SL Night Com LED

Mdinana

Enlightened
Just saw these in the store today. Looks like Streamlight updated their Night Com to their C4 LED (looks Cree-ish).

I'm guessing this is their reply to the A2L. I only saw red available - 2 high powered red LED's (2.5 lumens, 28 hours), a low-power red led (no run time listed, but meets Mil 1472-D for night vision preservation) and the main C4 led 105 lumens for 3.5 hours.

Haven't played with it outside yet. It does have one nice feature that kept me away from the A2 line - namely, the secondary LEDs are NOT on when the primary is.

That, and $35 is hard to beat!

ypsifly

Enlightened
Have they updated the lens? I have a TT3C and I really like it, but the lens got scratched up pretty fast.

I've always wanted a TT1L but the lens issue bothers me.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I was intrigued by the original xenon version as a good outdoor/camping light but the general consensus was that it was somewhat underwhelming in incandescent mode ... might rethink that with a decent LED as the principal light.

I wonder if it is regualated at all? I do like the switching configuration as the cycle switch of the TT2L was one reason I gave mine away...

Mdinana

Enlightened
I couldn't tell you if it's regulated or not. Nor the durability of the lens. It's only been in my hands... 10 hours, give or take.

But... their "night preservation" red LED is uber-dull. Like, in my car tonight in the driveway, couldn't light up the passenger floor from the driver's side. A few inches is about the max projection.

Their 2 red LED's (the 'high') is a bit brighter than a Gerber Infinity red LED. Great for in the car without blinding one's self. Great in a darkened restroom (nothing kinky, just my GF goes to bed before me). Projects a few yards outside.

Their main "C4" LED is pretty nice! Easily lit up houses, cars, and trees 50 yards away, making out details. It would hit 100+ yards, but not enough to make out great details, just to see "oh, that's a car not a shrub."

Anyway, I've actually tried a couple SL led or incan + LEDs. Wasn't impressed enough to keep them. This one I might. Like I said, at this price, why not have one?

Mdinana

Enlightened
yeah, I dunno what that means either. Maybe the actual light is still rather bright, so you lose a little?

Like I said, the red-colored LED is really, REALLy low output, where you nearly need to hold the light to something to illuminate it (I read it's <0.05 lumens). You can look right at it without any eye strain. The other 2 red LEDs do cause some eye strain - perhaps causing some pupil constriction, and thus ruining night vision?

Yup. $35. Beat that, A2L!

Gatsby

Enlightened
I wonder what the input voltage is on this one ... it would be nice to have a rechargeable option to use with it.

It seems like a nice package of features for general use and camping.