Stunned, thrilled, and afraid.

DaveN007

Newly Enlightened
Years ago, I put together a small CR123 Surefire collection. Little ones and big ones. I bought a few novelty LED lights that were bright enough to help me find a real flashlight in the dark...but would stay light for many hours.

Now I step out of the time machine and OH MY GOODNESS...

I just got my first CPF "respectable" torch. A TK40.

I am stunned by the light output, multiple output levels, and overall performance.

I am thrilled with the infinitely practical 8AA design.

I am afraid that my journey has ended. I think i have found the perfect flashlight.

Granted, Benjamin Franklin would be equally impressed by a 1963 VW Beetle.

Please tell me that this is just the beginning. I also got a AAA multi-mode light that was AMAZING...especially on HIGH...for the 10 minutes before it stopped working. (Bad luck. I am sure the supplier will get me a new one.) A single AAA throwing the light of a 2D old school light??? Incredible.

I had fun last night doing comparo testing with my oldest daughter who needs a flashlight to take with her to camp next week. We settled on a nice Target acquired Rock River 2 C light I got a couple of weeks ago. Not so bright as to be frightening, and enough run time for the week.

Anyway, it has been fun reading and I look forward to learning.lovecpf

JeffInChi

Enlightened
:welcome:

I Love the TK40 too, and there are more great lights out there right now, and of course on the horizon.....

If your thinking about getting a good AAA to replace your other one, I can suggest a Fenix E01 or LD01.

There is also another hight quality AAA thats floating around here called the LiteFlux, although I don't know much about it, or where to order it from.

BTW, if you become a "flashaholic", be prepared to look like this....:broke:

computernut

Enlightened
Part of finding the perfect light is having multiple perfect lights and you'll eventually keep going back to a particular one. One problem is that one light isn't good for everything and as you experiment with different lights you'll find what you thought was perfect wasn't exactly what you were looking for. Once you find your perfect light just keep coming back here and something new will catch your eye lovecpf

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I was stunned by the TK40 too and still love it. I've found that this is really as much light as I need for practical purposes and still stand by that statement after a whole summer of playing with it.

For the perfect light part I agree with Computernut: I found that I most often will use 2 or 3 different lights (sometimes more, especially for hiking) for different purposes and that there is usually one that gets used most often. It's really a question of how do you use your lights and for what purpose.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Let me get this straight: you have at least two surefires and you feel your first "respectable" light is a fenix??? :crackup:

In terms of brightness compared to, say, an old school 6P,an e2e, or any of the other 2x123 lights... absolutely!

The new LEDs produce massive amounts of light compared to even the high end lights of a couple of years ago.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a good AAA light, I like the Maratac AAA light I bought from countycomm.com

It is a very good quality light, 3-stage, VERY bright, and is very small, even by AAA standards. Many CPF'ers have the Maratac AAA and like it quite a bit.

I use mine every day for work, even putting a cut piece of silicone tubing on it to use as a bite-light. Excellent light!:thumbsup:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Years ago, I put together a small CR123 Surefire collection. Little ones and big ones. I bought a few novelty LED lights that were bright enough to help me find a real flashlight in the dark...but would stay light for many hours.

Now I step out of the time machine and OH MY GOODNESS...

I just got my first CPF "respectable" torch. A TK40.

I am stunned by the light output, multiple output levels, and overall performance.

I am thrilled with the infinitely practical 8AA design.

I am afraid that my journey has ended. I think i have found the perfect flashlight.

Granted, Benjamin Franklin would be equally impressed by a 1963 VW Beetle.

Please tell me that this is just the beginning. I also got a AAA multi-mode light that was AMAZING...especially on HIGH...for the 10 minutes before it stopped working. (Bad luck. I am sure the supplier will get me a new one.) A single AAA throwing the light of a 2D old school light??? Incredible.

I had fun last night doing comparo testing with my oldest daughter who needs a flashlight to take with her to camp next week. We settled on a nice Target acquired Rock River 2 C light I got a couple of weeks ago. Not so bright as to be frightening, and enough run time for the week.

Anyway, it has been fun reading and I look forward to learning.lovecpf

It sounds like you need one of the newer Surefire models. lol.. Hold out for perhaps the UB3, or buy an LX2! lol

I will of course always suggest to buy more.