HDD Media Players

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those Argosy players are interesting. I, unfortunately, still need an optical drive. (Someday I'll rid myself of DVD-R's).

I've been using a hacked Xbox as a media client for about four years. My original died on me last month. I did a little searching, but couldn't find a new player that fit all of my needs, so I tracked down another modded Xbox instead.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those Argosy players are interesting. I, unfortunately, still need an optical drive. (Someday I'll rid myself of DVD-R's).

I've been using a hacked Xbox as a media client for about four years. My original died on me last month. I did a little searching, but couldn't find a new player that fit all of my needs, so I tracked down another modded Xbox instead.

They actually have HDD media players with DVD drives, here is one example:
INOi HV670

I found some others, but I forgot to bookmark them :thinking:

Oh: Here is another:
Kiss 1600

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Kiss 1600 looked promising, but, IIRC, it was superseded by a new model that only works as a Media Center Extender.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. I need to keep that one in mind if this new Xbox doesn't work out.

I keep all my media - audio (mostly .mp3's) and video (.avi, .mpg, .mov, etc) - on a server upstairs, and use the Xbox as the networked interface/player attached to the A/V system downstairs. I haven't set up a large enough storage system for all of my media yet, so I still archive some to DVD-R. Hence the need for the optical drive in the player. I hope to solve the storage problem before I need to upgrade or replace the player again. But a nice compact unit with an optical drive - like that iTab - would be nice.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the external DVD-ROM support. Now, if they'd just add external BluRay support...