Barbo dive strobe? !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler

Enlightened
Dear Javier,
Dear fellow CPF BARBO fans,

Since I only dive (and trust) with my Barbo divelight (U 09, U15, T15 , U-04) it would be a logic choice to have a Barbo dive strobe too.

Indistructable , reliabel and very bright. A REAL rescue tool.
Nothing out there of any quality yet...

A small device would be a right choice.

But: is it possible? Is a led an option instead of using a xenon " light ring" ? It would have to float (agree?!). Is metal a right material (would it be a Barbo anymore?!) Is it something barbo would make? Would it fit in the line of products?

We use them when we dive on the North sea. Since there is a strong current you could get seperated from the boat. But I don't trust them.

Please feel free to comment!

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys,

The thing here is unfortunately the market rules against my will to develope new things.

Some technical considerations:

1. A strobe made with a single LED (SSCP7, MCE SST-50) would be bright enough to compete with xenon strobes.

2. It would be more reliable, by far.

3. It would be possible to make it on green- blue green, which would be more efficient in real terms than a white one.

4. It would allow a constant on light, low setting (let's say on the 1 watt area) to get a nice flood light for many hours. Great for some emergencies.

Some "market" considerations.

1. There are out there gazillion strobes, low cost. For sure 99% of them are really low quality, but some are good enough for the uses they are intented.. and that use is not for underwater.

2. Again, we have some low cost, low quality strobes for underwater use, they are good enough for recreational diving, in which you need to see your buddy just 5 meters away on clear waters.

3. The investment we should do for this is somewhat high to sell just a few, not to mention the investment on marketing.

So, the product was developed, studied.. and by now discarded. But sincerely, it is something I would love to do. Do you think we could get 100 units sold here (not industrial finish, but reliable enough)??

Javier

Whistler

Enlightened
Javier, you are my hero ;-)

In fact a strobe is a live saving essential in some situations. Therefore it should function always and it must me robust enough to survive an emergency (or more than 10 dives). I think all (if not all) out there is rubish at last.

A led is the logical choice. But can it shine around like an arch (xenon) does?
Metal (not plastic!) and HA is essential. But expensive.
Battery? Li or a more common type? What do you think? Perhaps an AA? You could use a Lithium AA as well. or go for the rechargeable battery?
Waterproof is an essential too. Of course.

It would be a great project. I'm not a marketing expert. But if you read some dive forums out there it could be a good selling product.

I would take a couple of those. For dving and on my boat. Let's say 5 (depends also on the final price ;-) )? I'm sure some fellow divers would take them too. Perhaps on the sail club !? let's see the next days.

Status
Not open for further replies.