A light for every day carry

weasel09

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I'm looking to spend around $50-60 on a light that I can slip in my pocket or my backpack and have with me most of the time. I really want at least two modes but more would be good and I want the top mode to be bright (somewhere around 180 to 200+ lms would be good). I also like a long runtime for the dimmer mode and I don't want it to be much larger than 12cm so as far as I can tell that narrows it down to either 2 cr123 or 1 aa as far a batteries go.

A Fenix P3D Premium looks great but it is discontinued, the PD30 is just a little too expensive, the TK10 just a little too long, and the runtime on the PD20 just a little too short. I've found P3D on ebay for US$45 +S&H and might get that
The Olight T20 tactical also seems to be what I'm looking for but I'd prefer better battery life.
The best value torch looks to be the X2T tactical but I was wondering what people thought about it
Of these torches which do you guys think is the best and feel free to tell about any good lights I missed or where I can get deals

Thanks

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
try the x2t tactical, shining beam is a good store.

if there are any problems with the light you will be well taken care of.

but it looks like it does exactly what you want.

and its cheap :party:

edit: the olight has some serious advantages over the x2t (rechargeable batteries and 5 levels of light are much more useful)

if you can spare the extra $$ id get the olight. a charger and 2 x rcr123 batteries.

if you dont lose it, it might last forever.

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
I've found P3D on ebay for US$45 +S&H and might get that

The P3D is a perfectly acceptable torch.

It seems like your looking in all the right areas at the moment, so i'm sure you wont be too disappointed with anything you get.

I'm still EDC'ing the Fenix TK10 (even though I have a TK11R2, my TK10 is already all scratched/beat up, and still does the job) and I admit it is a little cumbersome, and the P3D would probably be easier to carry.

If your looking for something very carry-able, the Streamlight Stylus Pro is possibly a good option (though nowhere near as bright as the ones your looking at). That would enable you to carry that "everywhere", and still have a larger torch (ie the TK10/11 whatever) to take when you know your going to need it. (and then you also get redundancy, so if your primary dies when your using it, you have your Streamlight as backup)

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Quark 2x123 Tactical. Done Deal. Spend the extra few bucks (use coupon CPF8 at checkout on the 4Sevens website). You WILL NOT regret it.
Honestly though, you will not be disappointed with any major manufacturer (EagleTac, Olight, Nitecore etc...).

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Fenix PD20 this weekend for about $50. The PD30 is just a hair too long, and for a 2x CR123 format I'd rather have something that could do 18650s.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
Lmini 2 from shiningbeam. wait for them to come back to stock. its worth it!

(use search to see threads of it.. here is one https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/232143)

its my favorite "big" edc light. simple 3 mode. small size. awesome runtime. cheap. (under 50)

(for similar strokes: lumapower encore but i dont have any xperience with lumapower.)

quark 2*cr123 version would be my second pick to offer to you. (it has a clip which lmini2 havent got. and it can be mounted in either end of the light..for bezel up or down carry) the Tactical gives you a chance to pick 2 modes you use. the regular version is similar UI as in fenix has. *quark AA tac is my small EDC now*

jetbeam pro3 st is smart option too (look it at bugoutgear that offers cpf discout too.. just like 4sevens does with quarks and shiningbeam does with lmini2) -i was about to buy this light for long time.. just wanted warm tints and the cheaper lmini2 won me over.

jetbeam pro 1 (the aa light) i have the older version of it. and i like the chance to program the 3 modes it to my liking.

in general i vote for AA light. runtime: just carry spare battery. size makes it very good choice, as its so much easier to carry everywhere. and the batteries are rather easy to find in every small store if you own run empty. (but 200lm from one is not really possible.)

the x2t i didnt like.. i still have it, but its on my "doghouse". well not exactly there..but its just not used at all anymore. its going back to glovebox emergency light if i dont end up selling it. i like to use rechargable batteries and it doesnt work with them well. (ok it should work with 17670 just like quark 2*cr123 should.. but i dont have those yet,)

x2t is not a bad beginner light tho. its cheap. and its built well and works fine. and the output is ok. but i found it turning "on" in my pocket way too often by itself. the twisty is bit loose in my sample and it works the "wrong" way in my mind. (loose is off, tight is on)

and i do think warmer tint leds work better in my use. (they represent the colors like greens and browns more naturally in my eyes.)

my advice: if you need it quickly. get quark. if you need it in month. wait for lmini2. (and also buy some cheaper AA or AAA light to back it up) couple of my favorites of the "cheapos" aka under 25$: akoray k106 1AA, romisen g2 1aa, or romisen n3 (2aa/1-cr123) (romisens are available at shinignbeam too..

for AAA look at itp eos.

hmm im rambling again.. *shuts himself up*

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the P3D in case you really want to stay below 50$. It's a proven light with great output. You may get it with an SMO (more throw) or an OP (more flood) reflector, not sure about this.

I had a PD30, great light, but I sold it last week because I have a Quark 123-2 (neutral white) and a Quark 123-2 Titanium coming. The "normal" Quark, by which I mean the cool white version, surely is better than the P3D, would cost you slightly over 60$ with the CPF discount, it has more accessoires than teh P3D, a removable clip e.g. The reflector is OP and the beam is just great, well balanced between throw and flood, very bright spill, more universal than the P3D... :cool:

chef4850

Enlightened
look at the nitecore extreme r2. single 123a bat. Small easy to EDC and super bright on high and also has the infinate brightness. The second is the jetbeam e3p. also a single AA bat. easy high and low and bright. a little heavier as it is made out of stainless steel. both are great lights!. I use them both.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer my pocket EDC to be either 1xAA or 1xCR123/RCR123 (not counting my 1xAAA LD01 which is always on my keychain) cos of its size. Thing is, runtimes will never be as good as 18650 lights or 2 cell configurations.

Budget 2xAA but with decent quality:
Romisen RC N3 II Q5 from shiningbeam, 2 modes with a forward clicky (meaning you can half press to activate and fully press to turn it on constantly), change modes by either half pressing (if not fully on) or click off and on within a second (if fully on).

This light can also run in 1xCR123/RCR123 by removing the extension tube, but you then have only 1 mode, but its BRIGHT! check the marketplace, dealers corner for discount codes, if memory serves me right, it's "CPFuser"

Good 2xAA but $12 above your budget
Jetbeam Jet I Pro EX v2 from bugoutgear, 3 modes, each individually programmable. Quality is excellent and it just looks great too. I own a number of Jetbeams (though not this particular one) and am duly impressed with their quality.

all the other choices are good too, but i dont personally have experience with them.

Budget 1xAA
Romisen RC G2 II from shiningbeam, Akoray K106 from KD

Better 1xAA
Jetbeam Jet I Pro v3.0, Liteflux, Quark, Fenix, Nitecore D10

I'd just say that get the best light your budget can afford, its worth the investment, get a good quality light that will serve you well, then play around, get a few budget lights as loaners or beaters that wont hurt that badly if you lose 'em.

deany

Newly Enlightened
I bougt a cree tourch before, every nice qaulity, there are some feature : lamp:cree 7090xR-E, lamp life ;80,000 hours, red rating 3.0watt, controlled mode; FIVE mode. output leverl;225 lumens (2 hrs) 70lumens (8hrs) .power soure:1 -cell 18650(lithium) input voltage:3.7v-4.2V. dimensions;5.98inx91in .weight: 2.1 oz , if you like this one ,want to more informations , you can contact me .

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
about dereelight c2h.. i must say my light is nice quality, powerful, i could pick the tint and the ramp up or down version, and without the strobes/sos etc blinkers that i hate.. but it does heats up so fast and becomes akward to hold.. but luckily the runtime is rather weak too so you wont be holding the hot light long anyways.