Nitecore EZ CR2 Question

HarveyRich

Enlightened
What experience has anyone had with this new light? It is advertised as taking CR2 3.0V battery. Can it take an RCR 3.7 V battery as well even though not advertised as such--even for a short time on high?

I'm waiting for a Lummi Raw with R2 led, which has a mode for 20 lumens supposedly for 10 hrs or 200 lumens for 25 mins. The battery in that light is a 3.7 v 14250 li-ion type, which is difficult to find, though. So, the Raw seems to run brighter, but for half the time of the Nitecore EZ CR2.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I have all the EZ series Nitecore lights:

oku1sg.jpg

EZ CR2 is often in my pocket thanks to its really compact size. I feed it with a non-protected UltraFire TR15270 3.0V li-ion battery and never had a problem.
I have a number of these cells because I use them also in the other CR2 lights I own, SF Titan and LiteFlux LF4. It is true that non-protected li-ion cells should be avoided but it is normally enough to charge them regularly. Apparently protected RCR2 used to be available in the past but you can't find them any longer.

EZ CR2 is significantly bright for the size and it really fits everywhere, IMO it is worth while getting it. :cool:

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Originally Posted by Kilovolt
EZ CR2 is often in my pocket thanks to its really compact size. I feed it with a non-protected UltraFire TR15270 3.0V li-ion battery and never had a problem.
I have a number of these cells because I use them also in the other CR2 lights I own, SF Titan and LiteFlux LF4.
Understood. But can one use 3.7 V li-ion batteries in it or will it go :poof:? Also, why should I get one compared to the Lummi Raw which is only 43 mm long (v. 63 mm on the EZ CR2)? I understand that The EZ goes much longer on high (55 min v 25 min), but if my primary use is as an short term EDC, I can get 200 lumens from the Raw v only 130 from the EZ CR2 and the Raw is smaller.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The situation as to 3.7V cells in this light is not totally clear, however this is what you find in 4sevens' website:

'Do not use batteries that exceed 3 volts, as they may permanently damage the flashlight.'

As far as I am concerned it is my habit to follow the supplier's indications.... ;)

As to why you should get a Nitecore EZ CR2 or a Lummi Raw it is in my view simply a matter of personal taste. :)