Surefire z58 vs. z49

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've heard that the z49 is more robust than the z58 when you want a forward-clickie tailcap on a light running an extremely high-output LED.

Normally, I just use the z41 on most of my legoed Surefires. I'd like to use a forward-clickie on an upcoming lego light. And I want it to be as reliable as possible. (Without using a z41).

Would the z49 be a better choice?

Any help would be appreciated. :thanks:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I guess that is to do with the rubber surrounding 'protecting' the switch itself??

I believe the rubber shroud is to allow for the z48 / z49 tailcaps to be used in momentary mode, without switching the light to constant-on by mistake. Same concept as the z68, but without using metal for the shroud.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rubber shroud allows the light to tailstand.

Z58/59 innards are exactly the same as Z48/49.

High current/high reliabilty applications would always be best served with a twisty like the Z41. If you want to use a forward clickie, its always advisable to have a twisty as a backup. I have had BOTH Z58 and Z48 fail on me during outdoor rugged use.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Definitely a nice side benefit with those tailcaps.

High current/high reliabilty applications would always be best served with a twisty like the Z41. If you want to use a forward clickie, its always advisable to have a twisty as a backup. I have had BOTH Z58 and Z48 fail on me during outdoor rugged use.

Both failed? Not what I was expecting to hear. But definitely appreciate the honest response.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rubber shroud (Z48/49) was designed to prevent accidental activation of the light (basically a requirement for military "approved" weapon mounted lights). Although it does allow it to tailstand, this wasn't it's intended function. It tailstands o.k. with a 2 cell light, but the three cell lights tailstanding with one of these is easily knocked over, even with a slight bump of the table. The rubber shroud makes it a little harder to pocket (the rubber catches...if that makes sense), so I would go with the Z58/59 if it were me. The Z5x's are also alot easier to turn on...you almost have overextend your thumb to get the light to turn on with the 48/49. Hope this helps, mono.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Pictures may help:

241t89i.jpg

Its hard to improve on the shear simplicity and massive contact area of a giant metal disc clamping up against the end of a big metal tube, but looking only at clickys, the 48/49's are beefier than the 58/59's in most respects.

I havn't found the stomach to try it with mine yet, but I'm toying with the idea of slicing a few mm off the Z49's rubber shroud.
In theory at least, it would make activation easier while still preserving tail stand-ability [on 2 cell lights].

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rubber shroud on my Z48 is pliable enough that I basically use the tail button in the normal way to turn on my light. I don't try to come over the top to press the button. I just lay my thumb into the edge of the shroud and press. The rubber collapses and button activation is easy.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Size15's in this post claims that the "Z48/Z49/SW02 are build (sic) military-tough at the expense of size which is why the Z58/Z59 were demanded...." Although not stated directly, the implication seems to be that the Z48/Z49/SW02 switches are more rugged than those in the Z58/Z59. Have you disassembled both of your tailcaps to verify that the switches are identical?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I was not aware that the Z48/49 clickie mechanism had been changed to what the Z58/Z59 clickie mechanism now is.
All of those I have obviously different internals.

Of course now that SureFire has settled on a clickie mechanism for their Z58/Z59 that has been performing well for a few years may be they have updated their Z48/Z49 TailCaps?

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noni Hazard from Surefire's Customer Service confirmed with me that the internals are the same and I see no reason not to believe Noni.

However, I'll be more than happy to open up both the Z58/59 and z48/49 to verify that they use the same internals if you donated both the tailcaps for this experiment.

:D

Size15's in this post claims that the "Z48/Z49/SW02 are build (sic) military-tough at the expense of size which is why the Z58/Z59 were demanded...." Although not stated directly, the implication seems to be that the Z48/Z49/SW02 switches are more rugged than those in the Z58/Z59. Have you disassembled both of your tailcaps to verify that the switches are identical?

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Some great info.

Thanks to all of you for helping me with this issue. lovecpf

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noni Hazard from Surefire's Customer Service confirmed with me that the internals are the same and I see no reason not to believe Noni.

However, I'll be more than happy to open up both the Z58/59 and z48/49 to verify that they use the same internals if you donated both the tailcaps for this experiment.

:D

I don't have both versions, otherwise I'd verify it myself. But it seems clear that at one time, the switches were different based on Size15's response above. The question remains, however, what switch is now in the Z48/49 and Z58/59. Same switch as in the old Z48/49? Same switch as in the old Z58/59? A completely new switch? The anecdotal reports on CPF suggest that the old Z48/49 was very rugged. No one seemed to report any failures. If there are Z48/49 failures now, I wonder if the switch is no longer the same as before.

The larger Z48/49 tailcap housing suggests a larger switch mechanism and that could be tough to fit into a smaller Z58/59 housing. So my guess is that the old Z48/49 switch is not being used in the Z58/59. So that leaves the second or third switch possibilities. I would hope that the original Z58/59 switch is not now being used in the Z48/49. If it is a new switch that can fit both Z48/49 and Z58/59 tailcap housings, then it would seem that the new switch is physically smaller than the old Z48/49 switch, which also doesn't bode well.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Z48 and Z49 a fews months ago from SF. They are the same dimensions as a Z48 I got used from the Marketplace. That one has been around the block a few times. The older one is on an M2 in my work disaster kit so I can't compare the internals with the brand new ones I have. I also have a Z41 backup switch for the M2 just in case along with a full SC1 with the newest batteries I have on hand. One can never be too prepared.

I have a Z58 on an 6PDL. I like the switch but have had problems with it. The top plate came loose. When it came unscrewed the gasket become bunched up. I was able to tighten it back down gripping the body of the tailcap and top plate with a pair of rubberbands and twisting. I mentioned this to SF and it was one of the few times their customer service didn't offer a replacement in my experience.

Maybe someday SF can cram a regulator in the Z48/Z49. That would be awesome!

I always install twistys when I'm traveling light and only take one handheld. KISS!!!

kelmo

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be great if you get the chance to compare the old vs new Z48/49 internals as well as with your Z58.

I'll check out my old Z48 and snap a photo when my camera gets fixed.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the "new" Z48/49 switches, as I only have the old Z48 and SW02. However I do have the old Z59 and a new Z59, and I can say that the "click" of the new Z59 feels pretty soft and flimsy compared to the old Z59. The spring of the new Z59 looks thicker but has a softer rate than the old Z59 & Z48. However Surefire states that durability has improved, something about higher current ability... Go figure...

L to R : NewZ59, OldZ59, OldZ48
280209094.jpg

Last edited: