Can I charge Eneloops with my Panasonic charger?

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to buy some Eneloop batteries and I'm wondering if I should get a new charger or if the charger I already have will do the trick.

It's a 4 slot Panasonic Ni-MH charger that I got with a set of 2100 mAh Panasonic Ni-MH batteries a few years ago. The model number is BQ-345A and the back says it has a DC 2.8v 320mA/140mAx2 output.

If that won't work, how are the chargers that come in the Eneloop packages like this one?

BTW, I'd really like to buy them from Amazon as I have a $15 coupon. If someone knows of a place with lower prices, I'm all ears, though.

Thanks!

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any NIHM charger will work, I personally use a Rayovac charger has the Eneloop branded one takes ages to charge the batts...

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
a timed "slow" charger once called "quick" or "Fast" works in series with a low voltage max.
times out in 6 hours, would be fine for topping off, will not fully charge from fully discharged on a single timed run.

the ONLY issue with that would be you want all the cells fully charged so the capacity is exactally the same, so you would prefer that it time out in more like say 9 hours.

it'll work fine, there exists better. this charger was sorta made when capacities were not extreemly high (1600-1900), so it could be said that it now times out sooner than a full charge for higher capacity batteries.. the rate and the voltage peak should keep it from doing any damage. More info seems it was sold with 1920ma and 1950ma panasonics.

if i was using that, i would use it to top off partly discharged cells, meaning general use to 1/2 -3/4 discharge runtime, it would work everytime.

When i FULLY discharged the cells, and say some were reading very low, i would run it for 2-3 hours manually timed (beep Beep) , then "restart" it to cause a full cycle. that way i would get all the batts fully topped off/balanced, so on the next discharge they would all be similar.

Last edited:

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
If I understand correctly the Panasonic charger that I have should get the job done but not very well?

Would the charger included in the Eneloop kit be better?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I understand correctly the Panasonic charger that I have should get the job done but not very well?

Would the charger included in the Eneloop kit be better?

well the enloop is for enloops, but I myself dont concider either of them a perfect charge unit, but they will sufficentally work for enloops as they are robust capable cells . Enloops are warrentied if used with the enloop charger.
other than that, i dont know the eneloop charger, as i would almost Never get a charger battery kit thing , a consumer package , that usually is a cheap as can be charger .
without being to mean, most chargers combined with battery sets for consumers are flawed somewhere, if it isnt the charger its the battery :) but they sell really well, and make vast profits.

if you have to much money check out the high end MAHA chargers, or get a nice 700ma and UP v-drop terminating charger, or a 250ma slow charger that times out in 12 or 9hours not 6, what you have will work fine 80% of the time.

Last edited:

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so it sounds like I'll skip the Eneloop package with the charger. Thanks a bunch for the advice!

I don't want to spend a lot on a charger so I did some poking around and came up with these two.

LaCrosse BC-700 for $30 shipped (I saw the BC-9009 for $10 with batteries but I read the included batteries aren't great so I'd rather spend the $10 on a set of Eneloops, I think)

Powerex MH-C204FA for $27 shipped

Any thoughts on which is the better unit? I don't need bells and whistles. I just want something to charge batteries to their fullest. I plan on using AA batteries in pairs for my new flashlight, a digital camera, and my wireless mouse and keyboard.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find an eneloop package with the MQN05 charger, this charger is very nice. The MQN05 is recognizable by having a white plastic slide up/slide down cover. Unfortunately I think most eneloop packages these days come with the MQN06 charger (you can tell it apart because it has no cover), but the MQN06 only charges batteries in pairs and is not as good.

For a recommended every day charger, you could look to the Duracell Mobile Charger rather than the two you picked.

The MH-C204FA is not perfect as it charges batteries in pairs (same problem as your Panasonic charger). I also hesitate to recommend the BC-700 as an everyday charger, although many others will disagree with me. I think there is evidence that the BC-700/BC-900 can damage batteries through overcharging or overheating.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
For a recommended every day charger, you could look to the Duracell Mobile Charger rather than the two you picked.

Is there a particular model that's better than the other? It looks like there are a few different ones out there and the Mobile Charger is being replaced by a 1 hour GoMobile charger?

The MH-C204FA is not perfect as it charges batteries in pairs (same problem as your Panasonic charger). I also hesitate to recommend the BC-700 as an everyday charger, although many others will disagree with me. I think there is evidence that the BC-700/BC-900 can damage batteries through overcharging or overheating.

If I only use batteries in pairs, is charging them in pairs a problem? I don't have a need to charge a single cell at a time.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean this model of Mobile Charger specifically:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2930896&CAWELAID=155322665

That's the original one, not the new 1 hour one (as in many cases, new is worse than old).

Charging batteries in pairs is bad because each battery is a unique snowflake. Two batteries in a pair will never be exactly the same and will never be exactly balanced. If you charge in pairs, one battery will tend to get weaker over time and the performance of the pair will tend to be limited by the weaker battery. Charging batteries individually helps to keep them more balanced.

However, charging in pairs is less of a problem at lower charge rates. Therefore if you were going to do that you could use your existing Panasonic charger which charges in pairs at a low rate and therefore should do no worse than other pair chargers you are contemplating.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I'll see if I can find the Duracell Mobile Charger. I'm leary of buying it online in case they send me the new GoMobile one instead. But I'll check out some local stores...I think I remember seeing that kit (with the black-top batteries) at Target last weekend when I was looking for Eneloops.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or look in Toys-R-Us per my link.

It is remarkably difficult to find a good, simple NiMH charger to recommend, in spite of the number of choices out there.

Another option to look at is the Maha C401FS. But you would have to get that on-line, it will be hard to locate in B&M stores.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
Or look in Toys-R-Us per my link.

I'll do that if I can't find one locally. I would hate to order something that's being switched to a new model and get the new one instead of the one I really want (it's happened to me before).

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll do that if I can't find one locally. I would hate to order something that's being switched to a new model and get the new one instead of the one I really want (it's happened to me before).
Right. I mean physically look in a Toys-R-Us shop, assuming there is one near you.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
Right. I mean physically look in a Toys-R-Us shop, assuming there is one near you.

Unfortunately, there isn't. But I do have a bunch of other places that will likely have it. Target, Walmart, Fry's, Best Buy, CVS just to name some...