runtime for 1d led mag?

linty

Newly Enlightened
Hello, but what would the approx runtime be for a 1d led mag running on a 10000 d cell? Thank you.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Hello, but what would the approx runtime be for a 1d led mag running on a 10000 d cell? Thank you.

Maybe I'm missing something but what LED and what driver? I'm assuming you are talking about a NiMH battery, based on the capacity.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
everything is stock, and yes nimh

Just a moment, so you are saying that Mag made an LED light in a 1D size? I didn't think they made anything in 1D? :confused: In that case, I haven't the faintest clue...

Anyways, assuming that they are running an LED with a Vf of about 3.5V at about 700mA... that will consume 2.45W... your battery will have 120W of power which seems high, but I've never used D cells before, so there you go. That would run for 49 hours... but the driver might only be 70% efficient, so that knocks it down to about 34 hours. Then again, they could be running the LED at anything from say 1.2A right down to 350mA... so it could be more like 20 hours, or it could be 70 hours...

linty

Newly Enlightened
Just a moment, so you are saying that Mag made an LED light in a 1D size? I didn't think they made anything in 1D? :confused: In that case, I haven't the faintest clue...

Anyways, assuming that they are running an LED with a Vf of about 3.5V at about 700mA... that will consume 2.45W... your battery will have 120W of power which seems high, but I've never used D cells before, so there you go. That would run for 49 hours... but the driver might only be 70% efficient, so that knocks it down to about 34 hours. Then again, they could be running the LED at anything from say 1.2A right down to 350mA... so it could be more like 20 hours, or it could be 70 hours...

oh sorry I haven't been clear, it's a 2d led mag that has been cut down to 1d

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your not being very clear on the LED,
Or the Driver whether its, PWM, Boost, Buck, Direct Drive.
Take some time and get to know the light and what makes it click then explain it thoroughly, at that point someone can give you an answer.

everything is stock, and yes nimh
:thinking: What is stock about a 1D LED Mag?

wquiles

Flashaholic

OK, like others said, lets try this again:

You have a 2D cut into a 1D. Now:
1) Are you still using the Original Maglite 2D LED module?
2) If you have replaced the Original Maglite 2D LED module with something else, what are you using now?
3) What exact battery are you using in your 1xD? A single "D" size NiMH rechargeable cell?

Anyways, assuming that they are running an LED with a Vf of about 3.5V at about 700mA... that will consume 2.45W... your battery will have 120W of power which seems high ...
Yes, not possible. A standard 10,000mAH D cell has only about 12W of power available (10000mA at 1.2V). But to estimate runtime we really need to know more about the LED module he is using, as a 2D LED Module from Maglite will not work at rated output when driven from just one cell.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Yes, not possible. A standard 10,000mAH D cell has only about 12W of power available (10000mA at 1.2V). But to estimate runtime we really need to know more about the LED module he is using, as a 2D LED Module from Maglite will not work at rated output when driven from just one cell.

Haha, yeah... pretty sure I had the decimal in the wrong place there! Oops, I should really be getting more sleep these days. :laughing:

linty

Newly Enlightened
2) If you have replaced the Original Maglite 2D LED module with something else, what are you using now?
3) What exact battery are you using in your 1xD? A single "D" size NiMH rechargeable cell?

1) Yes, the led module is the original one
2) no, same led module the 2d mag came with
3) Yes, a single d size nimh rechargeable cell, the Accupower 10 000 lsd to be exact.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened

1) Yes, the led module is the original one
2) no, same led module the 2d mag came with
3) Yes, a single d size nimh rechargeable cell, the Accupower 10 000 lsd to be exact.

Does it run alright? 1.2V may be a bit low to run the LED, or at least to run it fully as the module was probably designed for the higher voltage of 2 D cells and not 1 cell... then again, I have no experience with the Mag LED lights, so I can only speculate.