Photon Freedom lumens?

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know the lumens of the Photon Freedom on full brightness? Searched but could not come across it anywhere. I think this would be the max. I would want for a low indoor light at home.

Thanks...

Connor

sparkysko

Enlightened
Re: Photon Freedom lumuns?

2 - 3 lumens (There might be newer revisions that are brighter)

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_manu.htm

At least it's twice as bright as the Maglite Solitaire :p

I had a photon freedom, it was nice. I kept wanting to swap out the batteries to make sure I had max runtime tho. Make sure you buy a blister pack of cells on Dx or something.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Photon Freedom lumuns?

2 - 3 lumens (There might be newer revisions that are brighter)

Unless they slipped in another update, they are now using nichia dx leds. To my eyeball the new ones are about 5-10 lumens on max. Not bad for 10 bucks, you can carry it everywhere and even non-flashaholics will keep em on their keychains. Highly reccommended.

Why didn't you look at the website, it even says "new version"? Why propagate misinformation? ....zzzz

edit: the white ones, right?

Last edited:

connortn

Newly Enlightened
sparkysko: Thanks for the link. It looks like the Photon ll is around 3-4 lumens from the Flashlightreviews site. The Photon Freedom Max shows around 6-7 lumens. This may be different now as I seem to remember that LRI uses the same LED in all the versions now. I could be wrong about this, so don't fully rely on it.

Grox: I had gone to the website but could not find the lumen rating listed anywhere there. That's why I posted here. Maybe I just missed it somehow.

Thanks...

Connor

Marduke

Flashaholic
They both use the Nichia GS now, and are NOT 2-3 lumens (that was the OLD model).

On fresh cells, they are both in the neighborhood of of 10+ lumens.

However, my favorite personal keychain light happens to be the Freedom, in part because it has the ability to ramp up from VERY dim, far less than 0.1 lumen. It is an exceptional value at only $8.99.

Either model can also be ran on 1xCR2032 for a slightly dimmer, but longer running light.

fareast

Enlightened
You do have to realize that the max brightness of about 10 lumens is only for the first 5 minutes or so. It drops off fairly rapidly. There is a runtime comparison floating around here comparing the runtimes on 2x2016 and a single 2032. I have tried this also with my photons white and coloured and the results are in daily use not worth it. Hence I use mine with the original battery recommendation. Once I put in fresh cells and just let it run down until I saw no more light coming from the LED. It takes weeks to kill the batteries dead. For a full week though I'd say the light being emitted was useful. After that, it was just fun waiting to see the led still being lit. In emergencies it is good to know though, you can use some Freedom's with a 2032 cell. I.e. my white Freedom Camo's will not light up using 1x2032. Others have tried with more success though! And if you want true indestructibility, the photon II are just that. If you want the cool factor: the camo's and Real Tree's are very cool (well, at least I think so :grin2:).

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Marduke. I have been contemplating the Lumapower Connexion (X2) and was hoping that the low was about the same as the Photon Freedom. If anyone has both, maybe they could compare the two for me.

I would be better for my use if the sequence for the connexion was low/med/high, but LEO's, I'm sure, find the opposite true for them.

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
I was going to guess around 10 lumens or slightly higher, it is impressively bright with fresh batteries. I know it drops dramatically early on if running on max, from the runtime chart I've seen. Though I'm guessing that if you have it running at a more reasonable level of 4-6 lumens, it will be able to maintain close to that output for quite awhile, especially if you're just using the light for fairly short periods of time as most people probably do with this kind of light. And it has a great interface and can go extremely low. I've tried a CR2032 in one of mine, didn't work, haven't tried it in the other - it's apparently hit and miss with the CR2032 working. I passed on the light initially about 3 years ago when I saw it for about $16, thinking it was a bit much for a button cell light. Then I found it for under $10 and think it's an awesome light. The cheap knockoff 'fauxton' lights from DX are also a great bargain and work fine if you don't care about output adjustment or a waterproof case. I've been using a DX 'fauxton' with the Nichia GS & a single CR2032 on a keychain for over a year and even that puts out a decent amount of light with an insane runtime for a button cell.