Enough BioDiesel to stop importing oil...

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the moment we have about 200 million gallons of surplus soy oil per year and about 3 BILLION gallons of waste fryer oil per year that could be used for BioDiesel. It isn't enough to displace all of our imported oil by a long shot, so... people ask "After you've used all of that for BioDiesel...what then?".

Here is a great site discussing how BioDiesel could replace ALL of our imported oil someday.

Widescale Biodiesel Production from Algae

Plus...here is a nice comparison of BioDiesel vs. Hydrogen

BioDiesel vs. Hydrogen

Notice that it would cost 169 billion dollars to produce enough biodiesel for all of our fuel needs...but it would take 2500 billion dollars to create enough clean electricity from wind to generate enough hydrogen for our fuel needs.

Brock

Flashaholic
Hey are you going to the MWREF up here in WI. Check out the GTG section on Freds. I think I might pop over sat afternoon, and it would be great to have more bio TDI's there. Someone from Freds is doing a session on biodiesel.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock said: Hey are you going to the MWREF up here in WI?

No. I'll be at a family reunion in Colorado instead. I will be doing a presentation on biodiesel at the Iowa Renewable Energy Fair in September though (Cedar Rapids).