Streamlight TL-3 LED upgrade

jeremysdad

Newly Enlightened
New to the whole flashlight scene. Recently acquired a streamlight NightFighter 2 (C4 version), loved it! So, I scored (so I thought) a TL-3 LED version cheap, new, from ebay.

Needless to say, while it is a great light, it is not as bright as I was expecting. Email from SL says that they are not going to make a C4 version of the TL-3, still waiting for the why not, but my question is thus:

Anybody know what LED emitter I would need to put in the TL-3 to make it comparable, if not brighter that, the C4 NF-2? I expected this light to at least be as bright as, and was disappointed. How difficult is it to change the LEDs? I have 15 yrs+ of hands-on experience, so I am not (too) scared to break out the soldering iron...

Thanks in advance! I have a lot to learn!:huh:

jeremysdad

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so I have done some rummaging, and thanks to the info I have found here, I believe this or this is the LED that I need in order to do what I want to do.

That said, aside from the microscopic soldering, is there anything else I really need to know? Is it really that straightforward, or am I not thinking this through far enough?

Is there somewhere that I can purchase that LED assembled as a drop in replacement? I have yet to see any CREEs or anything of the like that are assembled in the configuration I would need, and the reflector seems integral to the bezel.

Thanks for any help!

Anto

Enlightened
It's a 5 watt Luxeon V emitter that comes with it, so I'm guessing either a MC-E or P7.

The Seoul P4 would work, but you have to lower the voltage going to LED

TadpolePilot

Newly Enlightened
I also have a Streamlight TL-3 and want to Update please let me know.
I now have a Fenix PD-20 that does a great job.