Does anyone here do music recording at home?

Centropolis

Enlightened
I am starting to get into computer-based recording. I own an oldschool cassette tape 4 track Tascam recorder for the longest time and I think it's time to go into computer recording.

I am thinking of getting a basic USB interface unit like a Tascam US-122L and use either the bundled scaledown version of Cubase LE or something else that would work with the unit.

My question is, is there something else better but not a lot more expensive than the Cubase LE that I can use with the interface? It is just an interface so I assume it'll work with almost any computer recording software?

Better yet, is there a free one somewhere?

PhotoWiz

Newly Enlightened
I don't know much about recording, but I know where to find out.

I periodically visit YouTube.com to listen to some guys that call themselves "Multi-trackers." They are Barbershoppers that like to sing all four parts and blend them together so they sound like a barbershop quartet. They usually show a split-screen video of themselves singing all four parts too.

Some of them talk about the equipment they use in some postings. I'm quite sure you could contact them and ask more details. Everything I've seen though, says that you need to spend the money on the microphone.

So, search for "Barbershop multi-tracking" on YouTube and you'll see what I'm talking about. Two of the guys that really have this nailed go by the names Finney Lee and Big O. There are perhaps a dozen others.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
Check out the Zoom H2 audio recorder. Samson - Zoom - H2. It's can be used hooked up to your computer or portable. Can record WAV or MP3 files at various bitrates. Can record at 96 kbits which is over twice the audio range of a CD. Has 4 microphones in it. Can record in stereo in several different ways. Can even record in quad. Read the reviews on Amazon and see what people like or don't like about it. I have 2 of them and I'm very happy with them. I don't record music with it, but that's what it was basically made for. I think the last price I heard was something like $180. I use Audacity to edit the sound files.