Help me make something of the roadkill i found....

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Some find pennies i find a sony walkman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . a van ran over it i think so it won't work but the laser, moters and buttons are all intact . i hear the lasers are pretty cool so how do i fire it up? i see it is ajustable brightness.

thanks in advance

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
There's PROBABLY an infrared laser in that walkman.
If the best thing it plays is audio CDs or audio CDRs, it's probably an IR laser emitting at 780nm with a few milliwatts (probably 3-4mW) of output power at most.

I don't know what you can do with it, other than play CDs with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
Jeez Trevor, I had something totally different in mind when you said "road kill". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh... I thought you were going to ask us for some recipes for your "roadkill"...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
Save the batteries, discard the rest. It isn't worth your time, believe me.

You won't even be able to play CDs with it, as those lasers need very precise alignment. I've saved things like that in the past, and I just end up storing them for a few years before I realize I will never have a use for them. (Until the week after I finally throw it out.)

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
It should be also noted that CD machines are fitted with interlocks to prevent laser radiation hitting the eye. All CD players, recorders and decks are classed as "Class 1 LASER" devices and have arning stickers on or inside the deck. As the IR is invisible it cannot be seen, However, concentrated into an extremely narrow beam, a few milliwatts is enough to cause eye damage.\
Like the others on this thread I suggest you bin it, in an environmentally responsible way of course.)