I'm a snob.

curtispdx

Enlightened
I'm on another cold burglary call today and while walking through his house he mentions that he sells safety equipment.

"What kind?" I ask.

"Oh, reflective vests, air filter masks, cones, flashlights..."

(This is where you insert the sound of a record coming to a screeching halt on the turntable. You DO remember records, right?)

I play it kind of cool and ask "What kind?"

"Dorcy," he said.

(Now insert the "Sad Trombone" sound...)

Later, he wants to show me some of his products, that he's amazed at the amount of the tactical lights available.

I humor him because I feel bad because #1, his house got burglarized and #2, he's selling DORCY lights...

I'm a snob, right?

Anyway, he asked to see what I carry so I show him my light. He was impressed and asked who made it.

"Oh, some fella out of Alabama. He makes great stuff," I say, then show him the MD4 body with the MCE drop-in.

He said he's trying to sell lights to people that don't want to pay Surefire prices.

Fair enough. (I think he wanted to sell me one at a discount. Now, had he been selling McGizmos this would have been a MUCH different post... :whistle:)

On another note, Surefire related to boot, a co-worker was sitting next to me in roll call and picked up my M4/Milky.

He was pretty impressed and asked me where I got it. Then he told me that when he was in Iraq somebody from the 10th Mountain Division was giving away Surefires to the troops. He just got in line and snagged one.

Free Surefires? Yay!

You have to be in Iraq to get it? Not so much.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Hello fellow snob!
wink2.gif
I feel ya'.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story... can't say I would react any different :nana:

Except for maybe whipping out a few Surefires :D

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who's the vendor in Alabama that you bought stuff from? :thinking:

(if you don't mind revealing your source, that is? :D )

EDIT:

That's funny by the way, because I just used a similar line yesterday about a Fenix light... "Yeah, some guy in Georgia sells these on the internet..." heh heh!!

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Curtispdx --

BTW, i really loved yer' Sound Effects !

:twothumbs
_

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guilty. I try not to rain on their parade when people talk about their ____ light(s).

I was once like them. Now I'm having to make SHELVES to put my lights on!:eek:

The thing is... if they like the less expensive lights, at least they appreciate the concept and function of them. They just need to appreciate better quality as well.

But I'm still a snob...:devil:

sylathnie

Enlightened
I was doing a site walkthrough to review a building for potential future installation a few days ago when the HVAC guy showed up to do the same. He was carrying a yellowing mag 4D and shining it in dark corners. My nose instantly upturned. It was hard not to whip out the LF2XT and make a quip about size not mattering....

I ofter find my self checking out officers belts when I'm out to see how well they are equipped. It's hard not to say something sometimes.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, he asked to see what I carry so I show him my light. He was impressed and asked who made it.

"Oh, some fella out of Alabama. He makes great stuff," I say, then show him the MD4 body with the MCE drop-in.

Please tell me he turned it on. :laughing:

I swear, I'm sorry the man's house was broken into, but c'mon. That's potential comedic gold there.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to start hiding my lights because 99% of people asked me why I had a flashlight then were amazed that there flashlight companies besides Maglite.

Good story though, I would have had to buy one to be nice.

We have a Reserve and certified full timer who cary Dorcy religiously.

No matter how many times we show them the SureFire lights they try to argue their Dorcy.

I don't see how you use a light tactically that you have to fully click just to turn it on. Oh well, SWAT school might change a lot of minds :)

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a Reserve and certified full timer who cary Dorcy religiously.

I carry a Dorcy LED flashlight religiously too... what's worse (as far as fellow CPF'ers would be concerned) is it's a 3AAA format, it's my GP & loaner light and goes everywhere I do (whilst at work) what's best is the 1w Luxeon's warm tint, I can't help but feel guilty using my SF/JB lights as I want to keep them pristine which is silly I suppose because I purchased them for work :ohgeez:

Nice story OP, you've got more restraint than I when it comes to espouting the virtues of quality lighting products to the masses :crackup:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see how you use a light tactically that you have to fully click just to turn it on.

+1...black and "cool looking" doesn't = tactical. "Tactical" is what works fast, works right, works very quietly (or very loudly), works in the enviroment (toned down), and just plain works all the time, everytime. :thumbsup:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Haha I had a similar situation just this past weekend! We had a dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings for my fiancee's birthday friday. One of my buddys was there that knew I was into lights (he is actually borrowing my M20 Warrior R2 right now) Well he calls me over because one of our friends is there with her BF and he was showing my buddy his flashlight. It was a 3XAAA with 3 emitters one of which was either red or pink. Well after he got done showing off and shining it on the wall and under the table Dylan says "Hey Morgan show him your lights!" I just so happened to be carrying my LX2, Clicky 140, and the M20 that I was taking for him to borrow. Needless to say after 10 minutes of them blinding everyone at the table and comparing on the ceeling and walls he was very impressed and wasnt completly shocked when I told him how much they cost. I didnt get to throw the CPF addy into the conversation but he was going to check out Surefire and Ra Lights. :party: Dylan Texted me later that night (while he was on Surefires website) and wanted to know which light he should buy!

So what did the man say about your MC-E'd MD4?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didnt get to throw the CPF addy into the conversation but he was going to check out Surefire and Ra Lights. :party: Dylan Texted me later that night (while he was on Surefires website) and wanted to know which light he should buy!

So what did the man say about your MC-E'd MD4?

Hook line and sinker...good job GSXRAC!!! :thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ha! You can be a snob, and still enjoy Dorcy.

I have the Uber rare black Dorcy AAA model, with no fish-eye optic.

It's so rare, some veteran CPFers have never even seen a pic of it.

(One day, I'll hunt down the Holy Grail of rare Surefire lights. . . Satin Gunmetal C2. A light so rare, even Al says he never heard of it! I've seen one pic of it in a firearms magazine. So I know there's at least one out there).

curtispdx

Enlightened
So what did the man say about your MC-E'd MD4?[/QUOTE]

He was pretty impressed. He thought it was really well made and had some questions about the batteries. It's too bad that I wasn't able to show it to him when it was dark out...

curtispdx

Enlightened
+1...black and "cool looking" doesn't = tactical. "Tactical" is what works fast, works right, works very quietly (or very loudly), works in the enviroment (toned down), and just plain works all the time, everytime. :thumbsup:

That's the ONLY thing I'm not crazy about in the MD2/MD4, the audible click the switch makes.

curtispdx

Enlightened
Please tell me he turned it on. :laughing:

I swear, I'm sorry the man's house was broken into, but c'mon. That's potential comedic gold there.

:crackup:

It was three o'clock in the afternoon. I could have asked him to join me in his closet but that would have seemed weird...