New Jil J2 CR2 Titanium lights - tons of pix!

dooz

Newly Enlightened
Hi gentlemen !

I just received this morning two beautiful JIL J2 Titanium in both natural bare and heat treated finish. Since very few pix and infos came to us since its release, I thought i could share with you on this refreshing new design CR2 based light. Nothing technical here, cuz im no expert. Just impessions, in-hand feel, and pix... lots of pix! (you know we like pix :D!) So here it is...

Lights were carefully packaged in pink bubble wrap, it took exactly 7 days from Korea to Canada, not bad at all.

The light comes in a very nice black cardboard box, sealed by a thick Jil Light sticker. Note the ''special edition'' check box…. Looks like Litemania will finds its way to get more money out of our pockets ;)

Box opened!

Bare finish on left, and heat treated on right, the lights have serial numbers engraved on the tail end. The heat treated finish is actually much more softer than i had think. Think here of a chalkboard finish. It is also darker then it may appear on the pix.

Here are close-up shots of the markings I was unable to read on the sale tread. All engravings are very nicely done. See on the fourth pic, one of the tail holes is slightly bigger then the others, this is the attachment point for the supplied splitring and McGizmo clip.

The Jil J2 light sports an almost perfectly centered, direct driven Cree XR-E Q5 cool white (WC) emitter, in the 6700k color temp range, behind a 1mm sapphire crystal glass, both side anti-reflecting coated.

The lamp splits in two main parts so you can insert the included Duracell Ultra 3.0V CR2 battery. Take note that the Jil J2 cannot use 3.7V Li-Ion batteries :(, at least not for a long run;

The threads are fine, clean and smooth. The light came with very lil silicone grease. I cleaned the grease off and relubed with some Nano-oil (i just got this morning too :rolleyes:). This stuff rocks, threads are now much more smooth.

Warren stated the J2 coulnt be actvated with one hand. I found it very easy to light up with one hand by holding it upside down like this.

The light can be easily disassembled, no locktite on the ''bezel''. However the engine looks screwed and locktited (green stuff) inside the body. I think it could easily removed with small longnose plyers or appropriate tool.

The J2 comes with a very nice and high quality stainless steel CR2 battery carrying capsule with splitring and lobster claw. There are engravings on both sides of the capsule and a red oring in the cap for waterproofing. The capsule is heavy and definatly feels like quality. Nice add-on imo, as it can be used for alot more purposes;

The holsters are made of italian leather and are available in 4 nice colors: black, red, tan and ivory. There is no belt attachment (they are actually too small) only a ring you can attach to about anything. They come with matching color leather lanyard.

Some comparative size shots:

Ive tried some beamshots, and they came out to be nicier than what the beam really looks like. It has a small neutral hotpost surrounded by a slighly more natural primary spill in a smooth transition, then extend in a somewhat darker neutral secondary spill, with a final shade surrounding the end of the beam, probably caused by the oring being in the way.... does that make sense? I know the description doesnt match the shots here, but as I said i couldnt get any representative shots of the actual beam ;( but the beam is actually not that bad for such a small reflector;

and finally a family picture, with all it comes with, spare battery capsule, leather holster and lanyard, primary Duracell Ultra cr2, splitring, Mcgizmo clip, and a spare oring suitable for either glass or tail end (theyre the same)

sooo nice... isnt it?

and oh, the hand shot!

Now, some JIL ART:

© Zeruel, 2009
virginiaclasssubmarinej.jpg

© da.gee, 2009
jil_bomber.png

So thats it for now, I may add some comments as I play more with these babies. If anyone come up with runtime graphs and would like to add it to this tread, you are more then welcome, as alot of people are waiting for it right now!

Hope you enjoyed!
JF

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dooz ,

WOW !:faint: Nice pics ! Thanks for sharing.

Now, runtime test !

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Nice! I got mine yesterday. I'm somewhat disappointed but then again the price is great for what it is & what's included. That's ok, I did not purchase this light to be used as is, mine is fully disassembled already. The green thread lock can easily be removed, a small amount of heat softens it up. There was a dab of thread lock on the dome of my emitter not it came off very easily.

How do you like the heat treated version? I'm thinking about getting one too.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great looking light, but regulation is a big issue with many of us. I do hope that JilLite continues to bring us new lights though.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! I think I can work with it even without the regulation. Can't wait until i get mine!

Karl

dooz

Newly Enlightened
yeah no regulation is not that bad for a keychain light. Direct drive lights are usually much smaller, more reliable and less expensive. I do agree however that this is not the type of light id bring for camping :D, but great for edcing when you dont plan on using a light;

all in all, this is one nice toy; :faint:

dooz

Newly Enlightened
Nice! I got mine yesterday. I'm somewhat disappointed but then again the price is great for what it is & what's included. That's ok, I did not purchase this light to be used as is, mine is fully disassembled already. The green thread lock can easily be removed, a small amount of heat softens it up. There was a dab of thread lock on the dome of my emitter not it came off very easily.

How do you like the heat treated version? I'm thinking about getting one too.

its very very nice. Its a lil harder to twist than the bare version, but still smooth enough. Warren stated the heat treated finish was extremely hard and wouldnt scratch, but it actually looks so soft, i think it might mark very easily (stuff on finish or finish off, it actually looks the same :duh2:)

which emitter is going down there darkzero?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
DZ - please do tell, what are you planning to do with this bad boy?

Btw, does it tailstand with the splitring/clip on the end?

Thanks for the review, dooz! It was a doozie!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Very nice! I think I can work with it even without the regulation. Can't wait until i get mine!

Karl

I should have known you'd be on the list for one Karl. JilLite has always had a "cool factor" haven't they..:cool:

Patriot

Flashaholic
So dooz, which style to you prefer, the bare ti or the heat treated? Also, with regards to the heat treated finish, when you stated that it was "soft" is that to say that you are skeptical about its durability?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
dooz , do you have any idea if the tail-crown can be removed?? Looks screwed on from here. I'm thinking of getting one of these and coating it in AlTin or Diamond. :devil:

dooz

Newly Enlightened
So dooz, which style to you prefer, the bare ti or the heat treated? Also, with regards to the heat treated finish, when you stated that it was "soft" is that to say that you are skeptical about its durability?

I cant say which one yet. I might prefer the bare one.

Im not skeptical about its durability. When I first saw it in the sale tread, it appeared to have a coarse and rough finish, probably because of the microscopic zoom picture Warren posted, it is in fact really smooth.

dooz

Newly Enlightened
dooz , do you have any idea if the tail-crown can be removed?? Looks screwed on from here. I'm thinking of getting one of these and coating it in AlTin or Diamond. :devil:

Yep it is screwed, I can see the threads from the small holes in the tail ring, but i cant get it to move. Either its tapered or glued there but i dont see any residue.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah no regulation is not that bad for a keychain light. Direct drive lights are usually much smaller, more reliable and less expensive. I do agree however that this is not the type of light id bring for camping :D, but great for edcing when you dont plan on using a light;

all in all, this is one nice toy; :faint:
The Aeon is smaller than the Jil CR2 and it is fully regulated. But I do agree with you, it is a damn nice toy! I'd buy one or two in a heartbeat if it wasn't direct-driven.