EagleTac P20C2

waterbed

Newly Enlightened
I am searching for a new EDC, preferably LED. Right now I am seriously considering an EagleTacP20C2. I like the size of the light (I have been used to surefire e series size), the settings on it and am just trying to make sure I am making the right decision. I would prefer the ui of a rotating ring like fenix ta20 but that light just seems to bulky for pocket EDC. Any other suggestions to consider? Small pocket size (preferably less than 1" bezel and 5" length), good hotspot/throw, easy momentary switch, led are all important. Preferably <$120, pocket clip bezel down, hi/med/low settings, hi lumens.

As far as the P20C2, can you turn on the light in both turbo and general modes depending on the bezel position, or do you have to turn it on in one and move to the other? Also can someone describe the strobe, I can not find much information on it (Hz, random vs regular, pattern etc). I read: "activate strobe by double pressing the switch", would this be momentary press or full click? Also is the momentary switch easy and quick to activate repeatedly. I ask because I use manual strobing technique (similar to Strategos technique) for searching with. If it does activate the strobe setting I guess it wouldn't be that bad since it would just add to the strobing effect overall. Being able to easily strobe manually at high lumens with a good throw/hotspot is pretty important.

Thank you for the input.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I Would concider the p20 a poor choice for manually strobing. The first momentary push will activate the light, the second will activate the strobe. A third push will go back to the "on". The strobe is activated by either a partial or full push. Trying to push it quickly to get a manual strobe produces a very slow strobe, around 2 or 3 pulses per second. There seams to be a slight activation delay causing this. Also, there is a fairly long travel for the switch to activate, aprox. 2 mm. This also makes it difficult to rapidly activate the light. Also, the "on" click is very close to the momentary activation point also and easy to click the light on while doing a momentary push, especially if you are rapidly pushing.

As far as your other questions. The light will come on in whatever possition you have the head set to. Strobe comes on in "high" even if it is on the medium setting. The strobe itself is on the slow side. Definately much slower than a Fenix pd30 and p3d.

Last edited:

Konad

Newly Enlightened
The P20C2 is a good size for a pocket thrower. Easy to access output levels. I would agree about the strobe. It seems to come on easy when you dont want it and not quickly when you do. The Jetbeam RRT-2 has a great rotating bezel but might be too bulky for the pocket.

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
The P20C2 is a good size for a pocket thrower. Easy to access output levels. I would agree about the strobe. It seems to come on easy when you dont want it and not quickly when you do. The Jetbeam RRT-2 has a great rotating bezel but might be too bulky for the pocket.

Hopefully some company, Fenix or Eagletac, would realize the demand for an affordable compact-sized, selector ring flashlight and offer it to the public! I, personally, would want a single-cell version...with a clip.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked Eagletac a while back if they were going to make a single celled version of the "100 series" lights, and they said that they were developing something different for a single celled application, presumably with more features and a different UI. However, I haven't seen or heard anything else about it.

waterbed

Newly Enlightened
This is the information only found out by handling the real thing or here on this forum, thanks so much. If it is that hard to strobe with, I guess I'll have to pass on it, love the rest of the light though. Very helpful pointers. What about other manual strobe workable lights. The Jetbeam RRT-2 is a little bulky, no pocket clip, rather bright on low, but besides that looks great. I'll have to think about this one.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
If you are ok not having a "strobe" on a light and are only going to do a manual strobe, the T10 and P10 EagleTacs would work great. They are a simple two mode, twist the head type lights. Very bright and very well built.

FlashlightsNgear.com

&rarr;Formerly d1live&larr;, Flashaholic
The P20C2 is one of the best pocket sized throwers Ive ever seen. The strobe is easily accessed by pushing the button twice within 3 seconds and instantly comes on, to change it back to the previous mode you do the same. It is extremely bright for its size and small enough you barely know its in your pocket. Another big + is the 5 lumen low, super long run times and the perfect amount of light if hiking or hunting and a twist of the head your instantly back to the highest level. Using the momentary is smooth, quickly on and off activates the strobe, even using it on the Mid/General level it goes from low or general to high strobe and back to the general level if the head is loosened. Its a very simple and easy to learn process that I am liking more and more every time I use it.