good cheap aa gift light

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
id like to give a few gift lights away. i've been finding deals for nice lights $30-40 bucks but im gonna reserve them for "better" friends. what do you guys think of this light linked below. reminds me of "simply cree" on dx a while back. my requirements are single aa battery, semi reliable, and cheap as a baby chicken.

http://www.lighthound.com/Chinese-Cree-LED-AA-powered-aluminum-body-flashlight_p_3303.html

p.s. how do people put big links like this while simply saying "here"?

Marduke

Flashaholic
To hyperlink, you highlight some text, press the hyperlink button above (looks like world), and paste the link like this.

BTW, click that link for a cheap gift light :grin2:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now, I think the ITP A3 EOS is probably the best gift light for non-flashaholics.

The Photon freedom micro is an awesome little light, but non-flashaholics would think it was a $2 light, so it makes a poor gift.

If you're looking for something < $15, stick with the maglite solitaire, AAA mini, or AA mini and then next xmas/bithday, give them an LED upgrade for it...

--flatline

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean like "here is one I have on its little way, and I'll let you know how good it it when it arrives"? Select the word "here" and click on the little icon of a planet with three links of a chain in front of it, just to the right of the Colors menu. Paste your link and hit OK.

Edit: Hm, I must type really slow.

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Where is this little icon of a planet with three links of chain in front of it? Colors menu? I've been trying to figure out how to hyperlink for a while now but I can't figure it out.

Maybe it's different for Mac users.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It looks like this

link%20icon.png

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
that first link looks good. thanks marduke. anyone know if that one is pretty reliable? hows the runtime to 50%ish?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Mac. Do you see the box where you type your posts? It has icons along the top. Its filename is even "createlink.gif".

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd just like to share my experiences with the Ultrafire C3 lottery, ordered one from this eBay store called hkequipment back in 2007, worked great, still works great today according to my dad who has it now.

I then ordered another C3 off a very popular site, that one had issues, flickering and all and i am no modder or even tech inclined to be able to fix it with thermal paste, soldering etc, for me, i put the cells in, click it on and it either works or it doesnt.

Took another chance on the SS C3s, ordered 2, one works well (so far) the other died after a fall off my computer table. Maybe a modder can fix it but i surely can't so it's sitting in my drawer till the day i decide to try to learn how to mod stuff.

Have recently taken another chance and ordered this light and if you order 10, it works out to $12 plus per light. It looks like a really simple light, i'm ordering 2 to compare them and probably give one or maybe even both away.

Last edited:

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
If you're not afraid to take a dive and try out DX (especially if you order in large volumes, chances are 9 out of 10 will work), then there are plenty of lights available in the low $10s that will work, anything from ultrafire or romisen or tank007 (i've had good experience with them) is good in my book.

If not, I would like to suggest this

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found with all my C3's the biggest problem is that the outer ring on the driver board stops making contact with the metal body. Even if you put solder on it metal creep causes it to eventually lose contact. What it needs is a spring, I made one out of stainless steel wire to put between the head and body and this seems to solve it on several of my flickering C3's.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found with all my C3's the biggest problem is that the outer ring on the driver board stops making contact with the metal body. Even if you put solder on it metal creep causes it to eventually lose contact. What it needs is a spring, I made one out of stainless steel wire to put between the head and body and this seems to solve it on several of my flickering C3's.

that sounds interesting, could you PM me a pic of the fix? stainless steel wire seems to be simple enuf that a mod doofus like me should be able to handle it

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I'm surprised no ones mentioned the Romisen RC-G2 yet. I dont personally own one, but in EVERY cheap 1AA thread it almost always gets mentioned by several members... link here...

RC-G2-Q5

Oops looks like it was already suggested in post #13

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
For few bucks more you could get this one in Stainless steel and brighter with Q5 emitter. For someone who isnt into flashlights, a great gift.

I got mine and ordered few more to give away.

I bought one of these, mostly because I didn't have a stainless light and I figured, how can you go too wrong for $15? It is actually nicer than I expected, it appears to be pretty well built (especially for a light from DX) and it looks like it cost a lot more than it actually did. As long as the person getting it has never had a Quark, or Fenix, or equivelent, they won't know the difference...even has a GID o-ring under the lens. Durability is a whole other issue, but it is definitely impressive looking and has a "quality" feel to it.

I doubt I will ever actually carry this light, but it looks cool sitting on my computer desk, at the ready for those times when I drop something... :whistle:

Last edited: