Surefire E1e KL1 vs. MN01?

pahl

Enlightened
I would like to know what's the point in running the KL1 on a Surefire E1e.

The MN01 give 15 lums for 90 min.
The KL1 give 16/17 lums also for 90 min. and 8.5 hours of moderate output

Can someone tell me how bright the KL1 is well on moderate output?

Is it about half as bright as full power or less?

On full output is the KL1 really any brighter then the MN01?

Thanks,

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL1 won't eventually die and need replacement like a MN01. Also it's more impact-resistant. The beam characteristics are probably different, too, though I can't speak from first-hand experience as I don't have a KL1, though I do have a E1 head and a McLux, which uses the NX-05 optics, which (I think) the KL1 also uses.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MN01 will dim throughout the 90min the KL1 will not and as tylerdurden said it should not ever need to be replaced.

Brock

Flashaholic
As to what it does at the end it drops off considerable, like 80%. I would say it compares to an Arc or Photon, maybe a bit dimmer.

The cool part is the regulation during the first 90 min, full brightness the entire time. The beam is about 4 times the size of the original E1 beam though.

Skyline

Enlightened
Personally speaking, I really love the KL1. I wasn't too happy with the MN01, and my E1 gathered a lot of dust. However, the E1/KL1 is probably the light I use the most now. Constant brightness for 90 minutes, nice flood light pattern that is extremely useful. I've also dropped it a whole bunch of times and absolutely nothing happened to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

freewheelin'

Enlightened
I'm just the opposite of Skyline I like the throw of my E1E w/MN01, I like the fact that it will allow me to easily identify an object from 100 feet. I only use my KL1 to kill off 123's that are left over from the incans. The KL1 seens to me to have about 1/3 the throw with 2 or 3 times the flood, hence the equivalent lumen output.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
freewheelin' said:
I'm just the opposite of Skyline I like the throw of my E1E w/MN02,

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you talking E2e with an MN02 or E1e with an MN01? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Al

Enlightened
Blue / white beam color of KL1 is much different than the MN01 ...

alberto

Enlightened
I had a KL1 on an E2e and then bought a E1e. I didn't like the MN01 beam on the E1e and switched the KL1 to the E1e.

Now I love my E1e/KL1. It's hard to explain but the 15 lumen incandescent looked weak and insufficient, but the 16 lumen LS LED looks strong and bright.

I'm also happier with my E2e now with the MN03 back on at 60 lumens, when I need something stronger than the E1e/KL1.

BGF

Newly Enlightened
I agree, I have the KL1 on the E1E and it produces a wider (flood )beam . It is a very nice white light. The E2 W/ MNo3 I use if I need a longer throw( spot).
Since the led requires less juice, and is regulated any way, you get more bang for the buck in this configuration.

What about it? Is that OK for a relative rookie Flashaholic?
It sounds good, so I'm stickin' with it!

pahl

Enlightened
Are all the new KL1's putting out nice white light now?
I thought some people were saying they had a blue tint?

I would try one if I new it would put out a nice white light.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blue and white tints are still a hit/miss deal with the KL1... More often than not, you're going to get a bluer/violet tint...