whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Happy Escher\'s Birthday

escher.gif

" The Corporate Ladder "
"Always room at the top"

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Re: Happy Escher\'s Birthday

Ah yes! M.C. Escher, one of my favorite pop artists of all time. Do you like H.R. Giger as well. I loved Giger's cover art on ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery". Another one of my favorites goes without saying, Salvatore Dali, especially his photojournalism. "Caos" was just downright impressive.

Ed.

emitter

Newly Enlightened

some Escher trivia -
His early non-geometric work, which many people never see, was of landscapes, portraits, and such. My understanding is that he learned about his trademark geometry from his brother, who was a crystallographer. Many of his sketches note which of his 'systems' he used, which are basically 2 dimensional equivalents of crystal systems used in geology and ceramic science. He would have been an amazing architect. Escher and Gorey are my favorite pen artists.

-ned

highlandsun

Enlightened

Architect? hm..... now my brain goes reeling, trying to imagine how his thinking would translate into real world objects...

lightnix

Enlightened

When in comes to architecture, you can't beat Gaudi IMHO. His unrealised design for a hotel in NY looks a little like it could have been thought up by Giger.

I fell in love with Escher's work 28 years ago, he was one of my first favourite artists, along with Roger Dean.