Can a strand of hair inside a reflector damage the LED? (Streamlight Polytac)

Niconical

Enlightened
I just got a Streamlight Polytac, 2 of them actually.

One of them has what appeared at first to be a small hair inside the reflector, just behind the glass. On closer inspection it seems it is more like a very thin strand of "something", possibly the polymer that the head is made of, or more likely (although this sounds crazy) a little sliver of the reflector itself, almost as if someone had shaved of a tiny thin strip of the reflector before closing the head.

So, it appears to be stuck, partly to the inside of the glass and partly to the top of the reflector. There could actually be 2 separate strands, either that or it's just folded back on itself, hard to tell.

My question is this. If it comes loose and drops onto the LED, what will happen, and more to the point will it be bad?

On the subject of the Polytac in general, nice light, great beam, but I'm not impressed with the quality. My expectations might be biased in that my only other USA brand is Surefire, but even measured against that, I still expected more from a USA made flashlight company, especially one that caters for law enforcement, fire, etc.

On the second one the (not sure what it's called) "contact metal" at the top of the body, where it will contact inside the tailcap, was so rough that it dug a mini trench on the metal ring that it touches inside the tailcap. It's not a problem, connection is fine and I cleared out all the little bits of metal, but grinding sounds are not something I expected from my first Streamlight. Both windows have some general smudges and marks on the inside, that kind of thing. The beam on both is fine though, very good in fact.

On the bright side I feel like I have a ready-made beater, which is actually nice in a way.

Anyway, back to this mystery strand, damage to the LED if it comes loose...?

Thank you :)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How big is the strand? Hair thin?

If yes, then your question is like asking: "What will happen if I drop a feather on an egg?" LEDs can take a bit of direct abuse before they break (depends on company). If they were so fragile that a strand of something can break it, then we probably won't be using them in flashlights that are meant to take drops and such.

nbp

Flashaholic
No, but it might drive you nuts if you keep staring at it....:hairpull:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If it's a Cree worry not but if it's a metal shaving and a Seoul LED then there is a tiny chance that over time it'll mark up the gummy dome and give you more flood. I wouldn't worry any!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id be more worried about the reflector than the LED.

Reflectors can fog up, get greasy, and dirty, etc, and look terrible at the slightest bit of dirt

Crenshaw

Niconical

Enlightened
Seems it's not too much of a problem.

To clarify though, I didn't mean what would be the impact of the hair falling on the LED, but I assumed the strand would melt and/or burn when it touched the LED, but maybe they're not that hot.