MD2 vs 6PD as host for M60 (RCMP usage)

dano101

Enlightened
What would you recommend for law enforcement usage as a host for the M60... the M2D or 6PD. Ive always purchased 6PD's for law enforcement, but as the MD2 was designed for the M60, and i was looking to make the switch to try a few. Any comments or suggestions on each? Im looking primarily for the aspect of robustness, warranty/guarantee, and modularity (different drop-ins, battery configs, etc).

Sorry if this is answered somewhere already in the forums... ive seen some threads on MD2 etc as LE light, or the M60 for law enforcement, but not a direct comparison of the 6PD and MD2 as a host for M60 law enforcement usage...

Thanks a bunch,

Dano

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MD2 I only like for AW 2600mAh 18650 cells because if you use 2 primaries or CR123 li-ons they will rattle. The MD2 can only house Malkoff M60 variants and if you have DX, KD, or Dereelight drop-ins they will not fit the MD2.

The 6P I like only if bored to accept 18650 cells, but if you only have CR123 li-ons then its perfect because they will not rattle. The 6PD will also allow you to use all the Malkoff drop-ins and DX, KD, ebay, and Dereelight variants too.

They are both waterproof, robust, and both have great warranty. The only plus on the MD2 is that if you have that 2 mode ring then you can easily have a 2 level M60:thumbsup:

bigC

post tenebras

Enlightened
You should also consider the Elzetta ZFL-M60 for CR123 primaries. You can get a one or two-stage tailcap now for two levels of output--i.e. the same flexibility as the MD2 host, but a tougher package.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MD2 is going to be very robust and not an issue. It has the ability to take all of the M60 and M30 modules from Malkoff Devices. You can run the M30 with a nice 18650 battery. 2X16340 size batteries do have a little room to move but its not the end of the world in regards to robustness. A slip in of a cut plastic sheet from a 2 liter soda bottle will make an easy enough battery "tube" to end the rattle. The ability to take the 2 mode ring is great.

However you may prefer to have the MD3 that is coming out and run any M60 module with 2X18500 batteries. No rattle, lots of run time capacity, same great robustness, same ability to take the 2 mode ring. Change to the tail switch of your choosing if you so desire. Little more to hang on to with gloves on, its all good.

Kwanon13

Newly Enlightened
The real question is not "which one do I buy" but "which one do I buy first"! :twothumbs

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
For LEO work I would recommend a single stage light.
Simple on/off. I would also recommend a Malkoff M60 LED drop in.

Both the MD2 and 6P are great hosts. If you already have a 6P or 6PD, just get the LED drop in.

The 6P's tailcaps and bezels come off and are replaceable. After you have dropped your 6P to the pavement numerous times you end up with a dented bezel, dented or broken tailcap and/or cracked glass lens.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be fine with the MD2 if I swapped in a MiniMag tail (and maybe one of Malkoff's 2-stage switch rings) and used it as a twisty. But if my life depended on it, the stock MD2 switch would be a deal-breaker. My experiences with the Kroll switch unfortunately match those of too many others here on CPF.

dano101

Enlightened
well my reason for choosing the m60 was the 2Xcr123 ability because on some northern canadian winters, theres not a rechargeable li-ion that can withstand the cold. so im really limited by the need for a 6P format light. ive read too that there were some switch problems on the Md2 but i thought those had been sorted out?

dano101

Enlightened
i forgot to ask,,, are the md2's tailcaps integral to the light or is it a seperate piece like the 6P? in my experience if anything is going to fail its gonna be the tailcap first... i guess im looking for something as well with east servicing by myself... like i always have a few surefire tailcaps around even if they may be olive drab they will do in a pinch... but i can purchase 2 md2's for the price of a 6PD here and have double redundancy

post tenebras

Enlightened
If you go the Elzetta route, all the parts are available individually; i.e., you can replace a bezel or tailcap as needed.

I read on another board that the ElZetta will take any 6P compatible tail switch (but I don't have any SF tailcaps to confirm.)

I'm really loving the Elzetta 2-stage clicky.

shark_za

Enlightened
So the primaries will rattle less in the 6PD, the clicky is great and the overall quality is there.

I cant see a reason NOT to use the 6PD unless there is a requirement to use 18mm cells.
I have added a 1cell extender to my 6PD for additional runtime with a Lumens Factory HO LED.
I'm going to break down and get a M60 and/or M30 at some stage but this combo is working so well for me already.

Does the fact that the MD2 has no front lens play a part at all?

dano101

Enlightened
the missing front lens does seem a bit scary... but i guess thats y malkoff has the front ring available for a dollar. I know his quality is legendary... but im just concerned it may not hold up under severe usage... or it might be limited in terms of overall modularity in the future... like if the officers want to throw in an mce... will the md2 accomodate that etc... i guell ill buy one of each n try them out.

curtispdx

Enlightened
I carry a MD4 body with the MCE (warm) drop in and high/low switch as my primary light with no worries. (That particular setup gets HOT fast but I've learned that that's a good thing.) I have no worries about durability and having the low is actually pretty useful. (Try reading a drivers license up close with a 400 + lumen light!)

I'm sure that it has been mentioned somewhere that it'll work like a twisty by leaving the switch on and turning the bezel until the light turns on/off.

The only gripe that I may have is the switch; it's not that I'm worried that it'll fail but that the click-sound it makes is pretty loud. (However, that's pretty easy to avoid in a tactical situation.)

If you're worried about "battery rattle" then shove a business card into the tube. Works great and is also a good way to identify your light.

BTW: I thought I read that his hosts won't work with other drop-ins but I'm running a Moddoo in a MD2 with hi/low switch as we speak and it works GREAT. It'll work with no modification but for the best fit I had the switch reamed out a bit. (FWIW.)

Last edited:

curtispdx

Enlightened
The MD4 is a perfect fit inside an ASP side-break scabbard. As for the MD2, it seems to fit any 6P/9P holster. (I'm not sure about the hard plastic ones like the one Surefire sells.) The one I'm using now is leather but I don't remember who made it.

For the drop-in, I'd suggest the M60 for its versatility. (Able to run off of two CR123 or two RCR123 batteries.) Then the warm version because I've found it easier to spot blood and bullet casings. Lastly, flood seems to be more useful than throw most of the time in an urban environment.

So, I'm sure there are lots of differing opinions but mine happens to be this: for a city cop who can get free primaries though his department (or relatively inexpensive through the PX. Twelve SF primaries for twenty-one or twenty-two bucks) or is willing to run RCRS, and leans toward a smaller light that can be kept on his duty rig along with all the other CRAP that he has to carry then the MD2 with the M60WF and the high/low switch is a hard combination to beat.

Last edited: