) for something with better throw. TK20 is generally preferred for its warm beam and toughness too.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a 2AA body for my Quark AA tactical. The added length feels good in the hand. The Quark is a good light but Fenix and Nitecore are good as well. For Canadian distributers check out 4sevens.ca. 4sevens is a well respected member here, is the maker of the Quark series and offers great customer service. The Canadian distributer is great to avoid customs i.e a little faster delivery. A light would from 4sevens in Georgia always takes 2 weeks to get to me whereas I can now get a light in three days. Granted it costs a little more but I'd rather get the light sooner and support a fellow Canuck in the process.

JBorneu

Enlightened
Definitely get a Fenix TK20. You'll love it. I think an LD20 would be nice too, but maybe you'd want something with a lower low to check pupils for your secondary light.

Moto EMT

Newly Enlightened
I have a pair of Pelican 1830 L4's for patient use. Liked them better then the 4dollar throw aways, and the streamlight stylus.

Picked them up for 8 bucks each, along with 9v AAAAs couldnt resist.

Moto EMT

Newly Enlightened
Well for now I've decided I'm just gonna grab the TK-20 for now and use my streamlight stylus pro as a backup.

I'll have to look for another light later something for EDC might even take the jump and get a 123 based light and bite into some rcr123's or 16450's

anyone have any recomendations?

Anyone know if the Surefire 6p led will run on rcr123's or a 16450?

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
Interesting note about the Calgary police. It's nice to see our LE agencies finally stepping up to the plate and issuing LEOs half-decent lighting products. Every police officer around here still uses a 3D incan.

I hope the TK20 works out for you. :)

AusKipper

Enlightened
Well for now I've decided I'm just gonna grab the TK-20 for now and use my streamlight stylus pro as a backup.

When I saw the title of the thread I was about to come on here and recommend the TK20 and LD20, or a TK20 and Streamlight Stylus Pro, looks like I completely wasted my time!!

Definitly dont let anyone talk you out of getting the TK20 though, its a great torch.

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
:O you calling the TK20 1/2 decent!! :twak: (jkidding :p )
Hehe, well compared to what your average officer carries, it's EXCEPTIONAL. :D To be honest, the relatively low lumen count has always left me uninterested in the TK20, but as of late, I've fallen in love with warm tints, and as such, I might be forced to add one to my collection someday. :thumbsup:

Moto EMT

Newly Enlightened
And I wont even be an officer.

I'll be a properly equipped med tec for the dark. XD

AusKipper

Enlightened
Hehe, well compared to what your average officer carries, it's EXCEPTIONAL. :D To be honest, the relatively low lumen count has always left me uninterested in the TK20, but as of late, I've fallen in love with warm tints, and as such, I might be forced to add one to my collection someday. :thumbsup:

Well, to be honest, my TK20 of 150lm count seems almost as bright (and certainly throws further) than my TK10 of 225 lumen count.

Dont worry about those numbers, just get one ;)

AusKipper

Enlightened
And I wont even be an officer.

I'll be a properly equipped med tec for the dark. XD

Police/Medic/Fire, they are all equally (and very) important in my book ;) (so its not a case of "not even an officer") (that said if I had to do without one it would be fire, because I can put out fires myself lol, but I definitely cant de-fib myself...)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
good call on the TK20, i got myself the Romisen RC N3 warm white but am thinking of getting myself a TK20 too. To add on, i think the Zebralight H501W would be a good thing for an EMT to have, especially if its dark and you need both hands.

I've been getting into warmer tints too, outside, the warmer tints just seem to 'punch' through undergrowth and vegetation if you know what i'm getting at, colour rendition is better with warmer tints too. There was another thread about how a fellow CPF-ers wife got bitten by a spider and the extent of inflammation was only apparent when seen under incand (or was it a warmer tinted LED) than under white.

went and searched, it was an incand, the thread is here

let us know how you feel about the TK20 on the job.

Rexlion

Enlightened
For a 16340 EDC, I'd advocate the Nitecore EX10. Adjust the infinitely variable level to your liking, turn it off, and when you turn it back on it's there. Plus shortcuts to high and low. Turn on/off either by piston drive (no click noise, smooth) or by twisting the head. Great knurling for a secure hold in the worst weather. Sure you could get a D20, but if you already are going to have the TK20 (great choice BTW) a small pocket-size light will be comfortable and convenient.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a 16340 EDC, I'd advocate the Nitecore EX10. Adjust the infinitely variable level to your liking, turn it off, and when you turn it back on it's there. Plus shortcuts to high and low. Turn on/off either by piston drive (no click noise, smooth) or by twisting the head. Great knurling for a secure hold in the worst weather. Sure you could get a D20, but if you already are going to have the TK20 (great choice BTW) a small pocket-size light will be comfortable and convenient.

+1 on that, my EX10 is nicely clipped to my right front office trousers pocket every day, unobtrusive and reliable. The G2 with LF EO-9 drop in is in my bag along with the Romisen RC N3 warmwhite in 1xRCR123 mode and spare cells for all.

Let's not forget the LD01 on the keychain

Moto EMT

Newly Enlightened
sorry that should have been 18650, somany different li-on cell sizes it's confusing @_@