Old 2aa led maglite, keep or sell?

geoffg

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these (3w)a while ago, don't actually know why, maybe a curiosity thing.
It is still in its packaging ready to ebay or open.
The point of this post is to ask, whether to keep or sell ?, how does this perform ?
I've looked around for the lumens rating of this light but cannot find it anywhere, but i would like a spot to flood as everything i have is fixed.
If it were less than 60 lumens then i will sell and put the cash toward a newer 80 lumens 2aa mag UNLESS you could recommend anything else with adjustable focus?

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sell it while it's still has a little value (not more than 10-15$). It has a Luxeon III, the newest leds are about double as bright. Or keep it as a glovebox light.

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these (3w)a while ago, don't actually know why, maybe a curiosity thing.
It is still in its packaging ready to ebay or open.
The point of this post is to ask, whether to keep or sell ?, how does this perform ?
I've looked around for the lumens rating of this light but cannot find it anywhere, but i would like a spot to flood as everything i have is fixed.
If it were less than 60 lumens then i will sell and put the cash toward a newer 80 lumens 2aa mag UNLESS you could recommend anything else with adjustable focus?

I thought I saw somewhere a LED conversion kit - perhaps NiteIZE(if thats how its spelled) or one of the other conversion kit makers.

shark_za

Enlightened
The OP is saying this is already one of the older AA LED versions.
The new multimode is a lot brighter but brightness isn't everything.

Keep it stocked with Lithiums for a standby in the car or garage. Mine is in my desk drawer at work. My old 2AA Mini mag has a cheap drop in and is used by my daughter. She has not been able to break it yet ;)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd simply keep it since you can't really sell it for all that much, the hassle of heading to the post office and handling all the packaging and paperwork may not make it worth your while.

Minimags make great loaner and beater lights, you'd be surprised at how much light 60 lumens is especially when its really dark. My old minimag is still around, its got the Nite Ize 3 led drop in and is perfect for navigating around, rummaging in tackle boxes etc when i dont want to spoil my night vision with 180 lumens in a blinding hotspot.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
It'd make a good loaner light. People get what they expect with a mag, e.g. most everyone whom I've let handle my Eagletac or Quark flashlights has tried to twist the head to make it come on. :rolleyes:

geoffg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the advice, there doesn't seem a lot of good to be said about this maglite, so it will end up on the bay.

I live in the uk and altho in the US the mags seem to go for approx $20 here in the UK they retail at the equiv to $60(!) so I should be able to get $30 towards a decent 2aa led (and when i seem to be suffering from the effects of the credit crunch for the last 2 months.....)

Thanks again
Geoff

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
If I am remembering correctly the older 2AA Maglite (not the D cell versions or anything) put out about 16 lumens. I believe somewhat similar to the low level on my Fenix L1T v2

By no means a monster output, but actually a good amount for most tasks - I used mine camping and it was great for lighting where I was going and general tasks.

Selling it probably won't get you much, there is a new model available in the shops and I can't see anyone paying too much for an older model. Despite the fact I much prefer my Fenix and retired the Maglite from use (mainly getting annoyed with the lack of low battery warning, at least with the Fenix it loses the high mode which gives you a warning and enough light to work by for a while) the Mag is a decent enough light to keep around as a spare for loaning out to others or as a backup in the car or toolkit.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not worth selling, the drop ins dont work in them. Just use it or give it away to a mechanic or something

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
For lights I don't want to actually use, I just leave them on the kitchen counter. My wife will see it and pick it up for a bedroom light and think she snagged something really cool. :laughing: