Fenix L2T or Eagletac P100A2

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Longtime lurker and reader, first time poster. First off, you all have a great wealth of info here and it has been murder on my wallet.

Anyway, I'm looking to get my father a new LED light for backpacking. I recently got him a Surefire E2 Executive, which he uses a lot but it eats up batteries pretty quickly, so I want to get him an LED. I've narrowed it down to the above two (though I'm open to suggestions) because of the simplicity of the UI and the ease of the AA batteries.

The Fenix has better low runtime and the Fenix lights I have are great. But the Eagletac is a bit cheaper and has newer LED technology and higher output. I considered a Quark 2AA. I've got a 123^2 Tactical Warm and really like it but I doubt he'd like the different modes or want to deal with setting the modes.

So, long rambling story short, which of the two would you buy? Or if you have both, which do you prefer? Thanks!

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
If you want the best technology, go with the Quark and just set the modes for him. He doesn't even need to know that the modes can be changed. It's going to run a lot longer than the Fenix, and be brighter on Max. I also think the low outputs on the Quark would be more useful than the 50 lumen low of the Eagletac. A lot of outdoor stuff whether navigating a trial or doing some camp task aren't going to need as much light as you'd think.

Hope that helps!

Toaster

Enlightened
I would go for the P100A2. Sometimes keeping it simple is the best choice. I would suggest you pick up the newly available P100A2 Neutral White since this is for outdoors use.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want the best technology, go with the Quark and just set the modes for him. He doesn't even need to know that the modes can be changed. [...]

Hope that helps!
+1

Get him the tactical version. Set it to low when loosen and high when tightened or something like that, he'd love it.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
I'm leaning more toward the Quark actually. He used my Fenix L2D and seemed to like it but I doubt he'd need all the strobe/beacon modes. So maybe it will be the tactical model. I'll let you know what I decide. Thanks for the input.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

New here and this is my first post. I bought an E01 a couple months ago to replace a Mag Solitaire (what a disappointment that thing was) and keep on my keychain.

I also got an E20 as a utility light and was blown away by how bright it is for a 2x AA light, so I gave the E01 to my wife and made the E20 my EDC light. I got the E20 because I wanted something simple, click it on, click it off. No extra modes to cycle through and get confused... etc.

I'm an avid cyclist and ride at least 50 mi. every week and have always kept a small light w/me for things like fixing flats, etc. So, despite how pleased I've been with the E20, I wanted something smaller to keep in my messenger bag for riding and general use.

I received my L1T v2 today, and I'm even happier with it than the E20. I love the simplicity of it and also the clicky switch; I HATE twisting the head for power on/off. I like the small size too. I also got it because I'm trying to standardize everything on AA's.

I could have bought a more powerful 1x AA light and with more settings (was strongly considering the NiteCore piston drive 1x AA model) but again I opted for simplicity, and I'm glad I did. The L1T (v2.0) is a great little light and have given it a permanent home in my messenger bag.

Now my only issues are that I find I want to carry both the E20 and the L1T in my bag at all times, and I want something with more power as a big-job light and for camping, etc. So I've been thinking about a TK... :whistle:

asfaltpiloot

Newly Enlightened
I have the Eagletac it's a nice light but the low isn't really low. :eek:
You don't need that much light for reading a map.
I would go with the L2T. It's simple and strong.

Take care.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
Well, despite my intentions to get a AA light, I ordered him an Olight T20 Tactical this morning when I got an email from 4Sevens with 35% off. The momentary on and different levels seems like the best combo.

Now I guess I'll have to buy a bunch of 123s. Mainly to power the Olight I ordered for myself as well. :whistle:

Thanks for the input.