Need Help

Sgt440

Newly Enlightened
Hello to everyone. I'm new to the forum and have signed up to seek help in identifying a particular flashlight. Let me start by intorducing myself and telling you why I need assistance. My name is Mark Clark and I am a Detective Sergeant with the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Our agency is currently working the homicide of an elderly person who was beaten to death. The weapon left a distinct mark on the body in the shape of an octogon, or half an octogon to be exact due to the angle of the hits. We have just learned that the weapon used was probably a flashlight. I have seen flashlights that have an octogon shape on the bottom cap and this would match the size of the victims wounds. We are trying to get make and model numbers of flashlights that have this distinct feature on the bottom or anywhere on it. Any assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated. My direct email is [email protected].

Thank you

Marduke

Flashaholic
It might help narrow down the options with a bit more info (if you can provide it).

1) was it a regular octogon, with all sides being of equal length?
2) approximate size (diameter)
3) is the impression uniform depth, or are there additional indentations, which could indicate an 8-prong strike bezel

If there are any irregular features, a wax impression mold picture would aid iddentification.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can provide a drawing or some sort of image here or through a link we may be able to help.There is a decent chance someone may be able to connect the shape with a light.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Unfortunate as it sounds photo's, molds, exact measurements and the like would help out out quite a bit. The more you give us the more we can give you. This IS the place to find the right light.

There are literally hundreds of light models by dozens of makers that have this feature.
Matching a light to the wound won't be to hard but coming up with a make and model that will be a probable match is at the least a daunting task. Is there any paint or anno chips or aluminum slivers left in the wounds?

Start local and go shopping in all the brick and mortar stores you guys can think of. I'd say it's most likely to come from a local source and lean more toward inexpensive.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Some Inova flashlights (Radiant series) and some Pelican lights (Recoil series, for one) have octogonal bodies. Beyond that I can't think of any. You are probably looking for a high-impact polymer light, as it is far easier (and cheaper) to make metal flashlights round.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I state the obvious ? ..................

The business end of a tire tool / lug wrench is close to octogon shape .

You should tell us more about the size of the imprints .

You should get with Greta - the administrator of this site. I think she has a background in criminal investigation of this type .

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about what Carrot said about high impact plastic,aren't Pelican Sabrelite flashlights octagonal?

Last edited:

Sgt440

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. A tire tool wasn't the weapon used. I'll try to give a better description after I review the files again. The flashlight information is going to be pretty reliable that's why we are trying to get this information.

Thanks again,
Mark