Fix pea-green luxeon color?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

orfon

Has anyone with an awful pea-green luxeon tried using some sort of filter to color-compensate for it? It occurred to me that the pea-green tint of some of the off-color luxeons is very similar to the greenish tint that can show up in photographs taken under fluorescent light. I don't have a flourescent or CC10M photography filter, but I tried shining one of my green-tinted luxeons through my skylight filter, which is just barely magenta to the naked eye, and it seemed to me that there was significant color improvement even with that.

Photography filters are going to be too large and expensive to use with the LS, but if you are looking for the same effect on the cheap, you may be able to do it if you have access to an inkjet printer and color transparencies. I don't, but experiments with a magenta highlighter and a transparency suggested that if you could get a light enough pink (I wasn't quite able to), you might be able to color-correct for the green corona and get a nice white.

You will of course, reduce overall lumens. Anyway, color compensation seemed like an alternative to throwing away the all the green luxeons. Just a thought.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're really determined you can swap out the LED. Or just sell the light on BST and buy another one that's more to your liking. Otherwise I'd say don't worry about it.

rodmeister

Enlightened
I have a LS1 factory second with a greenish beam. I played around with my plastic CP (color printing) filters awhile back. I think it took about a .15 density correction of magenta. It works but cuts out about 15% of the light, so I just live with the green.

If ARC had a batch of Luxeons that were greenish AND slightly brighter than average, they could use a tinted lens on the ARC that would yield a whiter beam at normal brightness.

rodmeister

Enlightened
More

I dug out my CP filters and rechecked my bright but greenish LS1 factory second. The beam looked best with .05 magenta and .05 cyan filters combined, which I believe (it's been 25 years since I've printed color) is equivalent to .10 blue, which cuts out about 10% of the light. Assuming my LS put out 20 lumens, it would be reduced to 18 lumens. CP filters are impractical since it takes two filters, but one could have a glass .10 blue filter custom cut and fitted - though it probably isn't worth the effort, money or loss of light. Interesting topic though.

Another thought. Someone might make a dye that could penetrate and tint the plastic lens, in situ - that would be the cheapest and not affect the lens quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.