Fenix LD10+ & Quark AA -- Own both? Opinion sought!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

Well after a year I am still on the hunt for my perfect AA light (Went through an entire host of Nightcores and they just werent for me). I was all set to go for the Quark AA but, noticed that Fenix has the LD10+ model now out that seems to close the gap between the two a bit (pocket clip, updated cree, square threads, better knurling etc.).

So are there any of you out there who OWN BOTH the Quark AA (or ^2) and and updated Fenix LD10+ (or LD20+) and can provide some insight between the two?

At this point are there any major differences other than the output levels/spacing, UI and importance of a warm emitter?

Please dont turn this into a fanboy fest, looking for constructive and meaningful observations from those of you who own both lights.

And since I'm currently looking for a new job, the "get both" suggestion is not in the cards right now.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, Quark AA OWNS the LD10+(plus or not) in every way, except L1D/LD10's class leading output/runtime efficiency at high level. Other than that, Quark AA has a similar max with LD10 (when w/ li-ion, otherwise Quark AA also wins), BUT has:
- a lower low (. ' . phenomenal runtime)
- XP-E R2 (most of Fenix lights are XR-E Q5 or maybe R2 if you're !@#$ing lucky)
- fully supports li-ions (Fenix's whole LXD/LDX0 range loses lower modes with li-ions)
- better built quality (square threads)
- reversable clip (Fenix JUST managed to include a clip)
yet their prices are pretty much the same.

Landslide victory for Quark (AA). Does Fenix even belong in this universe anymore? =P

Last edited:

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Okay, my I only have the LD10 (not the LD10+) and the Quark tactical AA, not regular, but I'm still going to comment on this. I think the Quark series has a pretty clear victory here. Here's a couple thoughts

-Pocket clip: Sure the LD10+ adds a pocket clip, but it's clear from photos that it is not nearly as strong as the Quark clip. The Quark pocket clip is unstoppable and you can actually trust it to hold the light in place. The LD10+ clip is more of a pen-style pocket clip, whereas the Quark clip is more like you would see on a nice folding knife or something - thick and durable

-Quark's 14500 support is a big bonus if you use them! very nice brightness increase

-All the other stuff berry580 already mentioned

Like I said, nothing wrong with the LD10, it's great, but I can't think of any major area where it has an advantage.

kts

Enlightened
IMO, Quark AA OWNS the LD10+(plus or not) in every way, except L1D/LD10's class leading output/runtime efficiency at high level. Other than that, Quark AA has a similar max with LD10 (when w/ li-ion, otherwise Quark AA also wins), BUT has:
- a lower low (. ' . phenomenal runtime)
- XP-E R2 (most of Fenix lights are XR-E Q5 or maybe R2 if you're !@#$ing lucky)
- fully supports li-ions (Fenix's whole LXD/LDX0 range loses lower modes with li-ions)
- better built quality (square threads)
- reversable clip (Fenix JUST managed to include a clip)
yet their prices are pretty much the same.

Landslide victory for Quark (AA). Does Fenix even belong in this universe anymore? =P

According to this https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233925 the LD10 should be brighter, but I could be wrong...

And the new LD10 have square threads too, but I dont think they have made it to the dealers yet.

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Interested in these 2 lights for a EDC.

But looking at the Quark aa Tactical, R5 edition and the Fenix LD10+ R4. Which should I get and why?

Thanks.

asiandunn30

Newly Enlightened
I have both LD10+ R4 and Quark AA TActical R5 cool. The LD10 has a tighter hot spot, a brighter max, and a nice ring free beam. The clip and the holster is a step below quark.Its a good light if your only using eneloop. THe quark aa can use LI-ION, perfectly spaced modes, good clip and a nice floody hot spot.I just wish the Max on the aa quark was brighter using eneloop batteries.

LD10+ turbo 132 lumens = 55min runtime on eneloop (The difference in lumens is noticeable)

LD10+ high 105 lumens = 2hr runtime on eneloop (Great runtime)

Quark AA Max 109 lumesn = 1hr 55min runtime on eneloop ( Brighter would be better)

Quark AA High 85 lumens = 2hr runtime on eneloop (You cant distinguish from 109 lumens)

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix LD10+ R4 was my first real flashlight. It was great. I liked how the pocket clip buried the light relatively deep in my pocket. And although some would disagree, I actually liked that it didn't take much pressure on the tailcap to switch between the modes. I also find the light much more attractive-looking than the Quark AA.

But to make a long story short, after pocketing the Quark for a few days, I rarely go back to the Fenix LD10 anymore. I didn't understand the 0.2 lumen moonlight mode until I really started using it. And that is where the Quark has a massive advantage over the Fenix. That low-low mode is just extremely useful, and is probably the most used mode for me. Great for maneuvering indoors at night without killing your night vision. Also great for searching through your bag at night. And if I need a bit more light, I'll just do a few half clicks to the proper level.

As for the Quark Tactical (I've got a Ti one), I don't really like it as much as the regular. I have the modes set to moonlight/max. But I like the convenience of having something inbetween the two modes, accessible with one hand. The regular does that perfectly for me.

I've also got the AA^2 and LD20+ R4. I find both to be too large for EDC, but both are great lights for a backpack or maxpedition versipack.

Overall, I'd rec the Quark AA Regular to anyone looking for an AA light. Great low, good high. Very usable light.

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. How about batteries? Should I just you eneloop rechargeables? Or alkaline?

Don't want the acid issue though.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own them both and I would suggest the Quark AA tactical. The option to use 14500 is just to much to resist and the Fenix does not support it. I suggested the tactical model because I do not like all the modes I have to skip through to get to the ones I want, I use medium and high most of the time so I just program the tactical to this and leave it be.

Now if you want to use AA primary or NiMh only and you do not want a programmable light I would suggest the Fenix just because I like the modes better, they have fewer modes so it's easier to get to the couple that I actually use.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
20100730211288.jpg

Quark AA R5 regular (left), Fenix LD10 R4 (right), the same as above.
- Quark AA : Head dia.(21.5mm) x Length(95mm) x Weight without battery(46g)
- Fenix LD10 : Head dia.(21mm) x Length(99.5mm) x Weight without battery(52g)

20100730212489.jpg

- Quark AA : LED(Cree XP-G R5), Reflector(OP)
- Fenix LD10 : LED(Cree XP-G R4), Reflector(SMO)

20100730211236.jpg

- Quark AA : Buck & Boost circuit (one-AA sized alkarine or AA sized NiMH rechargeable battery, 3.7V-14500 Li-ion rechargeable battery)
- Fenix LD10 : Boost circuit (one-AA sized alkarine or AA sized NiMH rechargeable battery)
Both have reverse polarity protection function.

20100730214785.jpg

- Quark AA : The removable clip and head are in contact strongly and feel inconvience when tightening & loosening bezel. The removal of the clip doesn't prevent it from rolling.
- Fenix LD10 : No contact between clip and head. The removal of the clip prevent it from rolling bacause of head shape.

20100730214791.jpg

The above shows square threads, the head side of the battery tube.
- Quark AA : Loosening & tightening head is too stiff because the head catches the large & thick o-ring strongly. (refer to the following picture.)
- Fenix LD10 : Easy to loose & tight the head.

20100730215642.jpg

- Quark AA : External dia. of the o-ring (18.05mm)
- Fenix LD10 : External dia. of the o-ring (17.05mm)

20100730221654.jpg

The above shows square threads, the tailcap side of the battery tube.
- Quark AA : Loosening & tightening tailcap is too stiff because the tailcap catches the large & thick o-ring strongly. Sometimes o-ring sticks out from its right position in case of tightening the tailcap or the head.
- Fenix LD10 : Easy to loose & tight the tailcap.

20100730221687.jpg

The above shows [Quark AA's head + Fenix LD10's tube & tailcap.]
Those fit together very well without error, nevertheless you have seen that Quark AA's o-ring is bigger than Fenix LD10 .

20100730233424.jpg

The above shows the head side of the battery tube.
- Quark AA : Tapered shape near by screw threads
- Fenix LD10 : Same thickness

20100730233448.jpg

The above shows the tailcap side of the battery tube.
- Quark AA : Tapered shape near by screw threads
- Fenix LD10 : Same thickness

20100801113157.jpg

ISO 800, 1/400 Sec, F3.2
For brightness, Fenix LD10 is brighter than quark AA using AA sized battery on the both lights.

20100801113113.jpg

ISO 800, 1/400 Sec, F3.2
Quark AA powered by 3.7V 14500 Li-ion is brighter than Fenix LD10 with 1.5V alkarine.

You can see http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_ld10_r4/ for your reference and http://www.light-reviews.com/4sevens_quarkaa/ as well. The latter is for XP-E version only.

Last edited:

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. How about batteries? Should I just you eneloop rechargeables? Or alkaline?

Don't want the acid issue though.

I'm not a battery expert, but I have had eneloops since they first came to market, for use in other devices. (Back then, spending anything over $15 on a flashlight seemed ridiculous to me.) And I still think Eneloops are great batteries. I use them in my AA lights most of the time. But since I don't use them for more than a few min a day at most, I find that I barely need to replace batteries, so regular alkalines work fine for me too, and I've got a few of those good Energizer Lithium AA primaries that people say are excellent. Haven't tried them though. But I can say that they are considerably lighter, which is a plus.

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I own both. It has not been mention yet so I will chime in. The LD10 will die very quickly at the end of battery life at about 0.9V. It will start to dim and then just go out. The Quark AA will keep dimming and drain the battery well below 0.9V.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flipping great bunch you lot are:ohgeez:I had my heart set on the LD10 + but now not so sure,need to rethink this out again.:thumbsup:

At the moment you get a free pack of bits from many dealers with the LD10 which would be handy for me.

Last edited:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both. It has not been mention yet so I will chime in. The LD10 will die very quickly at the end of battery life at about 0.9V. It will start to dim and then just go out. The Quark AA will keep dimming and drain the battery well below 0.9V.

Yes, it is and the runtime graph is depends on battery types. (Please see the followings reviewed by selfbuilt.)
QAA-Hi14500.gif

Quark AA & Fenix LD10 powered by 14500 li-ion rechargeable batteries show same regulation patterns at high mode.

QAA-HiEne.gif

In case of using NiMH eneloop batteries at high mode, the runtime graph patterns between two are not so different. Of course these light's versions are not the latest.

You can see other runtime graphs for quark AA reviewed by http://www.light-reviews.com/4sevens_quarkaa/ as follows.

runtime_max.gif

runtime_high.gif

Here, http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_ld10_r4/, you can see Fenix LD10 as well.

runtime_turbo.gif

runtime_high.gif

The runtime graph patterns of two models are not so different as you have seen the above graphs.
In my view, the regulations below maximum input(appro. 4.2V) of two lights are same because those lights are buck & boost and buck circuit regulation respectively.

I have two and they are all good. Quark AA can run powered by 14500 li-ion and Fenix LD10 is well finished piece of screw threads & o-rings.

Last edited:

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I was going to get the ld10 until I thought some more and now I'm for
Sure getting the quark aa tactical. I like the momentary feature on it. It's super small and I already have the 123^2. So I'm staying loyal to 4sevens.

Weyland

Newly Enlightened
I've only got the LD10 so can't make a comparison, but I don't get criticism of it's pocket clip; I've found that to be excellent.

I'm very happy with the light in general, although I'll back up the post that said you don't get a huge amount of warning when the battery gets low (I run mine on Energiser Lithiums). Having read the comments though, I really want to get a Quark AA as well now!