Flashlight to complement a handgun..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby_7

Newly Enlightened
hey guys and/or gals, im kinda new to quality flashlights. tried to mod some a few times but never finished ;)

I did some searching on the forum and didnt really come up with what I was looking for. That is a flashlight to store under my bed, in the case a burglary situation arises, to go along with my Springfield XD. I'm only looking to spend in the $50 range, and I don't know where that stands in the grades of flashlights, but I would like to get the brightest flashlight possible for that amount.

Originally was looking for just a small 1" flashlight, maybe some different brightness settings that are easy to change, preferably with just a few clicks of the button. maybe one with a rigid bezel, as a last ditch personal safety device..

I found a Fenix LD20 for about $60, but don't really know anything about the quality of it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
For use with a handgun in a house, you want simplicity of operation. The Surefire 2-cell series (6P/C2/Z2/G2) are the perfect compliment. Any of those would be ideal. No need for multi-level switching. The only exception I would say is the Surefire L1/L2 that go from low to high with a harder press of the button. Any more complicated than that and you run the risk of being in the wrong mode at the wrong time. Too bright inside a house makes things wash out and messes up your ability to navigate when you switch the light off (which you will want to be able to do. Light = bullet magnet). No need for fancy techniques that integrate light and gun with two hands and leave you unable to open doors and use your free hand. Gun in dominant hand, light in other hand, thumb on switch. Invest in some training. Having a decent light the extends from the bottom of your hand makes for a handy hammer-fist if the fight gets up close, the odds of which are very high. It's not just a "gun fight", it's still a FIGHT and you happen to have a gun in your hand.

Nothing wrong with having a budget, just make sure you set realistic goals. Nothing like a $500 gun in a $15 holster to tear and drop it on the floor, or cheap dirty ammo, or a lock that is easily defeated, or a case that is easily opened. Make sure you seek out quality components for your self defense layout, that includes a good flashlight. A Surefire G2 is under your budget and will work well. The ones with the LED module are brighter, longer runtime, and won't blow out from a hard impact.

Last edited:

groo01

Newly Enlightened
Groo here
1911 has it correct.
Simple on off not too bright [no worry in your price range]
For me it is a Surefire G2 [with a deere upgrade at about 200l]
Big enough to hold, light enough to hold for a while, simple on off
button [no klicky] but on with a twist to stay.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
This could go two ways very easily.

The easiest thing to do is just to get a simple flashlight with or without various modes, figure out a good way to hold both, and then hope you don't have to act.

The best thing to do is first tell yourself you're going to win if anything ever happened. Then read up on a few ways to pair a light with a handgun. Then practice movements around the house.

It really isn't hard to learn how to use momentary activations when maneuvering around. It's really easy in fact.

However, in a defense situation, given you didn't have to go check on other people in the house, one could just sit in a room, wait for the door to open, turn the light on, and then prepare to bring hell to the person in the light.

I give a big vote to a G2L. At 80 lumens it's plenty bright enough to use in a house. It's small enough to pair easily with a handgun. The twistie works flawlessy in a stressful situation.

Figure out a comfortable way to pair it with a gun. Turn all of the lights out and practice maneuvering throughout your house. Then pray you only have to practice.

Then make sure your state allows you to shoot random people in your house. If not, make sure you ask them nicely to leave :poke:

bobby_7

Newly Enlightened
while this is all good advice, i have looked at the G2 and I am not too sure about the switch on it... I realize that should the situation arise when i need to use it, i will probably only need momentary, but it seems a little complicated to need to turn the tail cap to get it to stay on, especially if I am holding a gun with no thumb safety..

I have been checking out this Olight T20 and I am liking it. I am between the tactical or military version. main difference is that the military one has strobe and SOS, the tactical doesnt. my only question is if anyone has experiece with one. if I understand it correctly, you loosen the bezel and the brightness will ramp up or down, in a linear pattern, and then when you get the brightness you want, you tighten the bezel and you're set. half press of the switch gets you momentary, full click and it goes back to the last brightness you had it on when you turned it off last. this seems to be a simple click on and off, once you have your brightness set, if I understand the functioning correctly. am I right in my understanding??

Tactical: http://www.olights.com/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=35

Military: http://www.olights.com/product_info.php?products_id=34

NE450No2

Enlightened
I agree with sween1911.

For primary use with a handgun I prefer the Sure Fire models with the combat grip like the Z2, C2 and G2, with either the Incandescent Lamp or the LED.

There is a reason the "switch" on a Combat Light only has push for momentary on, with the ability to twist for full on.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what you want with the light there really is no wrong way to do it. Simple home defense isn't complicated enough to dive into combat tactics. It might be over doing the situation.

The T20 seems to be an ok light except for the UI. I'm not sure why anyone thought that was tactical. Trying to twist the head in certain ways to change levels seems too much. Especially if you were trying to do it under stress.

Try one of these if you ask me:

Fenix TK series
EagleTac Tactical series

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
Another option may be ........
Seeing as how you have a pistol with a rail, why not get a mounted light
like the StreamLight TLR-1 or TLR-3 ? That way its is always with the gun, no need to have something in both hands, oh yes, and it is always with the gun. LaPoliceGear has a $10.oo mail in rebate with the TLR-3 at the moment. http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/policestuff/TLR3-Rebate.pdf

As a side note : I purchased a Fenix TK11 R2 for an AR15 mount. In the house and on high, the bounce off of a wall --- you blind yourself as well.

Good Luck in your hunt

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/Here

bobby_7

Newly Enlightened
Try one of these if you ask me:

Fenix TK series
EagleTac Tactical series

i did like the Fenix TK10 and the EagleTac T10's....im going to look more into them.

I saw the G2 gets 80 lumens max, does that mean 80 lumens all the time, or just when you turn it on when there is max battery power or something? I noticed that the TK10 and the T10's are only like 55 lumens (in general mode, not the high power mode) , which may not be a big deal, i just don't know the difference between 55 lumens and 80 lumens. For someone who hasnt spent a lot of time with flashlights, its hard to tell if 55 lumens is plenty when you can't try it out. maybe I would be better buying a more expensive light at wal-mart to get started...

I was originally looking at the rail mount lights, but i also like to carry my handgun on occasion, so I wouldnt want to take it on and off when i decide to holster it, especially if i got a pressure switch for it.

NE450No2

Enlightened
IF your handgun has a rail then it is a good idea to carry a rail mounted light on you belt, or if it is a "house/car handgun just leave the light mounted.

I have used the Sure Fire X series and the Streamlight TLR 2 with excellent results.

The Streamlight has a build in Laser. You can choose laser only, light only or both.

It tightens down on your rail and the laser can be sighted in.

It will also fit on long gun rails.

JeffInChi

Enlightened
The Eagletac p100c2 has a great feel in the hand with a handgun, has no clip, and has just the right amount of grip to it. It has a forward clicky (half press for momentary on). Plus, it's around your budget of $50 and takes 2 cr123a batteries.

Possible Cons; it can't tailstand, though if you're only using it as a tac light, that shouldn't matter. Also, as other posters have stated, this light may be too bright for tac situations. It does have a nice low setting that can be activated by twisting the head left, but if you do forget and leave it on high, it'll initially blind you and ruin your night vision.

Surefire's are probably the best choice, but this is a good alternative. Low light for clearing rooms/halways, bright setting for outdoor/large area clearing.

Good Luck

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend a pistol mounted light. TLR-1 can be found for under $100. No need for lasers. Otherwise I would recommend a G2L as well and a combat grip. They are only $10 for a pack of three. Practice shooting with the light. Don't treat a light as a simple tool that doesn't need familiarization and practice. Your goal is to manipulate a weapon and flashlight all at the same time. Believe me it is not a simple task. I took light discipline and low light tactics very seriously in my mil-sim airsoft games. lights with the appropriate tactics is a force multiplier. It gave me a huge advantage over my opponents in an indoor CQB environment. However tactics aside, merely wielding a weapon and light while trying to get shots on target is no easy task. Just aiming and getting a good grouping is tough enough. There is no real substitute for practice.

I would recommend watching the brief sample videos of Surefire Institute's Low Light Tactics and try to absorb their simple light manipulations and try out different grips while at the shooting range. For pistol shooting I think the Surefire grip is the best. It allows two handed control on the pistol while holding and activating the light.

Pistol mounted lights are better for a more controlled grip. However the previous post is correct, people have a tendency tho shoot at the light. It is real tough to say don't mount the light. I have used mounted lights and find they can work. But you need experience and practice. Airsoft helps greatly in that aspect. Opponents are bold and fearless since minor pain is the only real consequence to being shot. Usually they are armed with full auto weapons. A real worse case scenario. Every one has hundred of rounds and shooting full auto. Manning up and going out with just a pistol and light, inside a low light environment is a real tough test of skill and tactics.

Last edited:

ARA

Enlightened
@solscud007, well said sir,

another problem with a weapon mounted light is you end up pointing the weapon at everything. That breaks the cardinal rule of weapon safety of not pointing it at anything you do not wish to destroy.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a home environment one would create enough side spill to not have to point the weapon at something non hostile.

People do like to shoot at the light BUT..

In a home environment there isn't enough space to not see the threat before the threat sees you. Enter a room and light it up you're going to see each other at the same time. If your weapon is raised you have time to react.

It takes a person just under two seconds to react I believe. I'll have to find that again. This gives you almost two seconds to squeeze a round off if you surprised them.

Plus, using low light tactics (flash, move, flash, move) one would eliminate the possibility of a threat shooting at your light.

This is because you don't move in patterns. Don't peak around a corner, flash, then peak back at the same spot if you saw someone. Move out in to the hallway and light up or crouch and peek back around the corner.

It's quick thinking, quick movement, and un-predictable actions that will keep a threat from blindly shooting at your light. Don't give them enough time to see your light. You can clear a room in half a second and turn your light off. Then they would have to shoot blindy into the darkness and you should have already moved.

Just be happy you don't like in a warehouse or factory :candle:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something else I thought of. With a pistol mounted light, the light is always there. With a stand alone hand held light you have to search for it. Of course you can always keep the light and in together. But again if you go shooing you might forget your light. Depending on your setup a good holster with light pouch. Or some other way to keep the gun and light together at all times.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something else I thought of. With a pistol mounted light, the light is always there. With a stand alone hand held light you have to search for it. Of course you can always keep the light and in together. But again if you go shooing you might forget your light. Depending on your setup a good holster with light pouch. Or some other way to keep the gun and light together at all times.

Had never thought of this. Your right though. When the **** hits the fan and you have enough time to only react it would benefit to need fewer things. Meaning your light and gun be combined and not found separately.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
I am not sure a light attached to a pistol is good for the laymen (no offense).

Where ever the light shines so does the muzzel of the pistol. There are times when a light is needed to see a subject (possible family member) and one does not want to point muzzel at family member.

If you are a layman (no offense) i think the G2L and Handgun is a great combo. Just get a good holster for light (bezel down) and belt/holster for firearm.

Just my .2cents

bobby_7

Newly Enlightened
wow I never thought about all the things that are being brought up...

I spent some time today maneuvering around my house with the gun (unloaded of course) and a cheap flashlight i had laying around the house. I used a few different methods and was fairly comfortable with them. I think with some practice and seeing which method I like most, I can get comfortable with them.

I also found on the Springfield website, or with the upgraded weapons kit from EagleTac, i can buy a rail mount. I think I have decided to buy this and the EagleTac T100C2 Mark II. This light is right on target with my budget, seems to have everything I want, and I can use it as a standalone flashlight, or with this rail mount, i can mount it on the gun.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a streamlight mounted on my Glock. I find that the 60 or so lumens bouncing off the wall, even for a moment, is plenty of light for me to see something without pointing my gun directly at it so there is no need to aim the weapon at a family member to identify them as such.

--flatline

Status
Not open for further replies.