Welding Spatter in Lens

jimhoff

Newly Enlightened
I was doing a tricky weld and needed to see better with the hemet on. Without a thought, I whipped out the SF E2D and loved how easy it was to weld. When I was done, my glass lens on there has a nice spattering of melted stuff -- and so does my watch face, but thats another forum. Ideas?

NE450No2

Enlightened
You will probably have to replace both.

Depending on the type of watch crystal, you might be able to have a it buffed out. The flashlight lens is most likeluy too thin to buff.

Not the same thing but similar I have had "stuff" from Flash Bang Grenades, mess up sunglass and safety glass lenses.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the splatter in it, or on it?
Scrape it off, and see.
If it's penetrated the surface of the lens, there's nothing much you can do aside from replacing it. It's not the end of the world, but you'll see it in the beam.
I've got a dive watch covered with little craters. The splatter would scrape off the stainless body without leaving a mark, but the lens was another story.
Next time get the light out of there as soon as you strike an arc:sick2:

Fred S

Newly Enlightened
Spatter on any decent lens is like diamonds...they are forever. I have been a welder for 25 yrs and ruined one watch when i was 16. Haven't worn a wrist watch since, except when diving. As far as I know, you can't get that stuff off without damaging the lens even more. You could try some kind of overlay like the scratch protectors for PDA's, best bet is use a cheapo watch (and light) for welding.