Want to buy a flashlight (AA?) for a B'day present (need ~$50-$75 suggestions)

broadwayblue

Newly Enlightened
I thought an LED flashlight would make a nice gift for my cousin. I'm thinking an AA model would make the most sense as those cells are the easiest to find around the house or to grab from the store. I will also give him a charger and a couple Li Ion batteries to get started with. Basically I'm looking for something that can be used for various purposes. He's not a hunter or a cop and doesn't really have any special needs. But I'd like it to look nice and be of quality build. The $50 to $75 price range is just a guide...if there's a sweet light for $40 or $90 that I should consider I'm open to that too. What would you flashaholics suggest?

I myself being pretty new to the world of LED lights (having only last year purchased my first, a LiteFlux LF2) might consider buying two. I'm getting the urge for something a bit more powerful. ;)

Marduke

Flashaholic
I thought an LED flashlight would make a nice gift for my cousin. I'm thinking an AA model would make the most sense as those cells are the easiest to find around the house or to grab from the store. I will also give him a charger and a couple Li Ion batteries to get started with. Basically I'm looking for something that can be used for various purposes. He's not a hunter or a cop and doesn't really have any special needs. But I'd like it to look nice and be of quality build. The $50 to $75 price range is just a guide...if there's a sweet light for $40 or $90 that I should consider I'm open to that too. What would you flashaholics suggest?

I myself being pretty new to the world of LED lights (having only last year purchased my first, a LiteFlux LF2) might consider buying two. I'm getting the urge for something a bit more powerful. ;)

Li-Ions + non-flashaholic = horrible idea

Unless he is willing to learn the do's and don'ts and take the time to properly monitor and care for them, it's an accident waiting to happen.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on that idea. I'd humbly suggest that you get him a 2xAA light, 4 pack of eneloops and a charger, that would be a nice starter kit. For a more budget starter kit, i'd strongly recommend a Romisen RC N3 II Q5, 2xAA, 2 mode light that can also be configured to run in 1xCR123/RCR123 for better pocketability (but you lose the 2 modes).

Another idea is the Romisen RC N3 warm white, specs as above except that it's only got 1 mode. I own both and really like the warm white and wish it had 2 modes (you hearin this Bryan?? :D )

If you want to spend a bit more, Nitecore D20, Jetbeam Jet I Pro EX, Fenix TK20, Quark AA2 all come to mind.

If it's single AAs you're thinking of getting him, choices abound, Romisen RC G2, Akoray K106 (programmable or 5 mode, i own the programmable), Jetbeam's Jet I Pro v3.0, Nitecore D10 R2, Quark AA, Fenix LD10 all spring to mind, as well the Liteflux AA model. So many choices.

For a single AA light, i'd really lean towards the D10, simple interface, tough as nails, think its below $70 on 4sevens (havent factored in the discount code "CPF8") but that would be my personal preference as i dont own one yet :D though i do own the Akoray, Jetbeam, LED Lenser P5 for my 1xAA lights.

EDIT: i'd try to stay away from alkalines, they can leak and ruin a light, ruined one before, never again, any light of mine that has alkalines in it (usually my AAA lights) gets checked once a week or no longer than once every 2 weeks for signs of corrosion and potential leakage.

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Skip the fancy shmancy Li-ion batteries and get him a 4Sevens Quark AA (with blue boots!!!) or an EdgeTac Nitecore D10 (maybe a special edition color scheme from the 4Sevens website). Both have a proven track record, and everyone who owns either of these lights is proud to own them, very high quality.

EDIT: Good call on the JetBeam, Hyperloop! Excellent light, sapphire lens!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You might look at the all-stainless steel JetBeam Element; 1xAA, simple high/low bezel interface for the non-flashaholic, and it even comes in a gift box..

fiorano

Newly Enlightened
For a very practical and useful (but not super sexy) lighting gift consider:

$50 budget -
Romisen RC-N3 II Q5 2xAA
Sanyo Eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Batteries w/ Charger

$80 budget -
Above items plus
ITP A3 EOS Upgrade AAA
Sanyo Eneloop 4 Pack AAA NiMH Batteries

You can get both lights from shiningbeam.com (btw, use discount code CPFUser).
If you are a Costco member they frequently have special prices on Eneloop Power Packs which include a bunch of different batteries as well as a charger.

The combo of the RC-N3 II, the ITP EOS and the Eneloops takes care of almost all mobile lighting needs for non-flashoholics.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
why would you give a flashlight to a non-flashaholic? i dont think he will appreciate the quality nor the notion of having a bright flashlight. Expensive or not it look the same to him.

I gave a nice flashlight to my brother-in-law, he look delighted at first but i never see that flaslight anywhere near him until now, god knows where it is now and i don't want to ask him.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
KISS - keep it simple stupid.

General use simple 1 or 2 mode. 2AA is easier to hold but not pocketable:
Fenix E20 or L2T v2.0.

EDC 1AA. Smallest possible for pocket-ability:
Nitecore EZAAw.

Keychain 1AAA. PUT THE LIGHT ON YOUR COUSIN'S KEYCHAIN YOURSELF or it will end up in a drawer not available when needed:
E01 or LD01.

Note none of these lights have barf inducing blinky modes.

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, for non-flashaholics, I'd recommend a simple user interface. My family always has trouble remembering how to switch the modes on my Fenix P2D/P3Ds, and are often confused by the CR123s as well. They're all pretty technical, but just don't care about flashlights like I do.

I just got a couple of Fenix TK20s for the emergency car kits, because they're simple and efficient. These are replacing Maglites, and they got used maybe once or twice a year. I label them with how to switch modes, just as a reminder. I also put lithium batteries in them, both for the shelf life and the lower likelyhood of leaking.

TK20's too big and heavy for EDC, but is really sturdy and quite bright for a simple 2xAA light, and it'll work as a tac light too. It would be nice to have a dimmer mode like the L2D's low setting for extended runtime, but that gets back into the tricky user interface.

bansuri

Enlightened
Jetbeam Jet-I PRO V3.0 @ $62.99 SHIPPED

No batteries or charger set, but its an AA light. I'm sure almost every home has AA batteries.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=je...1205&_ipg=&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

I almost bought that but after checking the GreenLED CPF Discount page I found that I can buy it from Bugoutgear and choose my tint and reflector for a dollar more. Including shipping. Just enter the appropriate discount code at checkout.
Thanks for the motivation though Berry580, been looking at these for a while.
And with that, my light buying for 2009 is done. probably.

Tuikku

Enlightened
How about flashlight gift for a child? Suggestions?

I didn´t want to start another topic, so I´m asking almost the same thing here...

What kind of light would you recommend as a gift for children?
I have some relatives who have kids in ages around 6 - 13yrs.

Obviously it is a benefit, if it is easy to use. Relatively cheap light is mayde better choice for younger kids since they may brake, forget or wet them etc...
Younger kids - any "fancy-looking" lights for kids?

Ideas, please :grin2:

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
Re the OP's question:

how about a Zebralight SC50 - 1AA? 3 main modes, each has a sub if you choose to use it. Simple interface with electronic clicky. Very compact for an AA.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think for kids who may not fully appreciate a fine tool/toy I'd keep the price down. Maybe something like a Fenix E01 for younger ones, and a ITP or Maratac for older kids.

Geoff

Tuikku

Enlightened
I think for kids who may not fully appreciate a fine tool/toy I'd keep the price down. Maybe something like a Fenix E01 for younger ones, and a ITP or Maratac for older kids.

Geoff

My 2 year old boy enjoys in dissassembling and assemling an old incan light - under surveillance, of course... :)

I think for kids it is not a good idea to give lights with Li-Ion as gift, too risky.

Maratac & iTP sound pretty good.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Kids will end up blinding themselves or others with anything other than a 5mm light; the Gerber Recon is a perennial gift-for-kids favorite, with low output and selectable color filters.

Tuikku

Enlightened
That looks excellent with those beam color options! :twothumbs

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a "nice gift" in AA format for a non-flashaholic, consider a Peak El Capitan. Very simple, twisty function. High quality build with great performance from any battery chemistry. And beautiful, either in Brass, or in HA with SS head and momentary switch:

P1010619.jpg