Itouch vs. Iphone question

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides make phone calls and connect to the web via wireless phone signal, is there anything the iphone does that the itouch does not? Meaning all the apps and downloadable games, etc. are compatible for both devices? I kick around getting an itouch sometimes but would never pay the wireless fees associated with an iphone.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's about it in essence. I have a gen1 Touch, and it doesn't have a speaker like the current models. Any app that doesn't use iPhone specific actions, like dialing, talking, etc. generally works on the Touch. The App store should say if there there is a compatibility problem - otherwise, unless it's something that obviously does some function the touch doesn't have, assume it will work.

You can't access the net over the cellular, so you miss out on slow but always-available-when-the-phone-works service. Makes you a wifi whore. Note that the newest 32/64GB models are faster and more featured than the 8GB. Don't pay full for an old 32.

Like you say, it good if you have a phone you like already or don't want ATT service and can live with wifi only.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camera. The Touch doesn't have a camera.

Yet.

(There's very good evidence that the camera was left out due to faulty parts, and that it's on the way as an updated Touch.)

Oh, and I think the Touch might lack the compass also.
Has the accelerometer. That's useful for games.
I think it also lacks GPS, even in the latest Touch. VERIFIED: NO GPS. The touch finds location only by approximation from the "known" WiFi locations it's receiving.
What of the locationing stuff is in there is a little unclear to me, but I think I've got these right.

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, other differences as the others noted. Location finding on the Touch is done by Skyhook wifi IP address lookup. It's spookily accurate if any wifi is around. I assume the iPhone can use either GPS or Skyhook.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I read Apple is pushing the itouch gaming platform features to compete with the Sony and Nintendo handhelds. While playing some games that can make use of the accelerometer might be fun, I would have to think it can't really compare to platforms with a real controller.

I gather you can't visit the apps store to find out what is out there for the itouch without installing itunes on your PC?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Keep in mind, if you buy an iPhone without a plan, you can have all of the non cell specific features that the touch lacks. It just usually costs so much more (unsubsidized), folks don't bother.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used an iPhone but own a 32gig 2nd gen. touch. Best purchase I have ever made. I have come to realize its more of a palm sized computer than just a music player. I can transfer files, PDF's, photos, videos and spreadsheets that I occasionally use at work. If you wish to jailbreak...the potential of this little device is awesome.

Latest posts