Energizer Weather Ready 4 LED Flashlight

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
I used the search feature and did not find anything specific on this model - see below and its the 4 LED model.

http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/preparedness/Pages/emergency-lights.aspx

I am looking for opinions on this model(also the 2 LED model). I am new to this web site and the new generation flashlight LED electronics arena but am in the two way radio electronics service industry so I have some understanding of electronics but not too familar with all the new gen flashlight buzz words.

I am wondering about the durability/reliability of these models and hoping someone that has purchased one of them can provide any opinions. They seem to be in the relatively very affordable zone.

TIA.......fineshot1

thermal guy

Flashaholic
:welcome: Energizer lights are OK and yes very affordable but there are MANY others out there that are better.What kind of light are you looking for and what will you be doing with it.

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
Well - they sell these Energizer Weather Ready 4 LED Flashlights at Target stores and I have a $10 gift card for Target and I am looking for a decent LED flashlight that is durable and reliable for home / outdoor / camping use. With the gift card I figure I could save myself some $ and at the same time get a decent quality LED flashlight. I did the same thing last time I got a gift card for Target and purchased a River Rock TM-321XSE6 flashlight and spent very little of my own $. Thanks for the response..........dan

DaveG

Enlightened
I have the 3 in 1 -model,lower left hand corner of link pic,its a combo flashlight-lantern seems well made and the lantern is bright,good tent light to take camping.

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
OK thanks DaveG - that is good to know before I make the purchase.

I was hoping to generate some interest and get more opinions but it
appears that these little flashlights are somewhat under the radar or
perhaps they have not been on the market for too long.

Last edited:

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
Ok - purchased it tonight. It comes with two C cells and illuminates pretty much like any generic flashlight - no focused beam. I like the fact that it will also take two AA or two AAA cells and it does seem well made for a plastic flashlight. Its was $13.39 + tax at Target.

NOTE: I noticed they also had a pretty good line of River Rock LED flashlights and the two C cell model caught my eye so I may be making another trip.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also bought one of these. Decent light for what it is and what it costs. Of course, the light output is nothing compared to the lights usually discussed on this forum. The reason I bought it is to stock my emergency kit. I did not have a light that will take C batteries, and in my experience, those are the last to sell out during a widespread power outage. So I wanted a long-running LED light that could take C batteries. It claims 40 hours on C batteries. The fact that this one also runs on AAA or AA is a plus for this kind of need. I can scavenge those sizes from clocks and remote controls, etc. This light is perfect for that purpose.

It has four 5-mm LEDs behind 4 magnifying lenses. The beam is only moderately bright and it has a moon projection surrounded by a dark ring and then some spill outside of that. There is a fair amount of backscatter. Usable, but definitely not a very good beam. The beam would probably be greatly improved by removing the lens. I can't see any way to do that except for sawing it off (which would probably be fine).

The battery compartment is sealed with an O-ring. It does not claim to be water-proof, but it seems to be built at least with that goal in mind. The plastic is quite thick and seems durable. It looks like it could take a drop without breaking or opening. It has a reverse clickie switch. The multi-size battery tray is interesting and seems to work well. It works kind of like a battery charger where the smaller battery goes into the same slot as the larger battery, but into a deeper and narrower channel.

For any normal, daily utility use, it is too big for it's light output. The body is as big around and as long as a D-cell light and the head is larger than it needs to be. I will not be tempted to put this into regular use. But for my emergency kit, it seems like a good option to have. Although it might also be a good light for a kid since it is not too bright and has simple operation.

For this purpose, I also considered a crank or shake light, but it is too much hassle to charge them. I also considered a solar light, but this light might be stored for many, many years before being used. I don't know if the rechargeable batteries in a solar light would take a charge after that. At a minimum, they would be dead and I may need to use the light right away.

By the way, the light is 10% off at Target right now and costs $12.05 after the discount.

Last edited: