??JetBeam M1X / Olight M30 Triton / Fenix TK40??

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am a rookie Police officer and also a rookie when it comes to flashlights..I know just enough to know that my issued Streamlight SL 20/ Stinger is not the combo I want. I have replaced the Stinger with a Fenix TK11, which I love!

I am trying to decide between the above three lights as an additional light....most likely will replace the Streamlight SL 20.

I am leaning towards the Fenix TK40 because I love my Fenix TK11 and think it would look good to have matching lights. (even though the TK40 is ugly in my opinion)

Any advice (pros & Cons) on the lights would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
From your list, I only have the TK40. If you like the standard shape style light, the TK40 is a good choice. With a man sized hand, the TK40 body is just the right size making it easy to carry. I find some lights that have a thin & long body actually harder to hold than the Mag/TK40 style body if that makes sense... The TK40 actually fits in my old D cell Mag ring holster.

If you like the output of your TK11, than hold on tight when you switch on the TK40 on turbo - 630 lumens!! - and I can tell you, the beam looks to have every single one of those 630 lumens firing on all cylinders!

You can run it on 8 AA's - eneloops if your sane, or run it on only 4 AA's if you want a lighter unit and you don't want to use Turbo all the time.

Great light - tough as hell also.

Good luck with your choice,

James....

chumanji9

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the flashlight world as well. And in my search, I have read 3 to 5 of these thread in the past month. And it seem to end with the LEO buying the M30. Not that I know much about it, but just want to let you know what my search came up.

Softcoder

Newly Enlightened
I am searching for my second light. Also reaserched about these lights. TK 40 is too big and it uses AA cells that is not ok for me. M1X is also big but main think it is more thrower so I am choosing Olight M30 because it use 18650 (it is ok for me), it is quite small and give a wall of light.

Waiting for my delivery. Hope I choose right think) :welcome:

msloshooter

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the job brother. I am a Deputy Sheriff in California. I also use a TK11 as my belt light and love it. Several of my partners have started using the TK11 as well, they were very impressed with the output vs. the Surefire 6p.

As far as a fullsize light, I favor the Jetbeam M1X over the TK40 and the M30... here's why. The TK40 has great output but the User Interface can be a little complicated. I prefere lights with simple UI like the TK11, set it to the level you want and get that everytime you turn it on. There are also problems with running the light for long periods of time on Turbo with alkaline batteries. The batteries can leak because of the high current draw. If you end up on a long foot pursuit or area search you may have your light on for a long time.

The M30 would be my second choice, great output good runtime simple UI. But, I think it is too small for a primary light. I like them a little bigger so it is easier to tuck under your arm when writing a cite or handling ID's.

The M1X fits these bills really well, simple UI great output long enough to fit under your arm and it will be lighter than the SL20. I also like the extender and the ability to run two 18650s for normal use to keep the cost down but, if you run down the batteries you can load four CR123s and keep going through the shift.

The final piece of the puzzle, the M1X with extender fits really well in the sap pocket of uniform pants. Makes it easy to carry around and doesn't take up any extra space on your belt (being new you probably have less space than others who have gained a lot of weight over the years).

This is the current setup I have and alot of my coworkers marvel at the output of the M1X. I am pretty sure you will be happy with any of these lights, They will put the Streamlights to shame and they are reasonable cost.

My two cents... Have fun and keep your head down.

Matt

gilly

Enlightened
M1X - first choice - Solid, simple, powerful. Best thrower but good spill. Run it with extension tube and 2 x 18650s.

M-30 - second choice - Solid, User Interface more complicated, side switch a bit awkward. Also, run it with extension tube and 2 x 18650s.

TK-40 - third choice (not a "match" for your TK-11 - they use different batteries!!) solid, massive output, loses because of battery type in my book.

Stay safe

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Thread in my sig may be of assistance to you.

I personally think the TK40 is most suitably designed for SAR's type work.
It has extraordinary run times on the lower levels, mid levels put on enough light for 90% of your needs yet still maintain good run times...then Turbo mode when nothing else will do. AND it uses very easy to find AA's! (and can run off of 4 in a pinch)

As far as anything tactical....I think it's horrible for the one fact that it's GUI is not setup to be quickly accessible as far as low and turbo modes go. You have to cycle thru the modes in order to reach Turbo. I would strongly youtubing the GUI and seeing if that would make a difference to you.

I wish they had stuck with the Fenix type GUI, bezel loose-low:bezel tight-turbo. imo the two most often used modes AND immediately accessible.

If you want better help from CPF'rs I'd suggest you say what your specific needs are....is this an EDC, something you'll be keeping the patrol vehicle....etc

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the job brother. I am a Deputy Sheriff in California. I also use a TK11 as my belt light and love it. Several of my partners have started using the TK11 as well, they were very impressed with the output vs. the Surefire 6p.

As far as a fullsize light, I favor the Jetbeam M1X over the TK40 and the M30... here's why. The TK40 has great output but the User Interface can be a little complicated. I prefere lights with simple UI like the TK11, set it to the level you want and get that everytime you turn it on. There are also problems with running the light for long periods of time on Turbo with alkaline batteries. The batteries can leak because of the high current draw. If you end up on a long foot pursuit or area search you may have your light on for a long time.

The M30 would be my second choice, great output good runtime simple UI. But, I think it is too small for a primary light. I like them a little bigger so it is easier to tuck under your arm when writing a cite or handling ID's.

The M1X fits these bills really well, simple UI great output long enough to fit under your arm and it will be lighter than the SL20. I also like the extender and the ability to run two 18650s for normal use to keep the cost down but, if you run down the batteries you can load four CR123s and keep going through the shift.

The final piece of the puzzle, the M1X with extender fits really well in the sap pocket of uniform pants. Makes it easy to carry around and doesn't take up any extra space on your belt (being new you probably have less space than others who have gained a lot of weight over the years).

This is the current setup I have and alot of my coworkers marvel at the output of the M1X. I am pretty sure you will be happy with any of these lights, They will put the Streamlights to shame and they are reasonable cost.

My two cents... Have fun and keep your head down.

Matt

What county do you work in? I'm in CA as well. So Cal

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading Selfbuilt's review of the M1X, I may have to get one to replace my Surefire M6, which is such a battery hog I rarely use it.

I patrol San Diego, but am from Santa Barbara originally (UCSB grad).

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the help!

It seems the M1X is the leader here.......I guess I will be looking at that one much more closely.

Fenix TK40: So do I understand correctly that the TK40 cant be clicked once (from the off position) and go into the last mode it was in before i turned it off? I have to cycle through some modeset to the Turbo mode?

I dont know much about JetBeam's............(all I've owned is Fenix,Streamlight and Pelican (7060)

Are they tough like Fenix??? I saw someone on here froze, boiled and ran his TK 40 over and it still worked...

jahxman

Enlightened
Fenix TK40: So do I understand correctly that the TK40 cant be clicked once (from the off position) and go into the last mode it was in before i turned it off? I have to cycle through some modeset to the Turbo mode?

No, this is incorrect - the TK40 will come on in the last constant mode it was turned off in. A double click gets you the blinky mode corresponding to that level, and a click and hold will move it to the next constant level. So if you turn it off in Turbo, next time it will come on in Turbo. Turn it off in strobe (the blinky mode associated with Turbo) and it will come back on in Turbo. Same for the other levels. So if you have a favorite level, and don't ever do a click and hold on the button, it will always come on at that level. If you change the level and turn it off, it comes on next at the level you turn it off at.

I can't really comment on the usefulness for a LEO (as I am not one), but I know many LEOs do use the TK40 and are quite happy with it; by the same token many use the M30, and the M1X, and are also happy with them.

The M30 is supposedly coming out with a slightly different model that loses the crenulations that some have complained about complicating the use of a holster with it. It is the smallest of the three, and has a very simple UI.

The M1X has the best throw of the bunch, and also the biggest head, making its shape possibly a bit more awkward for some. It has the simplest UI, with head tight being max, and head loosened being whatever you program it to be.

The TK40 is similar in size to a 2D Mag, just a little shorter, and has probably the best mid-range beam, and also the most modes. It is the only one that uses AA batteries; NiMH rechargeables are a must if you go with this light.

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
No, this is incorrect - the TK40 will come on in the last constant mode it was turned off in. A double click gets you the blinky mode corresponding to that level, and a click and hold will move it to the next constant level. So if you turn it off in Turbo, next time it will come on in Turbo. Turn it off in strobe (the blinky mode associated with Turbo) and it will come back on in Turbo. Same for the other levels. So if you have a favorite level, and don't ever do a click and hold on the button, it will always come on at that level. If you change the level and turn it off, it comes on next at the level you turn it off at.

I can't really comment on the usefulness for a LEO (as I am not one), but I know many LEOs do use the TK40 and are quite happy with it; by the same token many use the M30, and the M1X, and are also happy with them.

The M30 is supposedly coming out with a slightly different model that loses the crenulations that some have complained about complicating the use of a holster with it. It is the smallest of the three, and has a very simple UI.

The M1X has the best throw of the bunch, and also the biggest head, making its shape possibly a bit more awkward for some. It has the simplest UI, with head tight being max, and head loosened being whatever you program it to be.

The TK40 is similar in size to a 2D Mag, just a little shorter, and has probably the best mid-range beam, and also the most modes. It is the only one that uses AA batteries; NiMH rechargeables are a must if you go with this light.

Thank you very much for clearing that up! I have a very good understanding of the UI of the TK40 now!! Very well explained.

JeffInChi

Enlightened
The M1X has a pretty big head compared to the M30 (which is why is out-throws it), and if you do put it on your duty belt, your going to have to find a REALLY durable holster for it, because its going to get caught up on things like wire fences, rub up against brick homes and concrete, and catch on the seatbelt of the squad car. If you do find a holster, be prepared for it to jab you in the side all shift with its larger head size. If you do have a secure pocket, in your vest or pants that is large enough to keep and hold the light, then maybe go with the Jetbeam. For me, it's just too big to actually carry on my person all shift.

The M1X overall length is 198mm
The M30 overall length is 176.9mm (with battery tube ext 210.9mm)

No matter what light you go with, I highly recommend you look at the below review on you tube of all three lights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlQ7vzXqz4A

Good luck, stay safe

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.......Thats EXACTLY what I dont like about the light......That head is massive.

I'm not planning on keeping it on my belt but still is a shape im ot used to in a light.

I dont know why but I have a thing for Fenix lights.......I cant explain it but I feel some loyalty ever since I bought my first "non issued" light from them...(TK11 r2)

gilly

Enlightened
Just measured the head on my Jetbeam M1X and then the head on my Magcharger (which I carried working at night for a decade).

The Mag is 2 1/4 inches

The Jetbeam is 2 3/8 inches

For all of you who continue to complain about how HUGE the head is - it really isn't THAT big. (to me anyway)

I carry a backup light on my belt (Streamlight TLR-1) and the M1X is carried in hand, resting securely in the center console or seatback organizer when not in use. I agree that carrying the M1X on one's belt would not be very comfortable - but that isn't what it's really designed for anyway. Additionally, the M1X with extension tube is a very nice length to tuck under your arm while checking licenses, registrations, etc. It fits perfectly in the old flashlight rings on the duty belt (that were always used for mag lights).

If you don't like the M1X I'm sure you'd be plenty happy with the M-30!

Both are solid, great lights.

I recently taught firearms up at our Training Academy to a new recruit class. I had given them all many recommendations on light choices and was pleased to see many of them had purchased Eagletacs, Fenix, Olight M-30s, Jetbeam M1X, Inova, Pelican, etc.

Great options out there today vs. what we had a decade ago!

Stay safe!

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
What about Dereelight DBS V3 w/ 3SM Cree MC-E-M (OP) with extension tube? :drool:

Great light - but here's what it's weaknesses are for LEOs:

1SM pill - single mode: very bright, but limited runtime if a LEO is out at a serious accident, etc. requiring the light be on for numerous hours.

3SM pill - low-med-high: would work, but not ideal for a LEO who may need high immediately (life could depend on it). When the S--t hits the fan and the adrenaline is pumping, you don't want to have to mess with half-pressing through your low and med to get to high!

I owned a DBS MC-E and still own a DBS with an R-2 in it - wonderful light - just not what I'd carry on duty given the other options (M-30 and M1X)