Garrity K009 upgrade/add-on advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

javajoe

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member here and this is my first post. I have had a garrity K009 for about a year and a half now and have absolutely loved it. There does not seem to be much of a following for this light on this forum (picture below for refrence). For those un-familiar, it is a 3 AAA single led flashlight with a fish-eye type lens that is used to create a pretty focused beam with very little spill. Garrity rates it's battery life at 220 hours and I'm sure that I have far exceed that on my original set of batteries (the Duracell's provided in the original pack). I'm still on the original batteries and the light seems as bright as the day I got it.

I also have one of the 9-LED AAA lights from Amazon which has been fairly disappointing for me. For one, it's build quality is nowhere near the same level as my Garrity. In addition, it's light output is basically un-useable. It's just a wide flood that goes maybe 7-10 feet. But for $4 I don't have any buyers remorse as it helped me get my order to $25 bucks to qualify for free shipping. About a week ago I pulled the trigger on the 2 pack of dorcy single AAA lights some of you may have seen on WOOT. After that purchase I was trying to find some information about them and that's how I came across this site. I've spent the last week reading many threads about many lights and am considering adding a new light to my collection.

It seems that it helps when people post their intended uses/price range so here goes: I use my Garrity every day for at least 5-10 minutes when we walk our dog at night. In addition I take it on camping trips (1-2 a year) and use it for any around the house needs and when working on my truck. When I bought the Garrity it was $17 and included batteries. Deal extreme has many flashlights that fall below this price so I'm mainly considering the budget offerings. At this time I am not ready to buy a pair of li-on batteries and charger because it seems that them alone would use almost if not all of my budget. I recognize that li-on batteries make much lights have brighter output but may just have to be convinced into going that route.

I really like the price and appearance of the Romisen MXDL RC-G2. It seems to be well regarded as a good entry-level budget single AA unit. Specifically I think the glow in the dark o-rings and clicky are cool features. It's difficult to find exact output or runtime info online so maybe someone can fill me in for this.

A second light I would consider is the Nkoray K-106. I like that it has a more updated/powerful LED and has the ability to run an AA or a 14500. I also like it's multiple brightness modes. What I don't like as much is the design. I know it sounds superficial, but it just won't look as cool hanging from my key hooks next to the front door. But--it would allow for me to upgrade to li-on in the future if I become ready to commit.

So what do you guys think? Anyone have suggestions for adding on to my current line-up? Pros/cons of the options I've mentioned?
thanks in advance.

K009G_black_.jpg

Last edited:

javajoe

Newly Enlightened
I've also considered some of the ultrafire lights (like the C3) but it seems that the company has qualtiy issues. Or maybe either the Romisen RC-G2 Cree Q5 or RC-N3 CREE Q5 from shiningbeam?

Last edited:

javajoe

Newly Enlightened
If it helps, here is this forum's checklist filled out by me:

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

I intend to use this light to walk our dog, 1 or 2 camping trips a year, chores around the house, working on my truck, looking pretty hanging on the wall next to my keys/front door, and showing off it's brightness to friends/family from time to time.

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I can spend $15-30. BUT am flexable depending on what I learn here on CPF

2) Format:

I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

4) Width:

I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

I'm unsure at this point

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want something that can be used discretly for waliking the dog but can be bright enough to impress frineds

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

if possible I would prefer an adjustable beam. This may be just a newbie desire but I am always being given a hard time from my wife for the extremely focused beam on my garrity.

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

I guess the answer to this question depends on wether or not I go for rechargeables. If alkaline, I want long runtime, if rechargeable, i'd like over an hour minimum.

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.) at least as durable as my garrity

8) Switch Type:

I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.) but can flex in this category

9) Switch Location:

I prefer it on the tail but am flexable here

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

1 mode is acceptable, but high/low is more attractive

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

N/A

dirtech

Enlightened
My experience with Garrity is that they are not that durable (clicky crapped out pretty quick on mine), so if you want one with equal durability get a cheap DX light that uses three AAA to fill the short and fat requirement. A focusable light like you want, but only one mode is the P7 led lenser that uses 4 AAA. At $89 might be too much $$$.

Try this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18697

There is a review around here somewhere on this light I believe and the price is prolly more to your liking.

Searth dealextreme for AAA flashlights. There is a whole slew of them some of them focusable and multimode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts