Best non-aspheric throw light for under $100?

NWdude83

Newly Enlightened
Best as in distance btw. Would prefer 200 lumen or more, but could live with 150 lumens. Also dont want anything bulky.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Do you consider a large reflector diameter bulky?

That's what you need for a great thrower, a big fat deep reflector. SO how big a head are you willing to accept?

NWdude83

Newly Enlightened
The head cant be something like twice the diameter of the body etc.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
dereelight 3SD (R2) SMO plus solarforce L2 with 18650 battery around $80 total, around 200 lumens, good thrower, long runtime, 3 well placed modes of high med, and low.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh, it's really hard to get around the reflector size issue. Even with optics, an optic with a larger diameter will often have lower divergence. I have one light, it's an aleph, 1" diameter, it's got an aspheric lens in there, goes forever. It's a total freakshow, and also completely impractical. Although, it's fun at parties when you want to make finger puppets on clouds for all of the 5 minutes it runs in regulation. Also good for weirding out neighbors.

GotDogs

Newly Enlightened
A Taiblo A9 sounds like the " Thrower " you seek. Not a huge light, but it sure can throw. I just picked up a barely used one for 50.00. They are out there. I Love mine, Man o Man it throws. Goog Luck in your search!!

John lovecpf

elwood

Newly Enlightened
If you can find it, a used Jetbeam RRT-1 or RRT-2. New they can both be found for right over $100 ($100-$112).

Last edited:

spearfish

Newly Enlightened
im looking to buy an eagletac p20a2... meant to be the best AA thrower for around $60...

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the recoil light and it basically performs much like an aspherical, as in no flood at all. I find the Uniquefire HS-802 much better, beam divergence is far less than the recoil, build quality is better, great heatsinking, and there's a useable flood. Also it drives the R2 led at one amp making for a very bright >200 lumen light. Of course I modded mine to run direct drive at 1.6 amps and it runs just fine with the good heatsinking in the light.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the novatac lights are the best compromise between throw/size and beam quality. They are very well rounded. Top of the line UI as well.

chef4850

Enlightened
+1 for the jetbeam rrt-2 really a great light. I also have the recoil 007 light and I have been impressed with this light as well. I have several aspherical lights and they do have their place but the thing I like about the 007 light is the "projected" light it is "bigger" covers more area than the a9, DBS v3, etc. More useful for a light like this. Just my two cents. Chef

stallion2

Enlightened
Olight's M20 might not be a bad idea (assuming you opt to buy the optional smooth reflector), sounds like it could fit your requirments. i received mine this past spring and its by far the most versatile light i have. it's right about $100 (comes w/ OP reflector) and the 2nd reflector is $10. the smooth reflector casts a pretty sharp beam and loses little spill compared to the OP. i thought i would use the smooth reflector more than i have been but still don't regret getting it. for only $10 more it definitely seems worth it since it increases the light's capabilities. rated at 250lm but is more likely 225 or 230lm.