AA or AAx2 with longest runtime on a low setting

JeffInChi

Enlightened
Been searching for the last day or so for a durable light that runs on a single AA battery or 2 AA batteries for a long time. I'm looking for some recommendations for a light that'll last. I'd like:

Something that has a low setting of around 1 or 2 lumens and can last for days, preferably weeks.

I'd prefer to stay away from headlamps for now.

Size isn't a huge concern, but I'd prefer it to fit in a large pocket.

Waterproof is a must, something in the "dunkable" catagorey should suffice.

As far as beam goes, I'd prefer a floody beam over a thrower although its not that important.

Absolutely no parasitic drain, I would like to turn the light on and know that it'll turn on.

I would also like the light to tailstand, to use in cases of power outages or lack of electricity.

A warmer or neutral tint over a cooler one would be perfered

Any suggestions?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark 2aa 30 days

Typical Output Levels and Runtimes + (LED drive current)
Moonlight: 0.2 lumens for 30 days (1ma)
Low: 3.5 lumens for 5 days (10ma)
Medium: 18 lumens for 24 hours (50ma)
High: 70 lumens for 5 hours (250ma)
Max: 170 lumens for 1.3 hours (700ma)

JeffInChi

Enlightened
thanks for the help, luckily I have a 2 AA ti quark on the way. So is Quark the leader in this low light/long runtime catagory with the "moonlight mode"?

JBorneu

Enlightened
The Proton Pro has parasitic drain, not a good choice. The Quark is probably your best choice right now.

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you folks for the info in this thread. Because of the helpful info here I just
ordered the Quark 2AA. This is a great informative thread for newbies like me.

Keep it coming......dan

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you guys will be very satisfied with the Quark lights. I have 2 and they are my main lights over the 2 Fenix L series that I had prior to the Quarks. I use the moon mode on my regular Quark the most. It is still plenty bright to dark adapted eyes and of course has crazy runtime.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the help, luckily I have a 2 AA ti quark on the way. So is Quark the leader in this low light/long runtime catagory with the "moonlight mode"?
Not sure abt it as the leader of the low lights. But it has gained popularity in that category.

A warmer or neutral tint over a cooler one would be perfered

The Quark AA^2 seems to fit what you are looking for in your first post. Except that the Ti's XPG R4s are expected to be cool whites. Not a bad thing though, don't know if it fits your preference.

EDIT:
Just to note, the regular tailcaps allows tailstanding over the tactical tailcaps which does not.

Last edited:

JeffInChi

Enlightened
Not a big deal, I think i'm starting to prefer the diamond white/warm white tints more and more. Thanks for all the info

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Sounds like a Zebralight H50 might be suitable. I hardly think of it as a headlamp, and have actually never used it as one. But, it's a great floody pocket light or clip-on light with serious runtime.

Geoff

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you folks for the info in this thread. Because of the helpful info here I just
ordered the Quark 2AA. This is a great informative thread for newbies like me.

Keep it coming......dan

Well - I never did get my Quark 2AA from 4Sevens - the package got lost in the usps mail
and I did not opt for insurance. The worst part is the fact that I can't even get trevor at 4Sevens to communicate with me. As per the usps personel I requested Trevor initiate a trace with the Atlanta GA post office it was shipped from but he seems to refuse to communicate with me. First and last time I do business with 4Sevens.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well - I never did get my Quark 2AA from 4Sevens - the package got lost in the usps mail
and I did not opt for insurance. The worst part is the fact that I can't even get trevor at 4Sevens to communicate with me. As per the usps personel I requested Trevor initiate a trace with the Atlanta GA post office it was shipped from but he seems to refuse to communicate with me. First and last time I do business with 4Sevens.

It might be worth another shot, they are usually fast and helpful:whistle:

jcw122

Enlightened

Phones are useful.

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
Phones are useful.

It never fails - there is always one wise axx answer.

I have called many times and the phone goes un-answered.

I have left messages on their online message utility and the
messages go un-answered. I got one email reply from Trevor
who told me to contact the post office but I have done that
and the po personnel told me that the shipper must initiate
a trace from the originating post office and I have tried conveying
that info to 4Sevens only to get silence back from them.

Order went in online on 9/27/09 and I seem to be spinning my wheels
trying to communicate with them by voice or any other means.

The post office online tracking utility has shown the package in
transit since 9/28/09 but it stopped at a po facility up in nnj on
9/29/09 and has not moved since. That's why I tried getting them
to do a trace but can not seem to get them to communicate with me.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I have called many times and the phone goes un-answered.

I'm shocked to read this. I've placed a bunch of orders with 4sevens / fenix-store.com with uniformly excellent communication and order fulfillment. The one time I had a warranty issue they dealt with it promptly and professionally. Every time I've called they've either answered the phone or called me back.

If they've been showing you a pattern of poor customer service then I suggest that you PM 4Sevens here on CPF. Whatever's gone wrong I would expect that David will make it right.

Latest posts